Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 9:57:33 PM EDT
Clothing?

I am in retail mens clothing sales.  I have done it for about six years now, and my views on how much to spend on clothes are kind of skewed.  I am into five figures since Feb of '98 and thats with a 40% discount.  But thats the job, you have to wear em to sell em.

So who wears a suit or business type clothing regularly?  How much do you expect to spend walking into a store to buy a suit?  Do you hate to shop?  Wear do you do your shopping?

I was thinking about this earlier today, in total I sold $2,600 worth of clothes.  Whenever someone spends about $600 or more I just wonder why they didn't buy a gun with that money, so my little mind is incapable of computing it all.  I buy all mine with my employee charge account, I never see the money or miss it.  Its also late and I am bored, give me something to read

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I spend very little on clothing.  Pretty much all summer, I wear shorts (from WalMart or Sam's club) and t-shirts.  

Every Fall, I probably buy three or four button-down shirts, and maybe a sweater or two and a couple of new ties, and probably a couple of pants - I'll usually buy these at a department store.  I haven't bought suits or sports-coats for about 4 years now, and since I try to avoid using them I'm not planning on buying more anytime soon.

Other than that, I buy maybe two pairs of jeans a year and throw them away when they look worn (also Sam's or WalMart).

I'd be VERY surprised if I spent more than 500 dollars on clothes in a given year.

In fact, I probably spend more on wetsuits every year than I spend on real clothes
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends. Spending on clothes is a function of income for me. Minimum (on suits, shirts, ties, shoes) due to work is probably $1800/yr. If I am flush, it can go 3 times that or more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
1/2 my income goes to gun related stuff, 1/4 to bills and 1/4 to food.  I spend about 200.00 a year on clothes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I figured this would be a bad place to ask, most of us spend way more on guns than the average bear.  Keep it coming anyway!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I buy underware, T-shirts and BDU's.  I have other nice clothes but am not sure where they came from.  WIfe just told me to put them on one day so I did.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I shop at the Salvation Army store
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I buy underware, T-shirts and BDU's.  I have other nice clothes but am not sure where they came from.  WIfe just told me to put them on one day so I did.

SGatr15

She is going to bury you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
hanes t-shirt
Jeans,
socks
boxers.

all can be found at Sams.

i try to help the third world contries as much as i can.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I like buying nice clothes but Im a bargain shopper, I never pay full retail prices. I spend several hundred dollars each year on clothing and shoes
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

She is going to bury you.

Trust me...I know where the money is going.  As long as it's under a certain limit I could care less.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
i can get a full set of working clothes for 40$ at the trift store or the Salvashin army
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#13]
And a dictionary for $5.99 at Wal-Mart......
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Costco Kirkland Jeans, 12.99 (Best jeans I've ever owned, btw)

Mervyns t-shirt 7-10 bucks on sale

Old Navy Boxers 5.50

Old Navy sweatshirt/sweater 10.00 after christmas sale.

Shoes from Target 19.99

Socks from Costco, about a buck a pair.

Well, that is about what I wear every day, so about $60.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I spend almost nothing on clothes.  People give me clothes as gifts because they know I spend my money on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I just walk around naked until somebody gives me some clothes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Because of my work I wear both business attire and business-casual type stuff.  I haven't bought any business related items so far this year (even though I prbably should). I usually hit places like Burlington Coat Factory for slacks, jackets and shirts.  I tend to buy worsted (sp?) wool slacks and sports coats/jackets.  Since I have built up my wardrobe I tend to replace shirts more than anything else.  (Like I said before, I should get a few other things replaced).  

For business casual look I try to copy the "Orvis" company look.  This stuff I can find at Target and Burlington Coat Factory. Target's Cherokee line of stuff is pretty decent quality for the money.  It's great for travel in that it washes in the machine and I can iron it myself. Throw on a black or  blue blazer (or my favorite "Orvis" canvas  travel jacket) with it and I clean up pretty good, without spending a boat load of cash.

Away from work, I'm a blue jeans and polo/golf shirt kinda guy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]
On average, I probably spend about $250.00 per year on clothes.
I NEVER wear a suit.  Almost never wear a tie.
But! that doesn't mean that I'm a slob.  I'll buy good shirts and shorts (don't need to do this very often) from Cabella's, Bean's, etc.  Jeans from Sear's, underwear and shoes (tennies mostly) form Kohl's.  I look for discounts and sales.  
I've got a sufficient existing stockpile of old sports jackets, old ties (and even a couple of suits!) if the occassional "emergency" arises.
I'm always presentable and always casual!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
very little
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top