Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2014 6:24:40 PM EDT
Hypothetically speaking if someone owed less then $15k in taxes and didn't have income or property to lien against what is the worst that could happen?

Was reading an article about someone who hadn't paid in like 10 years but filed every year. Apparently he just ignored the letters as he didnt have anything they could take.

I have heard both extremes and was curious if anyone else has a first hand knowledge and not just made up fear of the IRS....

Edit: I would post the article but it was in some magazine at a rental cabin I was in over the holiday and don't remember what is was.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
They will freeze any bank accounts you might have and take the money.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have no income, why did the person owe taxes?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus wage garnishment and/or social security offset.

If there is a legitimate inability to pay, the IRS can put someone in "currently uncollectable" status, but you have to ask for it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

But if there aren't any??

I guess that was what I was getting at, there isn't anything to take or hold over them?

What happens then?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a kid (around 85 or 86) I remember the IRS arrested my neighbors son and auctioned off everything he had.
He was tied in with some group that believed taxes were unconstitutional and he told the IRS He was not going to pay.
He was working odd jobs and I think they tacked on tax fraud and a few other charges.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking if someone owed less then $15k in taxes and didn't have income or property to lien against what is the worst that could happen?

Was reading an article about someone who hadn't paid in like 10 years but filed every year. Apparently he just ignored the letters as he didnt have anything they could take.

I have heard both extremes and was curious if anyone else has a first hand knowledge and not just made up fear of the IRS....

View Quote

Hypothetically he may now owe millions the way they tack on fees and late charges and penalties.  A visit to Club Fed will be in his future most likely.  I am not sure about this but I believe it becomes a felony charge of evading also.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently from previous years there was income but subsequent years there wasn't any....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do anything using your social security number the IRS will seize any assets that you have.

Wages, Unemployment, inheritance, lottery winnings, disability, Social Security, etc.

Basically you'll have to work cash jobs all your life and let your girlfriend do all the renting and utilities in her name. If your married, they'll go after your wifes assets.

You can't buy a house or a car or have credit because you'll have a "hold" put on your Soc Sec number.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess that was what I was getting at, there isn't anything to take or hold over them?

What happens then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens then?

They will take your social security when you turn 65.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask Al Capone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you do anything using your social security number the IRS will seize any assets that you have.

Wages, Unemployment, inheritance, lottery winnings, disability, Social Security, etc.

Basically you'll have to work cash jobs all your life and let your girlfriend do all the renting and utilities in her name. If your married, they'll go after your wifes assets.
View Quote

But if someone were to live that way... Like in a motor home or something... What is the final outcome?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I went through this and we worked it out. I had a deference until I was on my feet and now pay them $800. extra a month for 3 years.  We negotiated it and I can now afford it.  If you begin it the IRS is actually easy to deal with.  The stupid thing to do is go to a tax attorney, you will pay them a huge fee AND pay the IRS.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens then?

That's assuming you apply for it?

What happens if you choose not to?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What happens then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens then?

Nothing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The slavering Obama agents will destroy your life with glee.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Wesley snipes bad, that's how bad. jail
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're poor and hardworking? Pound me in the ass jail.

If you're a rich community leader who hangs out with Obama? Nothing?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Right, use the Sharpton defense!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
He actually has money and owed a lot

OP is talking about under 15k

Nothing would ever be done I suspect.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Owing $2.4 Billion hasn't slowed Al Sharpton down and Warren Buffet seems to be living pretty well owing $1 Billion
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But if someone were to live that way... Like in a motor home or something... What is the final outcome?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The final outcome is when your health goes to crap wont be eligible for disability benefits since you have not paid into the system.  You earn points for each year of work and can only get so many a year and need a certain amount in the last ten years of work to be eligible.  Or something like that
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can't buy a house or a car or have credit because you'll have a "hold" put on your Soc Sec number.
View Quote

But they are just handing out ssns to the illegals now. You can get multiple ssns if you want
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
As long as  you file and claim you owe it I believe the worst they can do is seize assets and garnish wages.  Not filing or claiming the income is pound me in the ass prsion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The final outcome is when your health goes to crap wont be eligible for disability benefits since you have not paid into the system.  You earn points for each year of work and can only get so many a year and need a certain amount in the last ten years of work to be eligible.  Or something like that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense but have you looked around lately .... There is about 30% of our country that haven't done shit... And yet they all get free everything...

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dying broke and alone in a motor home.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]

IRS won't do shit if your an illegal.

Just create a new identity and transfer your assets.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#27]
There are two possible outcomes.  One is for democrats, the other is for republicans.  One is very bad.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ask Al Capone.
View Quote

Yup and Gotti, pay your taxes, unless you are a democrat then you can have an oopsie or 2.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You might get ignored or you might be the example, pour l'encouragement d''autres.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Simple descrepancy? They send you a letter at first.  AMHIK    

Are you asking what happens if you flat-out refuse to pay?

...Ed & Elaine Brown are going to both die in federal prison for taking that stance.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#31]
lube up, because you gunna get fucked.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Ask Rangle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Depends if you are privileged race or not
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#34]
The answer depends if your name is "John Doe" or "Juan Valdez"
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Feds will find a way. Don't worry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Simple descrepancy? They send you a letter at first.  AMHIK    

Are you asking what happens if you flat-out refuse to pay?

...Ed & Elaine Brown are going to both die in federal prison for taking that stance.

View Quote

A guy from my small town got 8 years for helping them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup and Gotti, pay your taxes, unless you are a democrat then you can have an oopsie or 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask Al Capone.

pretty sure Gotti and Capone got it for not declaring income or filing a false return. That is way it generally gets criminal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I have made a few grand this year on the side doing some consulting work and I haven't filed anything quarterly

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a ten-year statute of limitations for unpaid taxes. If you are determined to be currently uncollectable, the IRS will leave you alone. You may need to reapply for currently uncollectable status every year or so. After ten years, the tax debt goes away.

If you are not currently uncollectable, the IRS will accept a payment plan (based on what they determine you can afford). After ten years, the unpaid balance goes away.

The biggest mistake people make when it comes to the IRS is ignoring them. If you have a tax bill than cannot be paid, you are far better off contacting the IRS.

No one goes to jail for simple non-payment of taxes. They go to jail for filing fraudulent returns or failing to file returns, etc...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#40]
they will take it from your account , one day you'll see your balance and say WTH, yep they got it , with now word
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#41]
they will take it from your account , one day you'll see your balance and say WTH, yep they got it , with now word
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens then?

All of these things might be true.  The determining factor being your income bracket.  The more money you make and/or try to get out of paying, the more attention you're gonna get.

IIRC Willie Nelson owed millions and I don't remember'em throwing him in jail.

But, the idiot that won the first Survivor ended up in jail IIRC for tax evasion.......on that million he won.....

Hard to figure.......... that's our tax system. Pun intended......
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Many of the biggest offenders work for the IRS.

Sharpton is a huge crook but he is an obungler/Holder rump kisser so he has little to worry about.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would take possessions, personal items, anything of value.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There is a ten-year statute of limitations for unpaid taxes. If you are determined to be currently uncollectable, the IRS will leave you alone. You may need to reapply for currently uncollectable status every year or so. After ten years, the tax debt goes away.

If you are not currently uncollectable, the IRS will accept a payment plan (based on what they determine you can afford). After ten years, the unpaid balance goes away.

The biggest mistake people make when it comes to the IRS is ignoring them. If you have a tax bill than cannot be paid, you are far better off contacting the IRS.

No one goes to jail for simple non-payment of taxes. They go to jail for filing fraudulent returns or failing to file returns, etc...
View Quote

This guy knows how the game is played

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
This guy lived down the street from my grandpa. He was an extreme tax evader.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I assume he got in trouble for not filing or fraudulent filing. Not sure if you just file honestly and don't pay they can touch you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume he got in trouble for not filing or fraudulent filing. Not sure if you just file honestly and don't pay they can touch you.  
Can that be construed as legal advice?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP is talking about under 15k

Nothing would ever be done I suspect.

Horseshit! Those bastards will hound you for every penny you owe, add on staggeringly high fines and penalties, attach anything you own...and ultimately put your ass in federal prison.

Prison usually comes as a penalty for failure to file a return, willful fraud or outright refusal to pay what you owe.  

Never assume they won't fuck with you for owing them money....because it's exactly how they justify their existence.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top