Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2008 7:23:02 PM EDT
I have a KA-BAR. I let a friend see it today and he tossed it into a spare piece of sheet rock. It went through, and when I pulled it out, there was sheet rock residue on the blade. Most of it cleaned off, but some still remains at the tip.

I tried soap and water, figuring that since it's just dust like chalk it would lift off the steel, but it hasn't come up. I thought of using rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, but I don't want to screw up the black color on the blade.

How should I go about cleaning it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Try wd-40....
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The ominous "..." at the end of your statement has me reluctant to follow you advice.

Could anyone else offer a solution?
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
try to chop through a small tree with it it will come right off.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Try wd-40....

+1, or synthetic oil, or used motor oil, just NO pb blaster
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Dip it in chocolate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually wipe it off on the dudes shirt, once he's on the ground but YMMV...

... but WD-40 should work...

ETA, did you kick your 'friend' in the burrito for tossing your shit? I'd be pissed!
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow.  Its a knife, not your grandmothers silverware.

You are worried about a blemish?
Seriously, if you are that worried about a blem, WD40 will work well.  I suggest spraying some on a t-shirt like material and rubbing vigorously between your thumb and forefinger.  

by the way, sheetrock comes apart in water.  So a little elbow grease will definitely take care of it.  

Don
p.s.  even though I'm giving you crap about your anality.  It was pretty inconsiderate of your friend to shove your nice new knife through a piece of sheetrock.  Any piece of crap knife will go through.  But the sheetrock will also dull even the finest knife.  Not a nice thing to do.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Blood , it will take all the crap off..........

Open up a can of beans with it and use the knife for yer spoon and then it will be broke in and won't look so new..........oh and the sheet rock will be gone too...
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow.  Its a knife, not your grandmothers silverware.

You are worried about a blemish?

some people like to keep there stuff looking nice.. cars.. guns..knives
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Heh, thanks guys. Now I don't feel so bad. I've got no problem with the blade having battle scars, but I'm not about to throw it down the driveway, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blood , it will take all the crap off..........

Open up a can of beans with it and use the knife for yer spoon and then it will be broke in and won't look so new..........oh and the sheet rock will be gone too...

Yeah, stab somebody with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
its just a knife. relax.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the oils that come in my gun cleaning kits to clean a knife, especially if blued/parked like a ka-Bar.I figure a "firearm finish" applied to a knife can be maintained the same as if that same finish was on a firearm. Just make sure to wash the knife before cutting any food with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hardwood scraper.  Make a chisel like tip on a piece of hardwood (popsicle stick comes to mind) and scrape/chisel the drywall plaster off.  You won't scratch the blade if you are careful. It won't hurt to use a wet cloth and some elbow grease either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I use rubbing alcohol on my knives, I learned that over on Blade Forums and it has worked good for me so far.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Toss it down your driveway a few times to make it look well used..........
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Hoppes #9 works just as good on knives as it does guns.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for WD-40, which is mostly mineral spirits, a solvent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top