Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:17:02 AM EDT
We need a change.....my girls are saying our house is outdated.....We have off white walls, in all the rooms, wallpaper in the kitchen and bathrooms, our light fixtures are also outdated. We really haven't changed much since we built the house in1981. The carpets were replaced 12 years ago (cream color in the living room),  wood laminate in the kitchen about 5 years ago. I have country craft items on the walls. They say the white walls, wallpaper and craft decorations need to go! I basically agree, just don't know where to start.  Thw wallpaper would be a very big job so that would be the last.
So what color are your walls and what do you decorate your house with?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#1]
put various containers (boxes, tubs, bags, etc) of reloadable brass all around your house

add unkempt piles of  paperwork to any empty surface

thats what "decorates" my apartment and hubby thinks its GREAT!!  

j/k
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
put various containers (boxes, tubs, bags, etc) of reloadable brass all around your house

add unkempt piles of  paperwork to any empty surface

hey we do have that too, the boxes, tubs etc are in the basement but the unkempt piles of paperwork are in the kitchen....but that is my stuff not hubby's!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
blood of mortals
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
*disclaimer* I have no sense of style so you might want to just ignore what I've done.    

I did the "Ralph Lauren" textured paints in our upstairs dining/sitting room and hallways.  I did a sand colored "suede" look above the chair rail and a dark navy "leather" look below.  The leather looks  nice enough but it was a huge PITA (it was glaze off).  I also did glaze/sponge *on* in the kitchen. If you have an urge to go textured, may I suggest that you do a glaze *on* and not a glaze *off*.  

To do glaze on, you put on your bottom coat, let it dry, then use some textured tool to apply the glaze over top.  To glaze off, you put on your bottom coat, let it dry, then roll on the glaze and use a textured tool to take off the glaze before it dries.  That's the hard part - getting it textured and blended before it dries.    If you're not quick enough you're SOL.  Oh, and there is no stopping for a break halfway through a wall or you'll have a line down the wall of un-blended mess.  

The chair rail was easy to put up... hubby got me a miter saw with a laser guide for my birthday.  

You can kinda see what I got goin' on here:

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
For lilGH's room I done yellow on two walls and blue on the opposing two walls with white trim. The girls have a pale green and my room is off white, bland and ugly! (it is getting redone in the near future)
My living room, kitchen, dinning room is all open into each other so I had to have something to flow all the way thru. I painted one wall in the dinning room burgandy from floor to ceiling. Throughout the rest of the dinning room and living room I did the burgandy below the chair rail and a cream/tan above the chair rail. In the kitchen I did the cream/tan throughout.
I have hard wood floors in the living room and dinning room and tiles in the kitchen (just because it is easier to clean then real wood)
For pictures and decorations I have a full length shelf on one wall in the living room. On it I have put candles, fake flowers some old books, vases, etc. I have very few pictures on the walls, what is up is pictures of ships for MrGH.

I did away with all the wallpaper in the house except the basement bathroom, it is next on my list, I plan on keeping the border that is up for the divider between top and bottom, but the rest of the paper is gone.

Our gun room is done in concrete blocks, half painted gray, the other half white with a painted gray floor. That is where all the ammo cans and piles of paper and the computer are kept. (and it is darn cold on your feet in the morning with no socks on!! )
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We need a change.....my girls are saying our house is outdated.....We have off white walls, in all the rooms, wallpaper in the kitchen and bathrooms, our light fixtures are also outdated. We really haven't changed much since we built the house in1981. The carpets were replaced 12 years ago (cream color in the living room),  wood laminate in the kitchen about 5 years ago. I have country craft items on the walls. They say the white walls, wallpaper and craft decorations need to go! I basically agree, just don't know where to start.  Thw wallpaper would be a very big job so that would be the last.

EWWW!!! wallpaper.  j/k Idette.

I'm not into the crafty look.  I do believe myself to be able to decorate well on a meager budget, however.  I shop at Marshall's and TJ MAxx for most of my decorative stuff.  I live in an apartment, so I can't do much with the walls and floors, but I do what I can to make it homey and nice.

PM is the real decorater.  PAGING PLAYMORE MINDS!!!!
GET IN HERE!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
As I live in an apartment it's white walls, but when I was a little deej86 I lived in a house with wood paneling on the walls and yellow curtains on the window.  That was my room, and I loved it.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I like color, and I have been told my style of decorating is CountryVicAfricaNeese.  
My house had a nice medium green walls, the voyer was a dark purple with oriental style murals of pots with orange and lime trees growing out of them.  The kitchen was a deep plum color.  The carpet was dark purple, very comfortable.  But now I live in a drab apartment, with very little of my belongings.

This is a wall in what used to be my computer room.  It will take a lot of kilz to cover this up!!

Notice the plug in the lake, that is for those with electric trolling motors!!  I miss that wall.  My kids say the caves on top are scarry. I painted it from a magazine picture I had once did a decopage (S) for my mother umpteen million years ago.  It was to promote peacefulness to her since she was bed-ridden.

So I guess I don't have a real style of decorating, just what ever feels comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like color, and I have been told my style of decorating is CountryVicAfricaNeese.  
My house had a nice medium green walls, the voyer was a dark purple with oriental style murals of pots with orange and lime trees growing out of them.  The kitchen was a deep plum color.  The carpet was dark purple, very comfortable.  But now I live in a drab apartment, with very little of my belongings.

This is a wall in what used to be my computer room.  It will take a lot of kilz to cover this up!!

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/synt/55f45364.jpg

Notice the plug in the lake, that is for those with electric trolling motors!!  I miss that wall.  My kids say the caves on top are scarry. I painted it from a magazine picture I had once did a decopage (S) for my mother umpteen million years ago.  It was to promote peacefulness to her since she was bed-ridden.

So I guess I don't have a real style of decorating, just what ever feels comfortable.

That's a very beautiful mural! Wish my painting skills were better (computer art/layout is my niche).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My wife loves Victorian, and I find it pretty cool too (I'm not gay!). Our place has alot of pinks, greens, dark walls with light ceilings. We have ornate furniture, along side comfy soft stuff, and the paintings & wall decor is typical Victorian (busy).

It's not everyone's taste, but it's never dull and I think it's classy. It's a nice style that incorporates alot, unlike if you do say shaker or country you're pretty much going to look one specific way room to room. With Victorian, as long as its pretty or ornate, it fits right in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Syntax, can you come and paint some of my walls? Wow I love that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I was paged. Cool.

I don't think I have an overwhelming "Style."
I know what I like, although it's not one "style" or another.
That said, nearly every room in my house is painted some sort of peach/melon color. Every room different. I like wood either natural, stained or painted.. I like vibrant NATURAL colors and I like texture mixing and "balance"

I am making no sense.

So...PHOTOS:
Dining Room

Upstairs full bath

Kitchen

Living Room...That Red Head is an original creation

Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the responses.  I should have posted pics also but I dont think I have any handy.  I would love to have "Sell this House"  or similar to that show come out and redo my house! Oh well, I'll have to plug away at this huge project this year. Even the simplist things can make a world of difference. We replaced our plaid couch & loveseat with a tan leather couch & loveseat, and that really improved the look!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright at risk of getting the icon....

Since I am a single male, with my own house, its up to me to decorate...

I am into the Victorian look with lots of antiques. I like dark carpets (my first floor carpet is a deep emerald with pink and white flowers in it) and dark, heavy window treatments (a deep maroon drape and swag, tied with accented with gold silk)...I didn't pick or do it, the previous owners did, and it looks great.

I like dark natural wood, wainscoating, etc. I try to go with a Victorian/antique turn of the century through the early 40's look. The antique market/flea market is my friend!

My study is heavily nautical with lots of nautical and Navy memoribilia, like a Liberty ship hatch cover coffee table, and a genuine complete porthole off a pre war German liner, my dad's Navy pics and certificates, etc.

My bedroon is a weird mix...white beadboard waniscoating, a darkish greenish tan paint above, nice crown molding, big cherry sleigh bed, a victorian style small desk, and victorian lamps and antique pictures...but with 20 Enfields lined up on one wall...and a bunch of AK variants on the other!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanted to paint my "Man Room" in our new house in MARPAT, but the wife said "NO!"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright at risk of getting the icon....

Since I am a single male, with my own house, its up to me to decorate...

I am into the Victorian look with lots of antiques. I like dark carpets (my first floor carpet is a deep emerald with pink and white flowers in it) and dark, heavy window treatments (a deep maroon drape and swag, tied with accented with gold silk)...I didn't pick or do it, the previous owners did, and it looks great.

I like dark natural wood, wainscoating, etc. I try to go with a Victorian/antique turn of the century through the early 40's look. The antique market/flea market is my friend!

My study is heavily nautical with lots of nautical and Navy memoribilia, like a Liberty ship hatch cover coffee table, and a genuine complete porthole off a pre war German liner, my dad's Navy pics and certificates, etc.

My bedroon is a weird mix...white beadboard waniscoating, a darkish greenish tan paint above, nice crown molding, big cherry sleigh bed, a victorian style small desk, and victorian lamps and antique pictures...but with 20 Enfields lined up on one wall...and a bunch of AK variants on the other!

That sounds cool, pzjgr.  I'd like to see pics of your house.

Well, I can definitely take some digital pics, then I just have to sign up with a phot host thing, and figure out how to post them here....

The other forums I frequent I can download (or upload I guess...) them directly from my folders on my computer, but if I understand it, here I need to get them on a Photo service and then link them, right?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That sounds cool, pzjgr.  I'd like to see pics of your house.

Well, I can definitely take some digital pics, then I just have to sign up with a phot host thing, and figure out how to post them here....

The other forums I frequent I can download (or upload I guess...) them directly from my folders on my computer, but if I understand it, here I need to get them on a Photo service and then link them, right?

right

try photobucket.com
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]
pzjgr, I also would love to see picks. Sounds really neat. Brian I would let my hubby do his den anyway he wanted, even if he wanted Marpat. It's his space to do with as he pleases. The trade off is I get the rest of the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top