Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 11:00:37 AM EDT
Thinking about whether this is something to save up for, & not run into of the "AW" issue.

I've neard they are so-so out of the box, though you may get lucky.

But how accurate can you make it, confidently, and at what rough costs?

Supposing that you want to spend enough for a new barrel or some fine tuning by a smith, but need to keep expenses down.  What would be your best bet and how many $ do you think that would run?

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
A standard Mini-14 is more than accurate enough for anything you can reasonably expect to use an 18" .223 Carbine for.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have enough money:

[url]www.clarkcustomguns.com/min14con.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Or if you have a moderate budget:

[url]www.clarkcustomguns.com/stabilizer.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
try this site, i want to send mine there some day.

[url]http://ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not understand the desire for these if one is savvy to the existance of the AR15.

Look, a decent used Mini 14 is around $350 and up.   Send it to Clark and after his $795 improvement, you have a rifle garanteed to shoot 1.5 MOA.  Magazines (decent ones) for a Mini 14 cost around $30 and up.  

So, to have a Mini 14 with 1.5 MOA and 5 magazines you spend $350 + 795 + 150 = $1295

Turn around and buy a RRA NM rifle and you will get true MOA out of the box.   A rifle which is infinitely more modifiable, and parts more attainable and maintanance more easy.  No comparison at all.

RRA NM rifle $1200 + 100 (5 mags) = $1300

The AR is more a ccurate and it is a  platform that will be easier to modify or maintain over the long haul.

I just don't get it.  Why a Mini 14 unless you live in a state that has banned the AR.

BTW, I have also had the "bug" to buy something knowing there was an alternative that made more sense.  For example I bought a USGI M1 Carbine despite knowing modern carbines will be better in many ways.  If that is the case, I can get it and in no way do I intend this as an insult to the person thinking of doing this.

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do not understand the desire for these if one is savvy to the existance of the AR15.

I just don't get it.  Why a Mini 14 unless you live in a state that has banned the AR.

View Quote

I think you got it. I bet most of their customers are in California. Other than that, there really is no reason to choose a Mini 14 over an AR.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
mini 14's are really not that bad out of the box with a muzzle break, like 3-4" at 100.

I would rather have a AK though. But a mini 14 is a nice little 223 and i think its more reliable than a AR15.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got four ar's that's enoungh for me and I spend my money the way I want. Some people  think to much.

I like it, thats why I bought it.
  [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p855fe3bd99da16c7f418a2a68a88a05a/fd661c4f.jpg[/img]

heres a better pic of the gun.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pfde82fd5e1fdf0f976e0a6e4ebc290d0/fd662097.jpg[/img]

edited to remove profanity
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I had two minis and hope I didn't come across as too harsh on them.  I never shot either particularly well.  Admitedly, I wasn't a very well trained shooter then either.  Still, it was measurably worse than with my first AR, a standard BM 20" rifle.

I think it sucks that a stupid law would make someone choose one instead of personel preference.  Thank God I left CA.  I'd have to give up all of my rifles to go  back.  

I know they are more expeinsive, but as an alternative, I would consider the M1A over the Mini 14.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The Mini-14 has two problems:  1) Loose stock fit with the standard wood stock. I don't know about their newer synthetic stock. 2) Rear sight blade wiggles too much.

Swapping out the wood stock for a Choate or Butler Creek sythetic will bring the Mini-14's groups into reason.  This change alone will cut groups in half.

Also, using either a scope, or one of the aftermarket rear sights, or tightening up the rear blade will improve it even more.  This can be done by putting a small blob of silicone rubber at appropriate spots in the sight, and still leave it adjustable.  But a 2.5x to 4x scope will really improve this little lightweight rifle.

My Mini-14 Ranch Rifles, one with a 4x40, the other with a 3x-9x40 will do 1.5" groups with 55 gr FMJ.

With Federal Ordnance (now labeled PMI or Precision Magazine Inc.) 20, 30, or 40 round mags, or Ruger mags, these rifles are 100% reliable.  They will function without cleaning far longer than an AR15, if you are lazy, and will do so even without lubrication.

For practical ranges, to 200 yards, shooting offhand, you will likely see no accuracy difference between the Mini (with the above improvements) and the AR.  But by the time you do this, you are up into the price of a nice AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top