Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:36:58 PM EDT
I just learned my mother is voting for Kerry.  I am tempted to banish her from my house (perhaps forever).  What really makes me mad is that I will probably have to take care of her when she retires soon (which I do not mind as she is my mother), but a vote for Kerry is a vote to raise my taxes (no dispute based upon what I earn).  So, you see, she is voting to have me give money to the government that could otherwise be used to take care of her.

So, am I over reacting?  Should I ever let her see her grand kids?  Should I banish her but let her see her grand kids?  By the way, she called me a radical, and as far as I am concerned, I am middle of the road where the road was supposed to have been built.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You are kidding, right?  And you forgot the smiley, right?  Please tell me this is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, partly kidding.  It has been a tough day, but there is part of me that is raging with anger.  She cannot give one reason why, other than Dick Cheney is "evil."
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If you cannot have civilized conversations with loved ones about certain topics, just avoid those topics.

Almost half the people in this country like Kerry - it's not completely unlikely that one of them will be in your family.

What are going to do when one of your kids grows up to be a hippy??     It COULD happen.  Blood is thicker than that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My mother is voting for Kerry. She told me she would pray for me (she is VERY religious) that I wouldn't vote for Bush.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost my entire family supports Kerry.  At dinner the other night, my Grandma called supporting Bush stupid.  But they are still my family and I owe them everything and love them, so I don't let things like that affect my relationship with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Moms is pro-Bush / Cheney.  She's also pro-gun.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I can say that no one in my immediate family will be voting for sKerry.  My brother and I have done a good job getting Mom on the straight and narrow.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Sedate her and move her out into the yard in her bed. Tape a note to her forehead that says Vote Bush or don't vote at all... Vote Kerry and you'll be on the curb on trash day morning next time.

If I were in that position I would tell my mother that shit would not stand as long as she's living in my house.

On a side note, I managed to turn convert my father based on gun issues alone. Pretty impressive as he has always been a Democrat being a union man and all... he finally saw the light and realized the Dems don't give a rats ass about the working man... just the money he makes that they use to give to the non-working man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Who cares how the hell she votes, She's your mom. The end

GM
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The other piece of the puzzle is we live in Arizona.  I do not think my mother's vote will give Arizona's electoral votes to Kerry.  But I have to tell you, when someone cannot give a reason for why they are voting the way they are voting, it makes me made.  I have a lot of democratic friends and employees, but atleast they think they have reasons for their vote (my p.i. attorney buddies do not want campaign finance reform, some racial minority pals do not want affirmative action changed, my pro death (pro abortion) friends do not want anything changed, etc...)  It is the lack of a reason that infuriates me.  Plus, I made her promise after Clinton in '92 that she would never vote democratic again, and she had promised!

But, it still infuriates me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just resign yourself to the fact that your vote will cancel out her vote.

I'm getting ready to commit my mom to the psych ward (for real).

Wanna trade problems?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Throw her out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top