Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 8:31:33 AM EDT
DRIFTING considered a sport???

It's idiots going the slowest possible way around the track...  

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Same reason why Cowboy Action Shooting is considered a sport, style and execution.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]

you mean like drifting in the ocean?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#4]
"Idiots"?

It actually takes some real tecnique and know-how. Back in the day, I played around in bomber class at the local dirt track, it'll give you a new perspective on "being one" with your car. Even if you disagree with what they're doin', it sorta makes you appreciate the skills involved.

t
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen that one yet.

I am still trying to figure out how golf is a sport.

It is an activity, not a sport.

Like playing pool or poker, activities, not sports.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same reason why Cowboy Action Shooting is considered a sport, style and execution.

In CAS your goal is still to have the best score and cross the line first...  In drifting it only matters how well you drift which has NO application in real life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Idiots"?

It actually takes some real tecnique and know-how. Back in the day, I played around in bomber class at the local dirt track, it'll give you a new perspective on "being one" with your car. Even if you disagree with what they're doin', it sorta makes you appreciate the skills involved.

t

Dirt track oval racing is NOT the same thing as drifting...  It does take some serious skill do drive a vehicle with 3 different sized tires fast.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Idiots"?

t

Fucking a sheep in the ass is incredibly difficult as well, but at the end of the day...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In CAS your goal is still to have the best score and cross the line first...  In drifting it only matters how well you drift which has NO application in real life.

I'm not a fan of drifting, but how can you say there's NO application in real life?  Haven't you ever kicked the tail out on purpose while coming around a turn, added some counter steer and ripped through the turn sideways just for fun?  

Not everyone wants to hit the apex at max speed with a clean exit, some like to go sideways for fun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
you think thats bad.. ESPN has grown men competing in "JUMP ROPING"  

i was flipping channels.... say that ... and thaught  when the hell did i get  ESPN 8 ----   the OUCHO!  

really grown men jumping rope,,,   with comentators and everything,,,
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Watch the movie "Initial D" - it will give you a better understanding/appreciation for drifting.

ETA - I am not referring to the cartoon. The movie itself is humorous, but the mountain pass driving scenes are excellent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Idiots"?

t

Dirt track oval racing is NOT the same thing as drifting...  It does take some serious skill do drive a vehicle with 3 different sized tires fast.  

Maybe I'm not up on the subject matter then. At first thought, it sounds like skiddin' out of control across a wet parking lot. Can you describe the sport a lil more accurately?

Me, I drive a supercharged/4whl independent susp/quick-steering car that's quite heavy and would probably get a kick out've tryin' to do controlled skids in a wide-open area.

t
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
competative eating > drifting
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]

colored smoke
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Drifting = figure skating in cars
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Drifting is the ice dancing of motorsports.  

ETA: damn, beaten by seconds
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Watch WRC and tell me drifting has no application.

And yes, it is how fast you can go through the stage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw an idiot "drifting" in a mall parking lot a few months ago. It turned out to be someone who attended my school. He ran into a light post and totaled his car.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not into it personally, but it's not like it's easy.  It's a lot more than just 'driving slow'.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go to SASS matches to shoot and socialize.  I don't care that they keep score.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah but the purpose of WRC isnt just to kill your tires

I understand that learning how to control a drift is essential in motorsports, however most drivers try to AVOID drifting as you lose time and momentum.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
competative eating > drifting

You got me there....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
It is certainly not easy. I watched some Dodge factory drivers do it with SRT10 pickups and also Vipers on a little figure 8 track. The track was so small I think 2 of them would have fit on a football field, and there were utility poles, too. They never stopped spinning their wheels, steering with throttle as much as steering wheel and their skill level was VERY impressive. This was at Daytona..
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but the purpose of WRC isnt just to kill your tires

I understand that learning how to control a drift is essential in motorsports, however most drivers try to AVOID drifting as you lose time and momentum.

This is simply not true, in rally racing, drfiting helps you carry speed through a corner while still making the turn.  If you had to slow to a speed to avoid drifting you would lose all of that momentum.  

I am no big fan of Formula D or whatever the hell they call it, but I think it is easily just as valid a motorsport as many other forms.  

I know I will get flamed for this, but having watched several on Speed,  I found it more entertaining than any nascar race I ever tuned into.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Anything that has judges is not a sport. A sport has a way to keep score and then there is a winner. Subjective judging is not applicable since it is an opinion and not a goal derived from a set of common requirements.

i.e. you carry the ball across a line in football, throw the ball through the hoop in basketball, complete a distance in less time than everyone else in a race, etc.

in figure skating, drifting, and gymnastics you complete the same tasks as everyone else then someone rates your performance on a scale and then orders the performances.

This is not to take away the incredible skills demonstrated in judged competitions but they are not sports.

96Ag
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Idiots"?

t

Fucking a sheep in the ass is incredibly difficult as well, but at the end of the day...

You clearly haven't seen EXTREME sheep fucking with the insertable south african anti-rape dentata.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm not a fan of drifting, but how can you say there's NO application in real life?  Haven't you ever kicked the tail out on purpose while coming around a turn, added some counter steer and ripped through the turn sideways just for fun?  

Perhaps "useful/practical application in real life" would have been a better way of putting it.  I think it was a tactful way of saying it's useless and lame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#28]
What? Like NASCAR takes skill?

Whadoidodude? Just keep going round anticlockwise with your foot nailed to the floor…

Anyways… watch THIS… drifting in a 65 ton tank!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Whadoidodude? Just keep going round anticlockwise with your foot nailed to the floor…

Ok, that was PFC!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ignore the lame techno music and watch the one driver at 1:05.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVW4SSZkck

Anyone familiar with WRC possibly remember the driver's name?

Colin McRae?  And?  What does WRC have to do with drifting as a "sport"?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

when was the last time you drove 500 miles in heavy traffic at 200 mph on a hot summer day with a nomex suit.
I not a fan of Nascar but it's not as easy as stomping a gas pedal and turning left
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

WOW those spoilers must be real effective at 6 mph.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the response twonami is articulating, is that you are correct, the spolier doesnt do much at 6mph however when these cars are at full speed (~150mph) they might have a llittle more effectiveness...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Tire Company Executive:  We have a very good product, but we're not selling enough tires.

Tire Company Lackey:  Well, our tires are so good that they do their job really well, and they last a long time.  We could increase the price...

TCE:  They'll just buy discount tires then.  Consumers are stupid, and will buy the lowest cost tire five times instead of the second lowest cost tire once.

TCL:  Well then, we could...

TCE:  Could what?

TCL:  ...we could create some bullshit sport where the whole POINT of the sport is to burn the tires up as fast as possible.

TCE:  Well, there's already drag racing, but that only uses them up a little bit every pass.  Autocrossing is pretty aggressive, but people often only use one set of tires a season.

TCL:  What about burnout contests?

TCE:  Too high-school-parking-lot.  Can you come up with some sort of sport that involves driving over nails?

TCL:  How about...we send them around a small track, and tell them they earn points for keeping the car almost sideways the whole time?  Basically a rolling burnout contest, sponsored by Tire Company Inc.?

TCE:  That's it!  We'll have to get some really nutty people to start it off...maybe the Europeans, or...no, the Japanese.  The Japanese will do it.   Talk to our Asian division, it's time for a new "sport".

TCL:  Will do!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the response twonami is articulating, is that you are correct, the spolier doesnt do much at 6mph however when these cars are at full speed (~150mph) they might have a llittle more effectiveness...

MONGO LIKE WRC!

This is my favorite. It shows just how difficult WRC really is. And the music adds to the video IMHO.

WRC Racing - Linkin Park In the End

pa-15
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Tire Company Executive:  We have a very good product, but we're not selling enough tires.

Tire Company Lackey:  Well, our tires are so good that they do their job really well, and they last a long time.  We could increase the price...

TCE:  They'll just buy discount tires then.  Consumers are stupid, and will buy the lowest cost tire five times instead of the second lowest cost tire once.

TCL:  Well then, we could...

TCE:  Could what?

TCL:  ...we could create some bullshit sport where the whole POINT of the sport is to burn the tires up as fast as possible.

TCE:  Well, there's already drag racing, but that only uses them up a little bit every pass.  Autocrossing is pretty aggressive, but people often only use one set of tires a season.

TCL:  What about burnout contests?

TCE:  Too high-school-parking-lot.  Can you come up with some sort of sport that involves driving over nails?

TCL:  How about...we send them around a small track, and tell them they earn points for keeping the car almost sideways the whole time?  Basically a rolling burnout contest, sponsored by Tire Company Inc.?

TCE:  That's it!  We'll have to get some really nutty people to start it off...maybe the Europeans, or...no, the Japanese.  The Japanese will do it.   Talk to our Asian division, it's time for a new "sport".

TCL:  Will do!

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Top Top