Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:01 AM EDT
The wife and I are looking at getting our first house shortly.  The one thing that I really wanted was a rec rm so I could have my own sanctuary to drink beer, smoke cigarettes, watch movies loudly, and of course play with my guns.  Well, she found a house that she really likes, a ranch style in our price range,  but of course...no rec room.  It has a two car garage that I  thought could be remodeled into a room or a room and a one car garage.  Nothing special.  Just walls, a ceiling, flooring, a window, and duct work for heat and air.  And maybe a dry bar if I had enough money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Do your neighbors a favor and use the garage to keep your cars in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
no basement?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what area you're living in, but the paint job on your car(s) will last a lot longer in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
wish I had a garage  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the garage attached or detached? Brick or siding or stucco?

If attached, you are looking at about $10 grand or so.   The important thing I would look into is the capacity of your A/C.   Depending on the actual square footage you are going to add, your existing unit may not be able to heat/cool any more additional space.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it a parking ramp or parking garage?!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
legally or illegaly?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the garage attached or detached? Brick or siding or stucco?

If attached, you are looking at about $10 grand or so.

I'd say that's a pretty good rough estimate. The cost largely depends on you. How fancy do you want to get? How much, if any of the work do you plan to do? etc

The important thing I would look into is the capacity of your A/C.   Depending on the actual square footage you are going to add, your existing unit may not be able to heat/cool any more additional space.

Definitely something to check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top