Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 4:34:40 PM EDT
Well actually he won it on a board at work. But hey, he came home, said I don't want this, do you want it?
It's a stainless mini 14 NIB. Went to the gun show this afternoon looking for all the evil features to put on it. Folding stock, flash hider, 30 round mags. I know I have to wait 19 days to add it all, but didn't find what I wanted anyway.  hehehe He may just get lucky tonight.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well actually he won it on a board at work. But hey, he came home, said I don't want this, do you want it?
It's a stainless mini 14 NIB. Went to the gun show this afternoon looking for all the evil features to put on it. Folding stock, flash hider, 30 round mags. I know I have to wait 19 days to add it all, but didn't find what I wanted anyway.  hehehe He may just get lucky tonight.  

Awesome! Congrats and post pics ASAP
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome,congrats. Now post a picture so the rest of us can drool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on your new gun!

But..............

Here is the scoop on the Mini14 rifle:

1 They are inaccurate, and VERY hard to make accurate.  The AR15 is MUCH better in this aspect.  Mini 14 barrels are thin, heat up fast, and have pressure on them up near the gas port/forend area.

2 Accessories are not cheap, and since Bill Ruger helped draft the 1994 crime bill, don't look for any Ruger made highcaps in the future.  Right now factory highcap Ruger mags run $60-$80 each.  Highcap AR mags are $10-$15.

3 Mounting a scope is more expensive than the AR, and even if you mount one see #1.

I am not just parroting what I have read and heard over the years.  I'm a gunsmith and have seen the above with my own eyes time and time again.

Balming

PS, If you have an AR already, you could always keep the Mini 14 for it's "cool factor"!  It does look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
What a good hubby!  You have trained him well!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

But..............

1 They are inaccurate, and VERY hard to make accurate.  The AR15 is MUCH better in this aspect.  Mini 14 barrels are thin, heat up fast, and have pressure on them up near the gas port/forend area.

2 Accessories are not cheap, and since Bill Ruger helped draft the 1994 crime bill, don't look for any Ruger made highcaps in the future.  Right now factory highcap Ruger mags run $60-$80 each.  Highcap AR mags are $10-$15.

3 Mounting a scope is more expensive than the AR, and even if you mount one see #1.

I am not just parroting what I have read and heard over the years.  I'm a gunsmith and have seen the above with my own eyes time and time again.

Balming

PS, If you have an AR already, you could always keep the Mini 14 for it's "cool factor"!  It does look pretty cool.

Your so right, they are really just the "cool factor". For me it is cool, because it is my first long gun I don't have to share with hubby, or which he claims as his.
I doubt I will ever shoot matches with the rifle, as hubby gave it to me primarily for a plinker or home defense gun. If I really wanted accuracy, I would go with a bolt gun.
The rifle hubby got me is a stainless steel ranch model with the scope bases built in and came with rings and a fairly nice scope, which he promptly removed and put on his squirrel gun.  
They do heat up, I can't run it like I do the AR. But it will still be fun to plink and the irons will be good enough for pie plate accuracy at 100 yrds which is all I really care about. They are well built dependable rifles when using decent mags. I don't plan on buying a hundred of them, just a few.
I really do appreciate your opinion on the rifle though. It's nice that guys will take the time to explain things to a woman.

P.S. I will get pics up soon, have had company all day (antigun family... grrrr) So I haven't had much time to shoot any pics yet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty cool.  My anniversary gift this year was a pre-ban mini-14.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But..............

Balming

Your so right, they are really just the "cool factor". For me it is cool, because it is my first long gun I don't have to share with hubby, or which he claims as his.
I doubt I will ever shoot matches with the rifle, as hubby gave it to me primarily for a plinker or home defense gun. If I really wanted accuracy, I would go with a bolt gun.
The rifle hubby got me is a stainless steel ranch model with the scope bases built in and came with rings and a fairly nice scope, which he promptly removed and put on his squirrel gun.  
They do heat up, I can't run it like I do the AR. But it will still be fun to plink and the irons will be good enough for pie plate accuracy at 100 yrds which is all I really care about. They are well built dependable rifles when using decent mags. I don't plan on buying a hundred of them, just a few.
I really do appreciate your opinion on the rifle though. It's nice that guys will take the time to explain things to a woman.

P.S. I will get pics up soon, have had company all day (antigun family... grrrr) So I haven't had much time to shoot any pics yet.

She Said PIE
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!!!!  Hey, it's yours and you don't have to share!  

Just to clarify - post pics of the GUN not hubby's reward.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But..............

Balming

She Said PIE

ONLY a man would catch that!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
bring on the PIX

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a mini, the dam thing broke on me now ruger doesn't want to sell me the part to replace it. I just might be trying to do something illegal and they don't want involved
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!  Congrats!  It is really cool![
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top