Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
As I was watching my best little buddy nod off last night I get the depressing feeling that I'm spending the last few days with someone who has been diagnosed with terminal whatever.  I know I could lose a loved one before he goes but it seems like my dog's relatively short life is a reality that smacks me right between the eyes.

Dogs eat good....mine only eats Science Diet dry dog food.  He gets exercise, doesn't smoke or drink and gets plenty of rest.  Why the short life?  We live 70 or 80 years drinking and smoking and chasing real bitches all night.  He's at home resting and being a good boy. Without a clue that his days are numbered.  How's that fair?

Have dog's lifespans increased in the past 100 years like ours have?  If not, why not?  
Why doesn't PETA do something?
Doesn't seem fair to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a function of mass.  Elephants and whales live a long time.

But then there's turtles, but they're reptiles

I dont know.  Not a biologist.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know that Dogs age Faster than humans he is over 100 in dog years if he is 15 years old in human years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting question.

I don't know the answer.

Blade Runner is my favorite movie and deals with this question.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
It sucks losing a friend
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do they age faster?  Why should they age faster?  Is being smaller than your human friend a crime against nature?  Ain't fair!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear about it, but it's a hard fact of life for dog owners.  Many dog owners after losing their first dog never own another one.  I've had dogs all my life.  I've already lost my best friend 3 times and I've got another best friend that's now about the same age as yours and I can see the writing on the wall.

It's never easy and it won't get easier.  I always have two dogs, two best friends.  I try to arrange it so they're about 5 to 7 years different in age.  When one's a mature dog the other's a puppy.  Often the mature dog will help train and keep the puppy in line, and when the older dog goes I've got another best friend to share the pain with and to help me find our new best friend.  The sheer joy of life a puppy has lifts our spirits and helps the pain.

Damn, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

"When I die, I want to go where the dogs go".
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I belive it is indirectly a function of body mass. Small animals loose body heat faster and so the heart must pump more rapidly to reulate body heat; and so it wears out faster.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I belive it is indirectly a function of body mass. Small animals loose body heat faster and so the heart must pump more rapidly to reulate body heat; and so it wears out faster.

so, fat people live longer?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my little buddy too.  I just hope there is a Rainbow Bridge.  Makes me think of the story where the guy and his dog were turned away from the place they thought was heaven because of the dog.  They found out it was really Hell.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smaller dog breads live longer than the large ones. Mastifs, Danes, and other big boys have shorter lives than smaller dogs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smaller dog breads live longer than the large ones. Mastifs, Danes, and other big boys have shorter lives than smaller dogs.

That is because while they are larger than the small breeds, they are still "small" interms of body mass (absolute weight). So, with a large breed dog you have a small animal whose heart must work even harder to support a greater size...hence, they will have shorter lives than a small breed. Not a contradiction; all dogs are "small" in terms of animal size.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw some thing on Discovery channel or some other science channel that said most animals live for the same Average number of heart beats no matter what size. A hummingbirds heart beats about the same number of times before it dies as an elephant's heart beats. so if an animal has a faster heart beat it will "Use Up" it's allotment of heart beats faster than an animal with a very slow heart beat.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#14]
So if I could slow down my little Lhasa's heartbeat he would live longer??
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Dont some exotic birds live a long time?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, here is the real answer. Some of you have touched upon it.

As far as body mass, there is some correlation but not totally.  An elephant should out live us by many years but they dont.

But a mouse will live only a year or two.  Especially in the wild.

And yes there is definitely a heartrate correlation.

The more calories you consume the faster you die.  They did studies on animals were they were allowed to gorge themselves and another set were given strick diets.  The diet animals lived a lot longer.  The more calories you process the faster you use up your body.

Each biological cell has something call programed death.  Its to avoid errors in the DNA and stop bad mutations.  Human cells will divide up to 40-50 times before they die.  Thats why we have a lifespan of around 80 years.  Scientists have calculated that we have a maximum potential of about 120 years and thats it before we run out of cells.

Its also about reproduction strategey.  People are intense investment type of animals we take a long time to mature and have few babies.

Dogs have litters and need to reproduce faster and mature faster to live and compete.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so, fat people live longer?

No. A fat person has a heart that is optomized for a specific size range (average human body weight). But, the fat person puts a greater demand on his heart-it is designed to circulate fluids through a certain size body, and he has exceeded the design specs; as such it must work harder than it ordinarily would and frequently wears out under the strain.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#18]
A lot of people are now thinking it is because of all the shots we are forced to give them.  Quite a few folks want to see a process of titering done.  Thats where you test the dog to make sure they have certain level of what ever it is (say rabies) if they have that level no need to give them more.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw some thing on Discovery channel or some other science channel that said most animals live for the same Average number of heart beats no matter what size. A hummingbirds heart beats about the same number of times before it dies as an elephant's heart beats. so if an animal has a faster heart beat it will "Use Up" it's allotment of heart beats faster than an animal with a very slow heart beat.

I learned this stuff in my Natural Resources Management class. Hummingbirds loose body heat very rapidly indeed. In fact, there is an absolute poit where an animal gets so small it cannot eat enough to generate enegy to replace that which it looses because its ratio of body mass/surface area is so small. A Shrew is right on the margin...in fact they need so much energy they do not sleep. All time must be spent eating or searching for food.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]

"More life...fucker"
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]
They don't die sooner than people, they are just not designed to live as long.
I have had two dogs die on me, one was 14 /12 years old and the other was just short of 15. My present "lil buddy" is 3 1/2 and will probably only make it to 12 or so (Black lab, check out average lifespans for different breeds)
Not everything can be equal between all creatures great and small and I am not one to question why god made it that way. I just hope my puppies enjoy the time they have had here with me and eventually pass on with a sense of completion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Remember that the "large breeds" were Artificially bred from smaller stock. Evolution has not had time to catch up and give them the heart size they need.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I love my little buddy too.  I just hope there is a Rainbow Bridge.  Makes me think of the story where the guy and his dog were turned away from the place they thought was heaven because of the dog.  They found out it was really Hell.  

Here ya go.

Heaven or Hell?

An old man and his dog were walking along a country road, enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to the man that he was actually dead.

He remembered dying, and that his dog too had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road would lead them, and continued onward.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill a tall white arch that gleamed in the sunlight broke it. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He was pleased that he had finally arrived at heaven, and the man and his dog walked toward the gate. As he got closer, he saw someone sitting at a beautifully carved desk off to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, but is this heaven?"

"Yes, it is, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."
The gatekeeper gestured to his rear, and the huge gate began to open.

"I assume my friend can come in?" the man asked, gesturing toward his dog.

But the reply was "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought about it then thanked the gatekeeper, turned back toward the road, and continued in the direction he had been going.

After another long walk, he reached the top of another long hill, and he came to a dirt road that led through a farm gate.

There was no fence, and it looked as if the gate had never been closed, as grass had grown up around it. As he approached the gate, he saw a man just inside, sitting in the shade of a tree in a rickety old chair, reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Certainly, There's a pump over there," the man said, pointing to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. Come on in and make yourself at home."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog

"He's welcome too, and there's a bowl by the pump," he said.

They walked through the gate and, sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a dipper hanging on it and a bowl next to it on the ground. The man filled the bowl for his dog; he then took a long drink himself.

When both were satisfied, he and the dog walked back toward the man, who was sitting under the tree waiting for them, and asked, "What do you call this place?"

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "It certainly doesn't look like heaven, and there's another man down the road who said that place was heaven."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?"

"Yes, it was beautiful."

"Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it offend you for them to use the name of heaven like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but it actually saves us a lot of time. They screen out the people who are willing to leave their best friends behind."

----------

I have two dogs I love very much. I know it's going to break me up when their time comes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Remember that the "large breeds" were Artificially bred from smaller stock. Evolution has not had time to catch up and give them the heart size they need.

Actually, you have it backwards.  The small breeds are the artificially created ones.  The Wolf is the original dog.  All dog breeds descended from the wolf.  Therefor, the large breeds are correct, the small, toy, and jumbo breeds (Mastiffs, st bernards) are artificially sized.  Labradors, shepherds and the large terriers are the correct natural size.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#25]
That story always gives me the sniffles.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....  

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite poem

He is your friend
your partner
your defender
your dog.
You are his life
his love
his leader.
He will be yours
faithful and true
to the last beat
of his heart.
You owe it to him
to be worthy of
such devotion.

-Anonymous
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here ya go.

Heaven or Hell?

An old man and his dog were walking along a country road, enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to the man that he was actually dead.

He remembered dying, and that his dog too had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road would lead them, and continued onward.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill a tall white arch that gleamed in the sunlight broke it. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He was pleased that he had finally arrived at heaven, and the man and his dog walked toward the gate. As he got closer, he saw someone sitting at a beautifully carved desk off to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, but is this heaven?"

"Yes, it is, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."
The gatekeeper gestured to his rear, and the huge gate began to open.

"I assume my friend can come in?" the man asked, gesturing toward his dog.

But the reply was "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought about it then thanked the gatekeeper, turned back toward the road, and continued in the direction he had been going.

After another long walk, he reached the top of another long hill, and he came to a dirt road that led through a farm gate.

There was no fence, and it looked as if the gate had never been closed, as grass had grown up around it. As he approached the gate, he saw a man just inside, sitting in the shade of a tree in a rickety old chair, reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Certainly, There's a pump over there," the man said, pointing to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. Come on in and make yourself at home."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog

"He's welcome too, and there's a bowl by the pump," he said.

They walked through the gate and, sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a dipper hanging on it and a bowl next to it on the ground. The man filled the bowl for his dog; he then took a long drink himself.

When both were satisfied, he and the dog walked back toward the man, who was sitting under the tree waiting for them, and asked, "What do you call this place?"

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "It certainly doesn't look like heaven, and there's another man down the road who said that place was heaven."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?"

"Yes, it was beautiful."

"Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it offend you for them to use the name of heaven like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but it actually saves us a lot of time. They screen out the people who are willing to leave their best friends behind."

----------

I have two dogs I love very much. I know it's going to break me up when their time comes.

There is a Twilight Zone episode based on that story.  

I saw it one day when I was home during the week (sick) and they had an all day TZ marathon on SciFi.

I had no idea what the story was about, and at the end all was revealed.  

I was crying like a bitch, no shame in that.

My wife and I had to put our best friend of 8.5 years to sleep about 2 months earlier.

Great story and it did offer me comfort.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Dogs are the best and don't you forget it.  

Signed
Bonny

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Do you know that Dogs age Faster than humans he is over 100 in dog years if he is 15 years old in human years.

I hate that "dog years" crap, they do not age faster than we do, they just have a naturally shorter life span, when you 6 babies at a time you all can't live to be 70
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I have had to do it two times so far and I absolutely kills me

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
If only your little friend could know, in the end, how much it hurts to lose them.  Maybe that's why you have to lose one in order to never take a single minute with the next one for granted.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is because while they are larger than the small breeds, they are still "small" interms of body mass (absolute weight). So, with a large breed dog you have a small animal whose heart must work even harder to support a greater size...hence, they will have shorter lives than a small breed. Not a contradiction; all dogs are "small" in terms of animal size.

Doesn't explain the cancer, arthritis, cataracts, etc.

Look up telomeres for a partial explanation.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#34]
" Man's BEST FRIEND "
Hits the nail right on the head if you ask me .
My dog is spolied rotten . I know it but he does'nt .
He is a true brat . But he is at my feet right now . Content as could be .

I think is is by Gods own design that they live shorter lives .
Maybe it is so we can have them for their life but when they go we can
experience another varient ( bigger , smaller , more active , less active )
or what ever as Our lives dictate .
My dogs have always become part of my family . I think it is sad that some people can get rid of a dog so easily . for whatever reason .
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top