Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 2:42:25 PM EDT
I'm in the mood for some smoked cheddar but I don't want to pay $15/lb for the stuff.
Could I just buy some Vermont Cheddar and smoke it myself?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm in the mood for some smoked cheddar but I don't want to pay $15/lb for the stuff.
Could I just buy some Vermont Cheddar and smoke it myself?

you get some paper, roll some cheese in it, light it and there you go!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking about doing this in my smoker in the winter, to keep a low fire with constant smoke, but cold enough to not melt the cheese.
With 90 degree weather the past few weeks, not going to happen for a while
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Same way you smoke pole....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Same way you smoke pole....

Really don't have a technique in place for that.  How do you do it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In the past I've not had a cool enough smoker, just one of those red electric keg type units.

So I would grate the cheese on a large hole box grater and put the cheese on a deep dish pie pan and smoke it until it melted. Them I'd put it in the fridge to harden a bit.

I used the smoked cheese to make Webber Kettle Quasadias.

Take two large flour tortillas, spread grated smoked cheese in a thin layer keeping the cheese about two inches from the edge of the tortilla. Spread a few tablespoons of smoky salsa over it, moisten the bare two inches of tortilla with water and lime juice and cover with a second tortilla pressing the edges to seal well. Grill in the kettle until nicely colored on each side, extra points for getting the grill marks to make an X patten.

Cut into pie shaped wedges and serve with hot sauce and beer.

ETA:
Now that I have a real heavy iron smoker, I'd approach it a little differently, trying to keep it cool enough not to melt the cheese and smoke it a lot longer.

efxguy
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
How hot do smokers get? Could try just throwing some cheese in the coolest part of one and seeing what happens.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The hardest part is keeping it lit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
These mini-chief smokers work well for smoking cheese.

www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0005854.shtml
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Bong, you cant go wrong with a bong
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The hardest part is keeping it lit.

I smoked a trout once.

It made my head swim.

<!rimshot!>
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Cold smoke it.  You need a separate hot box, which contains the wood/fire, and a cold box, which contains the cheese, connected by a passageway for the smoke to flow into.   A small fan to move the smoke, helps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
d
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Really need a two piece unit, home made ones work great for this, a burner box for your smoke making, then pipe the exhaust into your food box with dryer vent with a small fan.  More vent, more heat lost, cooler food box.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Most smokers are warm/hot smokers, wrong for cheese.  Cool smoking is done at temps below 40 F.  Use a old, crappy fridge.  It will never be right again.

Get a handfull of wood chips, a coffee can and half dozen lit briquettes, ashed over grey.

Put the lit briquettes in the empty coffee can, then throw the wood chips on top.  Put this in the RUNNING fridge and let the fire burn out.  Don't open the fridge for a few hours.

This is how sausages are smoked for the cold smoke method.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
pack it in a pipe and light up
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have been thinking about doing this in my smoker in the winter, to keep a low fire with constant smoke, but cold enough to not melt the cheese.
With 90 degree weather the past few weeks, not going to happen for a while

You forgot the special lighter....

HH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
OP gonna regret this thread.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top