Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 12:42:38 PM EDT
I went to a class last week where I was told that making a statment like "in my oppinion, you should do it this way" is considered giving legal advice, the instructer said "as soon as you say "in my oppinion", you had better have an law license!". I found this odd and disturbing, because I've worked in many cases with attourneys and was allways told that if I said it's just my oppinion it's OK and I can't be held to it, in other words, "oppinions are like ass holes, everyones got one". I want to tell the instructer to go see an attouney so she gets her story straight, but I need to know I'm right first. I may go see the pre-payed legal service that we have.

Are any of you attourneys?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Professors do not live in the real world nor know what they are talking about. They "teach" because they are incapable of real work where they are not protected by tenure
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what kind of advice you are giving, but yes you can get in trouble by offering your "opinion" in more ways than one.  If you offer your opinion on how to handle a legal issue or situation, you may be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.  Furthermore, if you offer your opinion on how to handle real estate issues, and someone relies on you as an "expert"  you would be held to a higher standard and could be liable if the person is damaged in some way.  The "opinions are like assholes" defense isn't going to help you in that case.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this a trick question?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Professors do not live in the real world nor know what they are talking about. They "teach" because they are incapable of real work where they are not protected by tenure

I call Bull shit on this

My law professor last semester was an attorney in the AG's office.  I think she handles mostly UCC stuff.  Very nice, knoweldgeable, and professional.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion, that instructor is an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Oslow, I'm with you.  I just graduated law school and they are all a bunch of useless a-holes.  Tenure protects the mediocre.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top