Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:05:17 PM EST
thanks to all those to responded my "One day at Wally World" thread. But how about this situation. In 1986 I moved from California to Texas. As I went to get Texas plates and register my '79 Honda Accord. I was asked several questions about the car. It came up that I told them I had bought the car from a private individual. And was asked if I had paid a sales tax on it. I answered no. Then the clerk tells me I have to pay it here. I forget the exact amount but it was several hundred dollars.

To be honest, I wonder if had I known about the sales tax, I would've answered differently.

how about you?

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:06:00 PM EST
No comment here...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:08:52 PM EST
Hard one .. . i would have lied. So far i have managed to avoid paying the sales tax / registration fee on all the cars i have bought. I bought them while i was still active duty and my home of record was Oregon which has no sales tax. So i would register my car up there last time it saved me about $2000.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:09:18 PM EST
What?

I smell bullshit on that one. I think the sales clerk pulled one over on you. How can they charge sales tax on a private sale that you made in another state? And even if they could, why would you pay the DMV the sales tax?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:09:50 PM EST
How did you NOT pay the sales tax here in Cal?

It is done at transfer of ownership.

Myself, I prefer honesty, because its just to hard trying to keep track of all the lies and I always feel guilty anyways.

Not worth it to me.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:10:38 PM EST
no bs. It really happend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:11:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By blackrifle51:

I didn't mean to imply that you were making this up, I meant to say that I think what the DMV did to you is bullshit. I think they robbed you.

Assuming it is somehow legal I would have done what you did...grudgingly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:13:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
How did you NOT pay the sales tax here in Cal?

It is done at transfer of ownership.

Myself, I prefer honesty, because its just to hard trying to keep track of all the lies and I always feel guilty anyways.

Not worth it to me.

Sgtar15

It was my first car and I don't know why I didn't pay it then. I thought the sales tax was added at the time of purchase? If I did pay the sales tax in Calif, I didn't know/or remember it. Perhaps I was just too stupid of a kid to know any better.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:15:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:

Originally Posted By blackrifle51:

I didn't mean to imply that you were making this up, I meant to say that I think what the DMV did to you is bullshit. I think they robbed you.

Assuming it is somehow legal I would have done what you did...grudgingly.

I answered with thinking first. I didn't know I would be charged the sales tax.
If I had known.... I don't know what I would've said.

Top Top