Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 1:00:06 PM EDT
I got some inside intell on an entrance question for a department that I am applying for.  What would you do in a situation like this:

You pull over a van on patrol.  As you approach the van, four men get out and start walking towards you. They do not obey or acknowledge any of your commands. You can not see any weapons of any type.  You are by yourself.

MMM?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The best defense; don't be there!
BUT, having rolled up on the situation you're now faced with the dilemma. So, don't forget the option to [b]retreat[/b].
Figure your next move from there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Kneecaps.  Definitely Kneecaps.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Notify dispatch of the situation and request back up. Your best immediate move is to perform a tactical repositioning(shag ass!). You don't know what they want. They could be deaf or not speak english. By the way, you might have your weapon out as disparity of force is a possible threat in and of itself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My assumptions:
A police officer pointing a gun and yelling at you is a universal message regardless of what language you speak.

Four men coming at me at the same time, not responding to my commands means that they have a coordinated plan of some type.

With that said, and if I could, I would request backup and retreat to a safe position where I could still observe and report. I would already have the plate number and descriptions of the suspects, so we go from there.

NOTE: An addition to the hypothetical, you can see no illegal activity going on inside the van.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#5]
experiance tells me this is bad!!!!!!!If the individuals are not responding to verbal comands and still approaching your position. You may choose to reposition on foot if out side your unit if in the vehicle back the car up. I would assume you are on foot and reposition with your weapon drawn and request back up while still giving verbal directions to the individuals. If for any reason they try to circle around you this could lead to a deadly force situation. All it would take is for one of the individuals to get behind you and out flank your position even with out them having a visible weapon the others could rush you while the one behind you trips you and they all get your gun and well tex you bought the farm. This question actually happened to a texas deputy in the early 90's. If you contact Cops the tv show they may have the footage avalible.
good luck
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Get back in your car and back up away from the threat, order them to comply over your PA system, call for backup on you car radio. Watch for any new threats such as weapons to appear. If you can't get back into your vehicle, keep your vehicle between you and suspects and hope that they don't drive off with your patrol car, that would be extremely embarassing.

7th
Top Top