Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 8:27:02 PM EDT
My state has no state limits (only Fed.gov ones)

From the Brady Camp:
Although it is illegal in every state to hunt animals with more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and although semiautomatic assault weapons are useless for recreational activities,..

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
5 in rifles, 3 in shotguns
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
3 in shotguns, you could put a cmag on your rifle though, they don't care.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
5 round magazine for a centerfire semi-auto rifle. As for shotguns you can bring a USAS-12 with a 20 round drum.

I just go into Alabama and can use my 30 round AR mags and 20 round FAL mags for hunting.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
California there is no limit of rilfe ammo. Yes you can lug around a 30 round mag in your AR if ya want.
Shotugn is 3 in the gun
2 in the magazine 1 in the chamber
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
For waterfowl, 3 shells.

Anything else, you are only limited by your strength.

I'm tempted to get a Shrike upper, and take a 200 rnd belt deer hunting. I can jsut imagine the comments.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
As many as you can fit in the mag for everything except waterfowl.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Its 5 in Michigan for rifles, 3 for shotguning for birds, but of deer season you can put five in your shotgun. Rimfire has no limit. Pistol is 10 but it used to be 15.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]

excerpted quotes from New York State DEC website

Manner of Taking
[url]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/hunting.html#Possession[/url]
It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:
-with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
-with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
-with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches....

Prohibitions (for hunting Migratory Gamebirds)
[url]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/migbregs.html[/url]
You may NOT hunt migratory game birds using these methods:
-With a shotgun that holds more than three shells, unless it has a plug that cannot be removed without taking the shotgun apart.
-With a shotgun larger than 10 gauge, or with a rifle or handgun.
-With a swivel gun, battery gun, machine gun, or explosive.

Special regs for LawnGuyLand (Long Island, Suffolk county)
[url]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wma/smland.htm[/url]
Manner of Taking: Shotgun, using a single ball or slug, or a muzzleloading rifle, shooting a single projectile, having a minimum bore of .44 inches. Shotgun barrels may be rifled, and telescopic sights may be used. No muzzleloading pistols are permitted...
View Quote

So, other than LI, using either my my AR-10 or my M4 would be fine, so long as I have just 5 round mags on me.

edited to add:

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
TEXAS - migratory game birds - 3 rounds total
otherwise no limit
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Slightly off topic, but:

[url]http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/smallgame.html#Furbearer[/url]

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken. The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, wild pigeon, monk parakeet and snapping turtle. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm
Furbearer Hunting:
To hunt furbearers, you need to possess a junior hunting, small game hunting, sportsman, nonresident hunting, or nonresident combination license. A trapping or big game license does not allow you to hunt furbearers. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.

You may hunt red and gray fox, coyote, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, mink, weasel and opossum.
-If you take a coyote or bobcat, it must be tagged and sealed .
-You may use a call, including an electronic call.
-You may hunt furbearers only after sunrise on the opening day. They may be taken at any hour, day or night, for the rest of their hunting season.
-Skunk may be hunted during their open trapping season.
-Mink may be hunted in the Southern Zone with a .22 caliber firearm during their open trapping season. Mink may not be hunted with a firearm in the Northern Zone
-Muskrat may only be hunted on Lake Champlain during the open trapping seasonwith a firearm not larger than a .22 caliber.
-You may hunt furbearers during the day using any handgun, shotgun or rifle. You may hunt at night as described below:

Furbearer Hunting at Night
You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

-Use any handgun.
-Use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
-Use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas restricted to using a shotgun only for deer.

[b][red]If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed above.[/b][/red]
View Quote

Did I really need any more justification to buy a pair of NVGs and a NV scope?[:D]
[img]http://www.forcerecon.com/images/strong/22ath.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
10 rounds max in every state? Either that's wrong, or I've been hunting with 20 more than I should be.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
10 rounds max in every state? Either that's wrong, or I've been hunting with 20 more than I should be.
View Quote

No, the statement is corret, IF using a post-9/94 manufactured (post-ban) magazine which cannot be more than 10 ruonds for only civilians. They will twist the wording to make it sound illegal, like leaving out information... Just like post-86 machines guns are illegal (in most cases), they will say that machine guns are illegal, even though they are not....
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
In Texas it's any amount goes, unless you are hunting Migratory Game birds, which the Fed's make the rules on. 3 rounds in the gun when hunting Migratory game birds. Although I do think they had an UN plugged shotgun season on geese this year. Oh, and shotguns only on Migratory game birds. Quail are ok to pop with your .22
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top