Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 8:09:20 PM EDT
Are they hated, respected or is the war something everyone wants to forget?

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing happened during that time frame.  Everyone was on vacation.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing happened during that time frame.  Everyone was on vacation.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly mixed. Heer and Navy treated more or less ok with pensions and they could wear denazied type medals with no swastikas on them. The waffen SS was branded as a criminal organization and right or wrong their members got the shaft after the war. As such several of them setup their own private veteran groups to help people.  I think you will find most except the veterans just didnt talk about it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandpa was a pow of the germans. His unit was the one that surrendered cause they ran out of everything in the Ardennes forrest. My aunt says that he said they treated them ok, but it was freezing conditions tho .
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad hauled them back to Germany after the war, took about 6 months, hauled standing in the back of a truck as many as they could pack in. He likened it to hauling cattle.

He said he didn't treat them too nice, and always felt bad about it later in life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top