Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 8:32:10 AM EDT

Do you:

Work in a people-oriented manner, ensuring effective coomunication with all team members, and making sure everyone's feedback is acknowledged? Do you go out of your way to make sure egos are not bruised and smooth out potential interpersonal conflicts?

OR

Are you task-oriented, with little patience with those team members who are not as skilled or knowledgable as you are? Do you expect people to accept the facts and conform to them with no regard to their egos (check your ego at the door attitude)?

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
C.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Of my options, I'm more of the latter, but trying to change.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
... the later, with a healthy dose of the first senario because of business environment politics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't really have a "team" per se at work.

I am the only one running my server, and for the most part I handle the goals set by my superior in a timely organized (okay that is stretching it) manner.

I do play well with others, though i got an unsatisfactory because i run with scissors.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm more of a loner. I prefer to lead rather than follow.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't really have a "team" per se at work.

I am the only one running my server, and for the most part I handle the goals set by my superior in a timely organized (okay that is stretching it) manner.

I do play well with others, though i got an unsatisfactory because i run with scissors.

and play with guns. Bad!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Task-oriented loner.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Do you:

Work in a people-oriented manner, ensuring effective coomunication with all team members, and making sure everyone's feedback is acknowledged? Do you go out of your way to make sure egos are not bruised and smooth out potential interpersonal conflicts?

OR

Are you task-oriented, with little patience with those team members who are not as skilled or knowledgable as you are? Do you expect people to accept the facts and conform to them with no regard to their egos (check your ego at the door attitude)?

I work alone with PLCs and the machines they control. No people involved. It's almost nirvana
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm definitey somewhere in the middle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Task
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a dick.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, my heart pumps the blood which the lungs fill with oxygen. That goes up to the head to keep the brain thinking but I think my dick is charge of the whole operation.
Seems to be anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread smells of someone who was recently forced to attend "Communication Styles" training in the workplace.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]
If they can't cut the mustard I fire em... Anymore questions?
--RR
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a dick.

I'm an asshole but only when I don't try to be a dick.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, my heart pumps the blood which the lungs fill with oxygen. That goes up to the head to keep the brain thinking but I think my dick is charge of the whole operation.
Seems to be anyway.

Why is it that the "head"with the "no-brains"is the one that gets it's way so often?Guess that makes me a dick head.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Task-oriented.
Meyers-Briggs ISTJ, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a dick.

I'm an asshole but only when I don't try to be a dick.

Hey, buddy, would you please get the hell out of my way so I can fix this???

Thanks, buddy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, if the morons that work with me can't recognize my superior intellect and skills, why should I bother to acknowledge their existence?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This thread smells of someone who was recently forced to attend "Communication Styles" training in the workplace.

I did "People Styles at Work" for a Mangement class I recently took.  These styles sound a lot like what was covered.

Mostly crap, but it does give you an idea of how other people think.

My take-away was that I really don't care how you do your job. As long as it gets done, right, and on-time.  That is all that matters.

If you can do this you will do well on my team.  If not, I will make your life a living hell.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My take-away was that I really don't care how you do your job. As long as it gets done, right, and on-time.  That is all that matters.

So get the fuck outta my way, I have a job to do.  

I need the job to get done, and done right, right now.  I guess I'm a lackluster team member.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
B.

9-1-1 what is your emergency?

You guys will never know just how much MOST (not all) FireFighters and Cops bitch about acutally working......  JUST GET THE HELL TO WHERE YOU NEED TO BE!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
The latter.  I'm an engineer.  I work as an analyst.  It will either work or it will not.  Who cares about feelings with things so cut and dry?

I will give some body more grief if it looks like they are polishing knob to look good.  I have no tolerance for "male chicken" suckers as they are the ones who would pound your "donkey" without the courtesy of a reach-around.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I ask this because my work environment is dominated by females. Not to say they outnumber the men, but the men here are so passive that the women usually have their way (my supervisor being one of them). My supervisor, a 50's male, is so ineffective it makes me cringe, but he gets by with having a good personality because of said female domination.

I, on the other hand, am task-oriented and not really a good flatterer (though I try to be fair). Grr.

So far, the responses have been by men, and I think men are usually more task-oriented.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
i would pick B

I used to be A but i work with too many idiots.

There is no "I" in team. But there is an "ME" and thats who ends up wih most of the headaches.

I work for IBM and teamwork is the game of the year. Last year i figured out what IBM stands for.

I'm
By
Myself !!

mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, I know the feeling.  I am only passive until I have to tell some hapless engineer his design will not work.  The chicken chokers usually take it personally, thinking I don't like their design or they specified the wrong color when in actuality, someone could get killed if the design were built and used.

They just do not get it...their calculations "prove" the design works but what they miss is the finer details that are lost in the educational process.  And the other is scale.  

One engineer was dealing with a 1.2 million pound load and thought a W12X106 beam was sufficient because the span was short.  Never mind shear flow...when I suggested a W14X211, he about crapped a cinder block because that would be TWICE as heavy.  For a 1,200,000 pound load, 105 pounds of ste4el per foot of beam made a difference.  Engineering school must be getting mighty easy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So far, the responses have been by men

Clean, your original question was a damned good one.  I would suggest, if you want female feedback, you should repost this in the women's forum.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Employees do what is required of them, however I require it of them.

Anyone unhappy with that doeesn't last long.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yes, I know the feeling.  I am only passive until I have to tell some hapless engineer his design will not work.  The chicken chokers usually take it personally, thinking I don't like their design or they specified the wrong color when in actuality, someone could get killed if the design were built and used.

They just do not get it...their calculations "prove" the design works but what they miss is the finer details that are lost in the educational process.  And the other is scale.  

One engineer was dealing with a 1.2 million pound load and thought a W12X106 beam was sufficient because the span was short.  Never mind shear flow...when I suggested a W14X211, he about crapped a cinder block because that would be TWICE as heavy.  For a 1,200,000 pound load, 105 pounds of ste4el per foot of beam made a difference.  Engineering school must be getting mighty easy.

My "dumbass brother" has his PE (EE) stamp.  He makes me drive 75 miles to change a plug or switch out for him.  He's a rare "good engineer".  I've worked a couple of jobs he drew(had drawn?).  He can take the heat.

I worked construction for 15 years as an electrician, under the "Iron Hand of The Engineer".

I feel your pain....
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#31]
"A"

I wish I could be more like a "B," but it's just not feasible in my work environment...
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I run the first machine on a production line, I form all the steel to send off to the welders, so I would choose A here,
There are 16 people on this production line, and 1"line support" who thinks he is the boss, I go out of my way to personally piss this slacker off everyday. I hate people who act like this jerk off, and if this was the Navy he would have had a blanket party years ago.

The last time I checked support means th help out when needed not push buttons to get people pissed off.

opps   sorry about the rant
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]

If you want to get the job done correctly.."B" and the ones who can't perform....Bye!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I tell my men pretty regularly:
I rent your ass and your head, hold back on either one and I'm getting screwed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top