Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:43:59 AM EDT
Sometimes I think I would love to have some of my guns out of the safe and hanging on the walls in my den, then I start wondering how long it would be before someone broke into my house and stole them. How do you guys feel about displaying guns in your house?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
That's one I struggle with alot.  When I was a kid, a buddy's dad down the street displayed his very sizeable handgun collection on his livingroom wall, also a large rack of rifles sat in the corner. That was in the 70's, and although I was young, I don't remember it being much of an issue. All the kids in the neighborhood knew they were there, and actually, the guy's kid taught us all he knew about the different guns. It was actually a very neat learning situation.  I'd be REALLY nervous about doing it now, though...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to do that, but I'm afraid of theft or of some asswipe neighbor sounding an alarm and creating problems I'd rather avoid.

As such, my idea is to create a comfortably-sized safe room where I can display my firearms for myself and those I chose to share them with, while still being comfortable in their security.

The interior of that safe room would have wall racks with lights and the whole deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd love to do that, but I'm afraid of theft or of some asswipe neighbor sounding an alarm and creating problems I'd rather avoid.

As such, my idea is to create a comfortably-sized safe room where I can display my firearms for myself and those I chose to share them with, while still being comfortable in their security.

The interior of that safe room would have wall racks with lights and the whole deal.

+1
I'd like to have an "armory" room too.  Seems like the best comprimise.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I am out in the country but even then I don't keep much out. Right now only my M1 is out on top of a high desk-shelf combo. Unless you are in a safe neighborhood, have someone home all the time, or the gun looks good but is cheap enough that you don't really care, I wouldn't leave anything out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
well i just bought a 3 bedroom house. I gotta a funny feeling one is gonna get converted into a walk in safe / reloadiong room

I wonder if I can get a peice of bank teller glass somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I typically don't.
Living in an apartment I keep all my stuff in my safe.
Even when I lived in ahouse, I pretty much kept everything in the safe.
I someone comes over and I want them to see something I go get it.
No sense advertising you have some thing worth stealing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a room in my house just for firearms.  They are displayed on the walls and I have a table for cleaning, working on my guns, storage areas for parts, etc.  I double lock the door whenever I leave the house.  I also have very little crime in my area of town.  I am not worried about anyone stealing my guns.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
My dream home will have a fireplace and I will have one of my muzzloaders hanging over it.  But my dream home has a security system that rivals Ft Knox with roving bands of highly armed guards and such.  Like I said, its a Dream LOL

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sometimes I think I would love to have some of my guns out of the safe and hanging on the walls in my den, then I start wondering how long it would be before someone broke into my house and stole them. How do you guys feel about displaying guns in your house?

Just put a note on them that says, "Do not steal me"
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
This is one of the reasons I SO want my next house to have a basement, or at least one sizeable room that has no windows.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope, they reside in the SAFE.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope Nope nope, inside the safe they stay. Ill be damned if iI am going to get sued for a crime done with a gun that was stolen from me because I wanted to "show it off" .
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
I'd like to have an "armory" room too.  Seems like the best comprimise.

+2
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey,I got an idea!Let's make it ILLEGAL for folks to steal.Then we can all proudly and openly display our guns once again.

My first ML over the fireplace,and most everything else in the safes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I just dont' feel comfortable now doing it.  

I'm not worried about my kids..I'm worried about the other kids that come into the house.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not too worried about it.  I grew up with guns stored in the gun cabinet.  I keep the guns in the safe when no one is home.  I've never had any reason to be concerned about it yet.  And I don't entertain much.

I'm aware of all of the obvious risks.  The cabinet sure makes storing misc stuff a lot more presentable.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have some sidelock muzzle loaders hanging in the living room ,thats it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My first ML over the fireplace,

I would love to put my mother-in-law over the fireplace.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't display anything, it all stays in the safe in the basement.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My first ML over the fireplace,

I would love to put my mother-in-law over the fireplace.  

I'd like to put mine's DAUGHTER IN the fireplace.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#22]

My brother-in-law lives out in the sticks on a dairy ranch with the nearest neighbor being 2 miles away.

In the past 8 years he has had his gun collection stolen from his house.
The first time they kicked in the rear door, broke the glass from his gun case (just like yours) and took all of the rifles, but left the pistols.
Everyone figured it was the neighbors shithead drug addict youngest son who did it, and three years later his father caught him with the BIL's turkey gun.

Last time was about a year ago, the BIL went with a wall mounted gun case with heavy metal brackets mounted on the wall through the studs and doublers, and a long metal rod through the trigger guards.
They used his Sawzall to cut the lock off the rod and stole his SKS and Mossberg shotgun, but left the 4 custom hunting rifles and the engraved double-barreled shotgun.
They took his DVD collection (which was mostley kids stuff) and left the DVD recorder and stereo equipment.

Now he keeps the guns locked inside a walk-in safe.

The local sheriffs office found the SKS and the thiefs when they tried to pawn it.
Bunch of meth heads.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I always keep a loaded gun around for home defense and one rifle on display on a rifle rest

my Russian M44 is on display right now

if nobody's home I put it all in the safe
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I always wanted a rec. room like Burt Gummer's.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't have anything worth it... but I probably wouldn't I like to keep the guns hidden so that it would at least be a great challenge to get to them.

You ever back off from something you have written and realize what a shame it is you think about something in a particular way?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I was thinking of just storing my curios w/o bolts & triggers in my dad's old wood and glass gun case.

It would be nice to display all that history.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I dont display any firearms. Everything is kept out of sight.
I think one day I would like to hang a nice O/U bird gun, or a nice restoration project of a WW1 era rifle...also wouldnt mind a shadow box with lighting in it with a nice black velvet presentation for a peacemaker. I cant see putting a modern weapon on the wall. Im sure if I ever display something it will be an antique that rarely or never sees the range
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#28]
My biggest concern is...... will I ever have enough toys to fill a room?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Nope Nope nope, inside the safe they stay. Ill be damned if iI am going to get sued for a crime done with a gun that was stolen from me because I wanted to "show it off" .

It's not to show them off, it's for me. I just enjoy being surrounded by the guns and having them assessable if I want to look at one or pick one up on a whim. It's too much trouble to unload the safe to get one out to play with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a reproduction Brown Bess musket or order; my first muzzle loader. I figure its part of my British heritage, and will be proud to display it on the wall when I'm not shooting it. I keep all my "real" guns secured in gunsafes though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a liberty safe a while back, and at what they cost, you can bet that it is going to stay used.  I only keep about 3 outside of the safe at any given time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#33]
In the safe locked tight...with the sage being in a closet with the door closed at all times.  Unless I am accesing them of course.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#34]
If I had a gun worth displaying (other than my AR) It would be behind a piece of bullet proof glass in a steel case of some sort.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Before the boating accident all was secured & nothing displayed. Now it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not to show them off, it's for me. I just enjoy being surrounded by the guns and having them assessable if I want to look at one or pick one up on a whim. It's too much trouble to unload the safe to get one out to play with it.

Same here.  I almost never have people over to my house.  And my gun cabinet is not somewhere you'd see it if you were a guest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#37]
My guns are my business an not that of casual visitors.  The less other people know about you, the better.

I agree with the poster above - have them in your office/den/sanctum sanctorum or whatever, to which no one else has access.  Even in that case, they represent a theft problem, though.  I don't have a safe now, but plan on getting one when I move.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Better 'SAFE' than Sorry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top