BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean crooked?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I see it and it would bother me a lot. Take a little more off to get them straight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’d be more pissed I bought a table with no leg room. But it does look study enough to get frisky with a date on. But then the lights would be too low and blind her
View Quote

Quoted:
Where do you put your feet since there is a shelf under the table?

Somebody got a visit from the good idea fairy when they came up with that design.
View Quote

There actually is leg room under the table.  It just looks like there isn't.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, they came out of the box with the wires bundled up.  I'm not sure if it'll straighten out on its own or what.
View Quote

They will straighten out some over time, mine were the same way when new. My pendant has 8 globes, I staggered them at different heights and it looks much better than having them all the same. On yours I would raise the middle one so it doesn't get in the way when you reach over the table - less glare in your face too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be raise those lights up at least a few more inches so the surface of the table is evenly lit. You're getting shadows because they're too low.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1/4"

I wouldnt even be able to notice that
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly the pendents look to low to me and the photo makes the drop wires look kinked,  which is far more annoying than the 1/4" I can not see.
View Quote

The wires ARE a bit kinked,which is how they came out of the box.  I hung the lamps that way because I was going for an "intimate restaurant" look.  You would have to be like 6' 8" for them to be in your way when you're sitting there though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Did your husband notice the 1/4" ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be super annoyed they're so low.

What kind of simpleton doesnt have offset lights in the first place? The 4 over my kitchen table are offset so you don't get weird shadows. Probably about 1.5 inches each intentionally.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The way I did it, I set the fixture on the table with the lamps on the floor.  I then shortened each cable so that they were the same length.  Somehow, the rearmost lamp is hanging 1/4" too low.  It's an easy fix, it just means that I'll have to dismount the entire fixture to deal with it.  Thirty minutes worth of work.   This whole thread is just my personal penance so that next time, I'll actually break out a tape measure instead of trying to half-ass it.
View Quote
Ahhh. Comprende'.
I do this for living. Sometimes you got to take a couple swings with these things. It also gives you an appreciation of how stupid some of these light designers are. The lights may look good, but there is rarely any thought put into how to hang them.
Bill Clinton: "I feel your pain"
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd raise those lamps at least a couple of feet higher.  Leave some slack in the box rather than cutting the wires again, as there probably is a decent amount of volume in the box for such scrawny gauge lamp wire.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a dining room set a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.  It finally came in and was delivered on Saturday.  When I bought the house, it had a cheesy $60 Home Depot ceiling fan/light fixture in the dining area.   Back in July, I bought a three-lamp pendant fixture, but I never hung it because I wanted to get the table in first, so I could make sure the table was oriented the way I wanted it, and have the pendants match the table.  

The pendants came with six or seven feet of cable, which is far too long.  It's easy as pie to shorten them, though, so I did.    Got the cables the right length, wired the fixture, hung it from the ceiling, stepped back, FUUUUUU !

The lamps are a full quarter inch crooked.  How much would that piss you off?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/20210131_132435_jpg-1806104.JPG
View Quote
Put two coasters under the legs of the low end , problem solved
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't get ticked off that easily so that wouldn't bother me that much. Life's too short to get bent out of shape over the small stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd raise those lamps at least a couple of feet higher.  Leave some slack in the box rather than cutting the wires again, as there probably is a decent amount of volume in the box for such scrawny gauge lamp wire.
View Quote
And this. I always try to leave 2-6 inches of extra coiled up for adjusting. People always play the " oh, I think they need to be a little lower" BS. After going up and down a few times, they end up back where I had them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ahhh. Comprende'.
I do this for living. Sometimes you got to take a couple swings with these things. It also gives you an appreciation of how stupid some of these light designers are. The lights may look good, but there is rarely any thought put into how to hang them.
Bill Clinton: "I feel your pain"
View Quote

I've dealt with worse.  

Quoted:
View Quote

There's no cutting - it's all pre-wired.  Just bundle the slack up inside the housing.  I'm thinking wait for a while and see if the wires pull themselves straight, which will probably make them a little crooked again, and then even them out.  Maybe this summer.  I dunno though, the lamps don't have a whole lot of weight to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The wires ARE a bit kinked,which is how they came out of the box.  I hung the lamps that way because I was going for an "intimate restaurant" look.  You would have to be like 6' 8" for them to be in your way when you're sitting there though.
View Quote

Negative, I ain't no tall dude, but those things are hanging half way down from the ceiling.  

Looks retarded as hell to me, but hey you do you.    

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The way I did it, I set the fixture on the table with the lamps on the floor.  I then shortened each cable so that they were the same length.  Somehow, the rearmost lamp is hanging 1/4" too low.  It's an easy fix, it just means that I'll have to dismount the entire fixture to deal with it.  Thirty minutes worth of work.   This whole thread is just my personal penance so that next time, I'll actually break out a tape measure instead of trying to half-ass it.
View Quote

Yes them being off in height would bother me....sounds like you know what you have to do though.

My guess is you'll shorten the long one too much, then have to go shorten the other 2 to match....this will go on and on until they are eventually at ceiling height and the problem will be fixed
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not sure why you would buy a table you can not slide up to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Lamps are equal length. It’s the ceiling that’s off a quarter
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes them being off in height would bother me....sounds like you know what you have to do though.

My guess is you'll shorten the long one too much, then have to go shorten the other 2 to match....this will go on and on until they are eventually at ceiling height and the problem will be fixed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you've SEEN me do my home improvement projects before then?  Do I know you?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am not sure why you would buy a table you can not slide up to.
View Quote

Well, I didn't, and you can.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd probably spend $40k and just remodel the entire kitchen and dining area.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd probably spend $40k and just remodel the entire kitchen and dining area.
View Quote

Dang, there goes this site; costing me money again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those lights are too low.  Raise them up OP and you wont notice the 1/4 inch.
View Quote

Yeah, I'd raise them about half the length that they are in the picture.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh crap... Did I just see it?

Is the back lamp 1/4" too low? Hell yes I would fix that RFN! And I'm serious.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd go fucking postal if my lights were a 1/4" off.
seriously. That is Jack Nicholson chopping through a door with an axe level anger.

Or perhaps you might be better off checking to see if you can get a script for the medical weed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have just installed them, and the drops ARE kinked (as it appears in the photo), then let them hang a bit TURNED ON before you do ANYTHING....

Gravity as well as the heat of the current flowing will soften and relax the cordage a bit, and you may end up with vastly different heights after a day or two.  Your "low" light may end up being your highest of the three, etc.

Wait for that then correct as needed?  

Plus, I'm guessing some of the cordage can be pulled up into the bevel plate up top, eliminating the need to cut/splice anything.

But, yep, I'd fix it in the end.  My eyes would be drawn to it every time I walked into the room.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dude.   They don't make silver electrical tape.  I checked.
View Quote

you new at this? wrap in electrical and wrap with duck. duh
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks within tolerance to me.  Let it go or spend hours trying to "fix it".

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shorten two of the table legs by 1/4".
View Quote

Wisdom like this is why I come here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd go fucking postal if my lights were a 1/4" off.
seriously. That is Jack Nicholson chopping through a door with an axe level anger.

Or perhaps you might be better off checking to see if you can get a script for the medical weed.
View Quote

Ha.  I wish.  You can't GET medicinal weed here.  I mean, you can get stopped with up to an oz and just get NTA'd, so it amounts to the same thing, I guess.   I mean... that's what I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you have just installed them, and the drops ARE kinked (as it appears in the photo), then let them hang a bit TURNED ON before you do ANYTHING....

Gravity as well as the heat of the current flowing will soften and relax the cordage a bit, and you may end up with vastly different heights after a day or two.  Your "low" light may end up being your highest of the three, etc.

Wait for that then correct as needed?  

Plus, I'm guessing some of the cordage can be pulled up into the bevel plate up top, eliminating the need to cut/splice anything.

But, yep, I'd fix it in the end.  My eyes would be drawn to it every time I walked into the room.
View Quote

Finally, some words of wisdom in this dumpster fire of a thread.  I feel like Rogueboss must feel most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I can't see the offset from the picture, but the proximity of the lights to the table make my head hurt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Fix it, or be driven mad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be more worried about that crooked door in the corner.... doesn't look like it's hung correctly as there is a gap at the top
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

I can't see the offset from the picture, but the proximity of the lights to the table make my head hurt.
View Quote

They're really not that low, I swear.  They just look like it in the photo.  Remember, it's a counter-height table, so it might be throwing your perspective off a bit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#39]
If they're anything like other hanging pendants I've worked with in the past, you're better off lowered the other two lights 1/4" by gently pulling on them. You shouldn't have to remove the fixture to do that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this. Might as well do a couple chairs too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I think I could live with the quarter inch issue...its all about whether the solution is worth the effort or not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Not as much as that shitty looking warped door!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Offset them on purpose, it will look better that way. Far left, 1 foot higher than center, split the difference on the far right.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#45]
So instead of just fixing it, you started a thread that you have to babysit.  Excellent use of your time
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be listed as "duct tape".
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So instead of just fixing it, you started a thread that you have to babysit.  Excellent use of your time
View Quote

I think I'm gonna do what HellBent said.  Let them hang for a while, keep the lamps lit while they hang, and see if the suspension cables straighten out any.  Then I'll probably raise the center lamp up six inches or so.  Maybe not, maybe I'll keep them straight.  I like the way they look in a straight line better than staggered, but staggered is more "modern" and artsy-fartsy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  You can't fool me!  Guy above said it's called "duck tape!"  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:or the eyes of any potential dates I might have.
View Quote

When you’re paying hourly, they don’t care about lights in face.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:or the eyes of any potential dates I might have.

Hourly?  I pay by the minute.  It's much cheaper.  In minecraft.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top