Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 5:14:50 PM EDT
How long can humans go without decent sleep?
Since my son was born 4 weeks ago I have never had more than 3 hours of sleep at once and never more than 6-7 hours in a day.  Most nights I get about 5 hours (2 1/2 hrs then feed/burp/change than another 2 1/2 hrs) but sometimes only about 3 hrs total during the night.  This lack of sleep is effecting my work and judgment and I feel like my body is getting dragged down.  I noticed that I eat a lot (gained about 4 pounds in 4 weeks) and I drink water like fish.

Sometings gotta give in soon and I think its going to be my mind.    
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one 12/10. I sleep good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The joy of having a newborn
.I fondly remember those days.Actually I was lucky as hell,once my son hit 2 months he was sleeping all night long-I mean 8 hours.Why don't you and your wife take turns getting up.That way every other night at least you should be able to get some sleep.One thing I paid attention to was the tone of a babys cry-a somethings wrong cry or a I just want some attention cry.I know parents that their kids still aren't sleeping all night at 3 years old because as soon as they make a sound the parents come running instead of ignoring the "I want some attention" cry.I know that's not your problem at 4 weeks,I'm just talking about down the road.

Cheer up,it definately gets better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
my kids slept throguh the night due to having real titty and not some babby milk in a can...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How long can humans go without decent sleep?
Since my son was born 4 weeks ago I have never had more than 3 hours of sleep at once and never more than 6-7 hours in a day.  Most nights I get about 5 hours (2 1/2 hrs then feed/burp/change than another 2 1/2 hrs) but sometimes only about 3 hrs total during the night.  This lack of sleep is effecting my work and judgment and I feel like my body is getting dragged down.  I noticed that I eat a lot (gained about 4 pounds in 4 weeks) and I drink water like fish.

Sometings gotta give in soon and I think its going to be my mind.    

thats not too bad.  in middle school i had a serious problem with insomnia.  like 3-4 hours per night, for weeks on end.  falling asleep in class was weird, i would fall asleep while sitting in the chair, my head would fall forward towards the desk, which would wake me up and i would wake up with my head inches above the hard desk just in time to keep from thunking it.  i'm sure it looked really weird to anyone observing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My boy started sleeping through the night at a week old.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless your kid is ill you should be able to train him to sleep about 6 hours at night after about 6 weeks or so. YOU train the child not vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Try feeding him cereal and he will sleep more through the night. Dont listen to the BS that cereal is bad for babies, its crap. Trust me it worked for me my family my kids and my wifes family did it too
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Both of my children sleep thru the entire night.
I started working swing shift in October. I'll work 7 nights of 11-7, 6 or 7 (my choice) evenings of 3-11, and then seven days of 7-3, which ends on friday afternoon, and I start a 4day break. Following my 4day, I start back on 11-7 wednesday night.
What does this have to do with how much sleep one "needs"?
I have found that I can sleep pretty much when and where I want. If I have a slow night at work (I'm maintenance, not production- if it aint broke, it dont get fixed), I can catch a few winks, and be good to go all day, perhaps with a short nap in the afternoon. I've found I can coherently function on two hours of sleep for every 12 waking hours.
This isnt long-term by any means- sometimes I just need to crash out and I can sleep for 8 or 9 hours straight. But, for short times, I find I dont really need that much sleep to be functional.

It seems like I do my best on either a long sleep, or short naps. The middle ground gives me trouble waking and functioning. I dont understand how I can sleep 2 hours and feel refreshed, and sleep 4 or 5 and be miserable, like I didnt sleep at all. Maybe its a transitionary period between light sleep and sound sleep.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my kids slept throguh the night due to having real titty and not some babby milk in a can...

Even grown men will sleep all night after getting some real titty
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard we need at least 87 hours of sleep per week.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
8.3 h
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#12]
As big of a PITA as it may seem - treasure it. EVERY F'ING MINUTE!!!

There will be a day that you will notice your "baby" doesn't smell like a "baby" any more.

Then it is the pre-K scene, then Kindergarten, then Grade School... then Junior High... you get the pic.

Trust Me (even though you don't know me) enjoy the baby smells, the rolling on the floor, the coos, the fascination with the most basic of things. Babies are just so damn cool!!! [don't try the gehy thing, beatch!]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
ctf is so correct.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It takes 8 hours for your eyes to heal all the little tiny scratches and stuff they get during the day.

If you don't get it your eyes get itchy and eventually permanently damaged.

That's why career military  almost always have lousy vision after a couple tours, not enough sleep.

Try to get at least one night a week where you don't get up until you're fully rested, it gets easier with the kids soon.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Its 2:00AM and I just got up to prepare the bottle for the next feeding at 2:30AM.  If all goes well, by the time I finish feeding/burping/diaper change it will be 3:00AM then I'll go back to sleep until around 5:30AM for another feeding.  Baby is getting fed formula every 3 hours at night (total of 3 feedings) but during the day he is breast fed every 2-3 hours by mama.  Wife spends all day while I'm at work taking care of the baby and the house so she never gets any nap.  I take care of the baby at night so she can get some sleep.  In reality both of us gets up at night many times to make sure baby is okay.  This is our first baby so we are still learning.  We have learned to keep the baby up in the evening so he will sleep longer at night time.

I have gotten used to not sleeping but I'n not sure how long I can keep this up.  When I was in university I stayed up for two days for final exams or go on 3 hour sleep per night for 3 or 4 days but I never went this long with so little sleep.  I'm sure I'm physically taxing my body to the max and somethings going to crash but I just don't know when.

Despite all this difficulty my wife and I are really enjoying this experience of being a mom/dad.  I come home after a long day at work and I can just sit next to his crib and stare at him sleeping for hours.  Earlier tonight he woke up from sleep and gave me a smile and a little giggling noise and it just melted my heart... I guess he had released some gas.

Gotta go now, baby is waking up for his milk and I don't my wife to get up.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#16]
You could always add a little of this to the bottle:

That's what they did when I was a baby, and look at me....I turned out great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Me too brother, I have gone 2 Mos. doing this same routine. Children seem to have the same effect on everyone that has them, enjoy it while you can,at least we know where they are, when they get older there will be more times to loose sleep. I am told by my parents.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
dunno, but I have a feeling 2 hours a night isn't good for my growing body
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I sleep about 5-6 on workdays and about 8-9 on weekends.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#22]
The body needs 7-9hrs with 8 being optimal. anything more or less is damaging to longterm health.

Ive done some long shifts but the last 24hrs of the 56hr weekends are the worst. After the first 24hrs, you are kind of on autopilot. then you function ok, but make a few mistakes. after  that if you dont catch a few power naps, you make more mistakes and your body has problems compensating for the lack of sleep.

Just get to bed earlier and catch a few extra hours instead of watching martha stewart reruns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
4~5    tonight about 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top