Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 9:19:53 PM EDT
I let my dogs out a few times a day to play and go to the bathroom.  Sometimes they are quiet, but other times the horseplay gets a little out of hand, and God help them when a squirrel or another dog comes by.  When this happens (I have a window right next to the main "Barking Spot") we bring them in.  The neighbors still get bitchy, even when the only sound they might make is a single "bark" at about 30% of the volume they get to when they go apeshit, about every 45sec to 2 minutes.  Nothing annoying, hell I sleep right next to the window when the family lets them out in the morning.  Yet the neighbors still get bitchy.  Just got an earful when I was retrieving them as he let his little Scottie accompany him.  Naturally, they went apeshit.  *sigh*

Anything I can do?  Bark collars (shock) dont seem to do anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Rent, or buy one of the training collars that are used for bird dogs.  Depending upon which one you use and which setting you have it on, there won't be any problem getting your dogs to stop barking.  You do have to be there to administer the shock, but it will stop your dog from doing whatever they are doing when you do.  These aren't the ones that shock when your dog barks, but the ones used to stop dogs from chasing rabbits and not yielding to your return commands etc.  

The only drawback is that a new one will cost at least a couple of hundred dollars, but you may be able to rent one, or find a used one somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
When they start to bark outside, instead of reinforceing the barking by bringing them in, THROW A BUCKET of WATER on them.

I'm serious, it has always worked for my dogs.  They get over it quick.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Paintball gun, they will stop barking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A good swift kick in the ass worked for my last dog.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Sponge-----Gravy-----No More Barking

Im only kidding, Be sure to take care of those pups before someone else does.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Their yelling, "We're done pissing, let us in asshole!"

Seriously...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
.308 works well ! !
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.308 works well ! !

Does it shut you up as equally well?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
those collars that squirt citrus spray in thier faces of those that shock em
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate listening to neigbor's dogs as well.
Usually dogs bark a lot because they're bored/lonely. Do you walk them much? Daily? Or.... never?
~
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Their yelling, "We're done pissing, let us in asshole!"

Seriously...

That is true.

Those Bark Collars worked for my Pack.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
1.  move to the country
2.  sell dogs
3.  give away dogs
4.  shoot dogs
5.  get a few criminal complaints, go to court, pay fines, lose dogs
6.  watch neighbors give dogs antifreeze
7.  fence is mysteriously cut, dogs gone forever
8.  nuke them from orbit.

(got too much time on my hands)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Yell at them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
.308 works well ! !

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Prozac
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Call 911.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Prozac

for the dog or the owner?

Seriously your problem is complex.  Its very difficult to unteach a dog a behavoir it was bred to do - after its learn to do it.

Your best bet is to keep trying the bark collars [what type do you have?] and teaching them that it is unacceptable behavior while you're around.  [It'll be down right impossible to teach them that its a no no when you're not there].

First start them back at square one with obedience training
daily come, sit, stay, heel, down so that they do it automatically.  Believe you me, a good lesson in obedience can do wonders for a pet.  IF done consistantly they'll look at you as if you're a God wagging their tails...yea, yea, he said sit, I'm sitting, aren't I a good boy.

Next when ever they start to bark at all flip them on their backs, stare into their eyes, point your finger and say NO and hold them there for a long second or two.

Lastly, it might be wisest not to let them both out at once.  Dogs in a pack [albeit small pack] are more prone to these things.

Good luck, Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top