Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 9:23:07 PM EDT
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2309479

Dec. 19, 2003, 8:39PM

Robbers merciless in restaurant heists
Police say number of victim assaults increasing rapidly

By PEGGY O'HARE
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

A group of masked robbers terrorizing north Houston taquerias are merciless in their quests for cash, police investigators said Friday.

Armed with shotguns, pistols and knives, the robbers have beaten, shot at and stabbed even cooperative victims. Since Oct. 30, the group has stormed nine taquerias and a Denny's restaurant. The number of attacks is escalating, Houston police say, with seven such heists occurring in the past two weeks.

"They are being very brutal," said investigator Roger Chappell. "They are injuring people inside these restaurants. Whether (the victims) are complying or not makes no difference. Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of witnesses stay around that could give us information."

Police are advising restaurant operators to keep surveillance cameras in good condition and to be cautious of anyone lurking outside, especially groups of people in a car.

Three people were taken to the hospital after the latest heist early Friday at a Denny's in the 7700 block of Veterans Memorial. Three men and a woman burst into the restaurant at about 3 a.m., wearing ski masks or hoods, Chappell said. After demanding wallets and money from customers and employees, the robbers shot at a man's vehicle pulling up as they left.

In most cases, one of the robbers posed as a customer, asking for directions or to use a bathroom or phone, Chappell said. The robber usually left, then returned with accomplices.

Seven of the holdups escalated into assaults, even when victims fully cooperated.

"It looks to us like (victims) are doing what they're required to do ... but they're still being beaten with the weapons. In one incident, we had two who were stabbed," Chappell said.

The heists are not believed to be related to a recent robbery at a Whataburger restaurant in southwest Houston, Chappell said.

The suspects are described as three black men and a black woman, all between 19 and 25 years old. The robber depicted in a composite sketch released Friday has a teardrop tattoo under one eye and is smaller than his accomplices, standing 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighing 140 to 160 pounds. The other men are 5 feet 11 inches to 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 190 to 210 pounds.

I'm definately switching out my CCW from a SW 642 to a hicap semi-auto.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No one needs a gun for defense.  If a person holds you up or breaks into your home, you should not fight back.  Just do what he says and you'll be OK.  If you fight back, it will be much more likely that you will be hurt.

[rolleyes]

Yeah, tell that to these guys, and the passengers in the jets on 9/11/01.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No one needs a gun for defense.  If a person holds you up or breaks into your home, you should not fight back.  Just do what he says and you'll be OK.  If you fight back, it will be much more likely that you will be hurt.

[rolleyes]

Yeah, tell that to these guys, and the passengers in the jets on 9/11/01.
View Quote

Greenhorn,

Check out "The 7 myths of Gun Control" by Richard Poe. He talk sabout "Active Compliance" and how nowadays it doesnt work anymore... GREAT point about 9-11, They complied...They're dead.

In the book he talks about this group of kids that were taken hostage as a home invasion robbery, then as one scumbag held them hostage at gunpoint the other scumbag took one at a time to their ATM machine and withdrew what they can. then when that was all done the two assholes took the kids to a snowy football field and shot each of them in the head execution style.

Only way the authorities knew what really happened was one of the kids survived.

[sarcasm]Lovely aint it?[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If I'm eating dinner, and I encounter these jerks, there won't be any hesitation. Out comes the CCW as soon as I see a gun and it's gonna be showtime.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The world could use a few more Bernnie Getz's.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
One more time.  The odds are stacked against them but they are picking their sopts carefully.  They wouldn't last a minute anywhere near Spring, Tomball, Liberty, Cleveland, Magnolia, Katy or the like.  The yuppie element is usually unarmed.  They know where to srike.

H piddly D isn't going to find them unless the officers go undercover but even then they will case the joint and if they see some rotund, moustached well groomed guy, they will go elsewhere.  Likewise if they see Joe Redneck eating there.  These guys do their homework.

It is time to go hunting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You TXen's need to advertise to the the restarants.  Show your CCW to the mgr and eat free.  Just like us cops. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You TXen's need to advertise to the the restarants.  Show your CCW to the mgr and eat free.  Just like us cops. [:D]
View Quote

It's a thought. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, that just might be the ticket.  The taco stands are usually catering to the immigrants and "alternatively documented" types who would probably not be eligible to purchase a firearm, let alone get a CCW.  But Dennys?  They just cater to the freaks at that hour of night.  And sometimes cops.  And students on a marathon study session.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Better go out with a couple of friends.  2-1 at the  Whattaburger is possible good outcome.  4-1 odds with a group that is known to be violent is pretty badly stacked deck.

It also sounds like they are estimating the odds before they come in too.

I'ld go back to the Whattaburgers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#10]
They will probably continue to escalate until they begin killing victims...fairly common pattern...they may also change their AO after several hits in the same general area since they know the Law will move in.

Be advised that the HPD or whomever will almost certainly have formed a QRF of some sort to respond to this stuff...awful easy to be mistaken in the heat of the moment for a bad guy holding a gun by responding officers.

Very bad shit, this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Practice hammers, box drills, failure drills.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot the woman first. As terrorists, they tend to be more brutal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shoot the woman first. As terrorists, they tend to be more brutal.
View Quote

Man, you aren't kidding.  I hadn't thought of that, but I will if the time ever comes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, let me recap. I'm at the burger joint, in comes a black woman, I'll double-tap her, right? [BD]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, let me recap. I'm at the burger joint, in comes a black woman, I'll double-tap her, right? [BD]
View Quote

That depends on your definition of "double tap" and what she looks like.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#16]
"It looks to us like (victims) are doing what they're required to do ... but they're still being beaten with the weapons. In one incident, we had two who were stabbed," Chappell said.
View Quote

It doesn't sound to me the victims are doing what they are supposed to be doing -- these guys are still out robbing people.  I guess the sheep are just supposed to comply. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Where are those guys from the Whataburger threads who said you (a) shouldn't open fire on the BGs and (b) shouldn't do anything at all unless they start rounding people up or robbing them indiviually? Don't they have anything to add?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't sound to me the victims are doing what they are supposed to be doing -- these guys are still out robbing people.  I guess the sheep are just supposed to comply. [rolleyes]
View Quote

It's disappointing when the criminals don't observe proper crime etiquette, isn't it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top