Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2001 1:11:25 PM EDT
I got my first AR a couple months ago and I'm so proud I could just $%&@!!!  It's a Colt preban 20" A2.  Still hiding it from the wife and kids.

But you know, after spending some time surfing this board I feel inadequate.  It seems everone has 2,3,4,... AR's.  What gives.  Should I get another one?  If so, which make / style.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Get as many as you can and then hold on to them REAL tight!

Hey there a lot of folks out there who would love to have just one - count yourself fortunate.

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If you already have an AR, why don't you get another great gun, but in a different caliber? How about a nice .308 battle rifle? Take a look at [url]www.dsarms.com[/url].

DSA makes the finest FAL rifles ever produced, from scratch, right here in America. Superior materials, superior production techniques, simply an incredible rifle.

There's no shortage of AR's, if you want one later, get another. For now, I'd recommed adding an FAL from D.S.Arms, there is no finer. Period.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You selfish prig! You are hiding your preban
AR from your wife and kids and thinking about getting another because some members have more than you do. You are a selfish selfcentered
little shit.
I would advise you to come clean with your
family and include them in the art of the ar.
Your kids will probably think you are great Dad
and very cool. What do kids know?
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
At least one rifle (20" you have) and one carbine (16"). Minimum!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
1.  One per family member

2.  one spare to loan to friends for shoots

3.  one spare in case of trouble

4.  one different configuration

5.  one more than you think you "need"
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with MDS!![beer]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hangfire,

I know what you mean.  In fact, my kids have caught me with it a couple of times, and said "Daddy!!! does mommy know about that???"  I would reply "yes girls,  but please don't remind her of it; if your good I'll take you to Toys-R-Us or Chucky-Cheese"  --- "But Daddy that is a terrible looking black gun, why do you have that?".... And I would say, "Its a tool just like my rake or shovel sweety"  I dont know if they buy it.  But so far the coast is clear.  

To summarize, my wife and kids know I have guns, like the old Rem. 870, .22 LR, even an old bolt action deer rifle.. but an assault weapon, they would shit!!!  

I live in a Politically correct neighborhood.  Most of my neighbors dont own anything, so I cant let the mag out of the bag......  (by the way - my wife saw me playing with my 12 30 rd mags the other night and said "WHAT ARE THOSE!!"  I replied, army surplus stuff I've been buying with my old buddies on the south side dear...)"  she would reply "I dont know about you anymore, your acting kinda strange"...

I guess its time to take her and the kids to the range, and show em what their going to inherit one day...

Isn't great being armed to the teeth in a neighborhood of spit shined wimpy politically correct MF's...
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
There`s that "most useless word " in a gunners vocab again..........(need)........[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if this is worth anything but I will throw it out.  

Keeping it from your family and bribing your kids to keep quiet is a BAD idea.  Since they may be getting the 'idea' something is going on you need to do something.  You need to work on educating them.  If you have not already, teach your kids to shoot the .22 and work up.  Also keep educating yourself, your 'assault rifle' is a bogus term derived by liberals to fool the uneducated into thinking all 'evil' rifles are full auto and kill children.  Take them to the range, take safety classes.  If you have taken them and they have not take it with them anyway.  Make them more comfortable and reinforce it for yourself.  
That's just my $.02, if it is worth anything.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Is'nt collecting high priced toys great?  I truely love it, just pray that the title II bug does'nt bite.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is'nt collecting high priced toys great?  I truely love it, just pray that the title II bug does'nt bite.[:D]
View Quote
                                             Then maybe "need" will become a real word again...........[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Q: How many ARs do you need?

A: Just one...... MORE...

That's all you ever need. Just one more. When you get that one, then you need just one more...

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Hicap, I had 5 at one point. Better things came along and I needed money so now I only have 2, a 24" and a 14.5". Love 'em both equaly for their quite different purposes.

My next toy is going to be class III, so due to a fairly large dent in the checkbook I hope I can be happy with just three again.

I would tent to agree with the "Just one more...." statement. AR's can be VERY addictive, be careful or you'll need therapy like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you only really [i]need[/i] just one AR, and you already have the best configuration for the single AR owner, a fullsize 20" pre-ban, the Jack-of-all-trades of the AR world. And a Colt to boot, no less. With that rifle as a base you can turn it into any variation that you so desire.

Where it starts getting tricky is when you no longer want to swap parts around so much. This is why I believe the 3 ARs is the fewest I will ever make do with again. They would be

1) A full size 20" pre-ban in USGI A2 configuration

2) A pre-ban CAR/M4/carbine of some sort

3) A dedicated target/varmint setup using either a pre- or post-ban lower as a bayo lug, collapsible stock, or flack suppression are not important or even desireable features on this particular rifle

Those basic 3 will offer you the most flexibility while allowing you to avoid swapping swapping parts back and forth.

Of course, if you are the type who has to have 2 of everything, has extras available for children and friends, just plain materialistic, etc, then your collection obviously gets larger. I'm about to hit 6 myself. One of the real beauties of owning multiple ARs without the consent of the wife is that they all look so similar to the untrained eye. Once you are known to have 2, the rest is easy as pie. Just don't them all been seen at once.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Boomer,

I see you are also a graduate of the McManus School of Firearms Collection. Not only AR's, but ALL guns look alike to the untrained eye -- therefore, you only need to sweat through your first two purchases: a rifle and a pistol.

Actually, my wife likes to shoot mine. If she had more time, I probably would have to get in line to use it.

NMSight
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I now have 3.....but still lookin'.   Save your bribe money (Chuck E. Cheese and Toys'R'Us) and use it to buy another.  My girlfriend saw that I had my first two and I explained that they were his and hers models.

M4....Thanks to you, I see whats next on my want/need list.

better get back to work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top