Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:51:36 AM EDT
I remember seeing a mechanic magnetize a screwdriver when I was a kid. I thought he hooked it up to a 12V battery with wire. I tried that and got nothing. Anybody help me out on this or do I remember something that never happened and is unpossible?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:02:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:26:01 AM EDT
You can lightly magnatize things by simply rubbing a magnet down the item 10-15 times going the same direction each time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:17:31 AM EDT
If you coil wire around the shank of the screwdriver and then hook each end to a battery, you can have an electromagnet. Won't permanently magnetize it though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:22:01 PM EDT
Leave it attached to a magnet over night.

I use a magnetic screwdriver one time on a screw, and that screw becomes magnetized itself. Now it will stick itself to non magnetic screwdrivers.

I imagine that would work for the driver too, being as I have no idea how my screwdriver became magnetized in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:07:53 PM EDT
I used to do this with a wire wrapped cardboard tube, 120v receptacle and a piece of aluminum foil as a fuse.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:22:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NoVAR:
If you coil wire around the shank of the screwdriver and then hook each end to a battery, you can have an electromagnet. Won't permanently magnetize it though.

It will if you manage to get enough amp-turns.
Top Top