Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 2:49:00 PM EDT
She barks at everything, and is a wildling when anyone comes in the door, how can I fix this? Its a 5 year old bichon frise fwiw

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Muzzle
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with a ball gag..  If things don't improve bust out the Gimp.. It's time to get midevil
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
There could be several reasons why she is barking.  She might bark out of fear.   Being that she barks with the hopes of scaring what is scaring her.  You might try patting her head and telling her, " good girl, it's ok." This should reassure her and build confidence
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There could be several reasons why she is barking.  She might bark out of fear.   Being that she barks with the hopes of scaring what is scaring her.  You might try patting her head and telling her, " good girl, it's ok." This should reassure her and build confidence
View Quote

Worth a shot I suppose
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
buy a Sunbeam Egg.

they are like dogie shut up magic!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12281454

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Beat the shit out of it
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine will bark when he wants food or water or just attention. Or as above posted. Or kick it and tell it to shut up!

Just kidding man, don't kick the dog.

Call the cops.
eta.cytotox beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
cops will shoot it for you
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Train it to bark "jingle bells"

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Kick it in the throat
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Bored and insecure.

Dogs are pack animals and a 12 pound dog well recognizes when it is compromised. Get another one, so it is not alone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
buy a Sunbeam Egg.

View Quote

Interdasting.  

My new neighbors have turned my building into a fucking kennel and management doesn't seem to care.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Our dog would bark when people knocked at the door.  We put a pet bed in the living room where she could see the whole room.   We would knock on the door, walk her to the pet bed and give her a treat.   Pretty fast she figured out door knock, go to pet bed get treat.  We would extend the time she spent on the bed before getting the treat as time went on.  She would also only get the treat if we released her.   That way she had time to get use to new people being there before being released.  We then started to release with no treat after she had the behavior set.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
She barks at everything, and is a wildling when anyone comes in the door, how can I fix this? Its a 5 year old bichon frise fwiw

http://goo.gl/H9XbG
View Quote

we tried the electric shock collar on a maltese. it worked at first, then it seemed he liked to be shocked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
What does it say when it barks? Is it telling you to do anything? Particularly to harm others?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If he is barking for no reason consider a bark collar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What does it say when it barks? Is it telling you to do anything? Particularly to harm others?
View Quote

I'd assume its out of boredom, but also to greet people. Shed never harm anyone
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
bark collar. The only thing that stopped mine from barking
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Call the ATF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Worth a shot I suppose
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth a shot I suppose

That is awful advice. That is a human response to an animal behavior. Doing that is only going to reinforce with her that barking is the right thing to do.

A bark collar would be helpful, as would training. Many dogs bark out of boredom. Make sure the dog is getting enough exercise. At least a 30 minute walk morning and night, as well as structured obedience training daily. Whenever one of my dogs bark at something, I call them to me, and put them through a series of obedience exercises, and then they get a treat at the end.

Dogs have very short attention spans, so if my dog barks at a rabbit in the yard, and I call her over and redirect her into behaviors I  want her to exhibit, she doesn't realize she's not supposed to bark, she just knows I have something more fun than barking at the rabbit in the yard. I also crate my dogs when I'm not home, so they don't get the opportunity to act out at environmental factors when I am not there to control the situation.

PM me if you'd like to talk more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Call the ATF Cops.
View Quote

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Try getting a cat or just use a 2x4.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Some dogs just bark.  Some breeds more than others.

We have Shelties and one of them just goes crazy sometimes and will not shut up, running around in the yard, spinning like a top.

I'm going to look into that egg.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup...that will reassure her that barking gets her a pat on the head and a "good girl"
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock G22 with Ranger T
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
buy a Sunbeam Egg.

View Quote

Horrible crutch for folks that are too lazy/stupid to learn/understand the reason for the behavior and too lazy to take the time required to address those causes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
You need to have the "Come to Jesus" meeting with her.

Say: "Listen, you really need to stop all this barking."

I'm sure she will listen if you have that talk with her.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yup...that will reassure her that barking gets her a pat on the head and a "good girl"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#33]
We kept a dog for someone for several months and he barked all the time. We used a collar that spayed some type of citrus smelling stuff every time he barked. It worked pretty good but he knew when the collar was empty.

Also, it sprayed him if another dog barked but that was rare.

Don't know if they still make them or not, this was about 10 years ago.

Good luck, a barking dog can be very annoying to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Did you teach your dog how to bark?

If you teach here how and when to bark, she will know. If you have never taught her to bark, how would she know what you are trying to tell her?

Reassure good behavior and pick a word for when you want her to stop barking.

The bark collar can be used, but it should be used as an aide to the training and not the only solution. Being shocked for making any growling sound to barking may not be understood properly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot it

Cop
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Seriously though, the bark collar works on my labs.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Did you teach your dog how to bark?

If you teach here how and when to bark, she will know. If you have never taught her to bark, how would she know what you are trying to tell her?

Reassure good behavior and pick a word for when you want her to stop barking.

The bark collar can be used, but it should be used as an aide to the training and not the only solution. Being shocked for making any growling sound to barking may not be understood properly.
View Quote

I taught my last dog to bark. I also taught her to stop barking in the process. She would bark if someone knocked on the door, but if I told her to be quiet and sit down she would do so in an instant.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rewarding a dog when it barks only encourages more barking.

OP, let a bark collar do your work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shoot it
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

buy a Sunbeam Egg.

View Quote
Damn! I'd love to ring the neighbors house with these!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

we tried the electric shock collar on a maltese. it worked at first, then it seemed he liked to be shocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://goo.gl/H9XbG

You did it wrong, electrodes hooked to the dogs nads fixes any barking
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
"Hush!" Followed by physical pain worked extremely well with my lab

I don't even have to say the word now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I tried that Sunbeam Egg for my Jack Russell. Took it back almost immediately. I was getting over pneumonia/a chest infection. Every time I coughed it would activate the egg. The damn thing was not ultrasonic like they led me to believe. I don't have the best hearing but I could hear it make a noise. Similar to when I leave a computer monitor on or a TV with no input. Ended up just taking the time to train the dog and doing one of those Petsmart classes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not sure what you have can be accurately referred to as a dog.You've basically got yourself a very uncoordinated cat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Call 911 from your cell phone reporting a barking angry dog.  Local police will solve your problems for you.  Though after they shoot it you'll have to dispose of it yourself. Can't have everything and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top