Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:04:11 PM EDT
Kept the analogue gauge that came with my humidor for about 6 years too long.  I knew it didn't work right (read 50%) I just never bothered to be too concerned as my sticks worked well.  I have 70% beads in my humidor for several years and finally bought a new hydrometer in my last order from CI.

Calibrated it probably 5 times so far to get it "just right" (I'm a bit of a perfectionist).  I did the salt method, using a small dish (about 3x the size of the recommended soda cap) and mixed the salt so that it wasn't dissolving or soupy - just more like a chunky paste.  Put it in a bag over night, make adjustments and then repeat till it was 75% at 70 degrees.

Put the hydrometer in my humidor and let it sit for a few hours.  Crack it open, expecting to see 70%...... Nope.  75% - WTF? I know for a fact that my beads are 70%, hell they don't even make 75% beads.

Beads are not over-hydrated, when I checked everything today about 1/2-2/3 of the beads looked hydrated while the remaining are 'white' indicating that they are dry..... If that's the case, why is my humidity so high?  

Did I screw up the calibration by using a larger amount of salt/larger container?  My sticks burn great....... I don't get it.

(If it matters, the humidor is stocked with about 60 sticks, is ~75% full.  Kept out of sun light, keeps 68-70 degrees perfectly and has a good seal.)
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, pulled the bead's out and put them in a ziplock with the hydrometer..... 85% was the reading after sitting 12 hours.

Either my beads are really screwed up, or I REALLY screwed up the calibration.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Are you useing a coolador or a humidor?
When was the last time you seasoned your humidor?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
so you have had the same setup for six years and never had an issue? If i understand you correctly I fail to see what the problem is
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

so you have had the same setup for six years and never had an issue? If i understand you correctly I fail to see what the problem is

The problem would be in the gauge itself...... is my guess......

Calibrated it using the salt method, yet it is "way off" on it's readings in the humidor.

Ref the above question, it's an actual humidor, not a cooler based cigar holder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top