Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 7:13:37 PM EDT
Houston McCoy died today.  He was the one that took out Charles Whitman, the UT tower sniper
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
RIP.

Thanks for putting an end to the crazy that day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]

always hate to hear of family passing
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
RIP
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That name just oozes coolness.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Another name that will live in history. RIP
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#10]
RIP

"In 1966, the 25-year-old Whitman fatally shot 14 people, including Austin police officer Billy Speed, and wounded 32 others until McCoy and fellow officer Ramiro Martinez both fired shots that stopped him. McCoy’s blast from a 12-gauge shotgun hit Whitman in the face, and, according to the autopsy, the fatal wounds were to Whitman’s head and heart. A bullet from Martinez’s .38-caliber handgun also hit Whitman. Martinez also grabbed McCoy’s shotgun and shot Whitman one more time as he lay on the ground."

That's some old school shit right there!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]
How nice that Mr.  McCoy lived almost another half century to enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How nice that Mr.  McCoy lived almost another half century to enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.

He should get a pass on an extra 50.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RIP

"In 1966, the 25-year-old Whitman fatally shot 14 people, including Austin police officer Billy Speed, and wounded 32 others until McCoy and fellow officer Ramiro Martinez both fired shots that stopped him. McCoy’s blast from a 12-gauge shotgun hit Whitman in the face, and, according to the autopsy, the fatal wounds were to Whitman’s head and heart. A bullet from Martinez’s .38-caliber handgun also hit Whitman. Martinez also grabbed McCoy’s shotgun and shot Whitman one more time as he lay on the ground."

wasn't there a civilian involved in the final assault on Whitman's position?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP

TBH I don't know but I do have a picture of Witman's final resting place (WARNING VERY GRAPHIC)

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIP

Yeah, crum. He accidentally fired his rifle before he got to Whitman, which did distract Whitman enough for McCoy to shoot him from the other side

I guess that means he helped

Edit: RIP, sir

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

RIP

American Hero

RIP Mr McCoy

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#18]
A good man.  I've talked with him several times over the years.

Had some major health problems,  it's amazing he held out as long as he did.

Austin  PD still has his shotgun and displays it in a glass case on occasion.

He thought the civilian was a fucking idiot that came close to killing his partner with an ND.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A good man.  I've talked with him several times over the years.

Had some major health problems,  it's amazing he held out as long as he did.

Austin  PD still has his shotgun and displays it in a glass case on occasion.

He thought the civilian was a fucking idiot that came close to killing his partner with an ND.

Yep, KEYETV aired a segment on him last night in regards to the 40th anniversary of the event.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I was  stationed at Bergstrom AFB at the time of the shooting. After all these years I still remember it well. Sometime later I was involved in a traffic accident and McCoy was the investigator. He tried to get me to apply for the Austin PD. He was a gentleman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top