Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2010 5:14:28 PM EDT
Who has one, im concerned about the power on the ruckus 50cc.
Almost bought one today, new but it was red. They said they had black but when I got there only red. Im sure if they had black I would of snagged it, but now I have more time to decide, red didnt look good. One of those spur of the moment things, but I didnt buy because of the color.

I have a motorcycle, but because of some hit and run accidents I end up being in, I havent rode it for a few months. I was thinking a scooter will be alot slower, and since no freeway maybe no more accidents. Just hate that im limited to certain roads. So my only concern is how does it handle going up hills. I also saw a zuma for the same price must also be 50cc but the one in the store had no engine size but it was black, wonder if that would be a better pick. Not sure of the top speed on that one. Dont really like the looks but I only had about 10 min before the store closed and was concentrated on the ruckus.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Honda metropolitan is pathetically slow! The rucus has the same engine, not sure if it's faster. The Yamaha 50cc models I have ridden are much faster. The older 2 stroke Zuma's were easy to modify with a $100 Big Bore kit and a gearing change. Without spending too much, they could do 60MPH in a tuck.

The metro went 25. The Yam went 40.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like the zuma is fuel injected, but maybe thats on the 125. Also both zuma and ruckus 50cc are 4 stroke. I dont realy care about top speed, I just wonder how much power it has for going up hills. Im sure they wont let me test drive one, unless its used. so far im feeling better about not buying one. Maybe tomorrow I wont care at all. If I could get a 125 for $2000 I would get one, but I just think the 50 size may not be what I want since it limits the roads I can go on. A 250 dual sport would be ideal, but a few years ago I sold my 400 dual sport, should of kept that, it could go anywhere. But then again I run into the thing im trying to stay away from, high speed accidents.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I did a little research. I googled "Honda Rukus top speed". I came up with all the info.

Bottom line. That Honda engine is way underpowered. 18MPH up slight hills was what someone said. That mirrors my experience on the metro. Pathetic.

I rode a Yamaha vino. It was WAY faster than the metro. I don't know if it's the same as the zuma engine. But, the vino had enough power to safely ride on back roads and side streets.

However, I will always suggest a bigger bike. Even a 125cc "real motorcycle" will be far better than a scooter. For a number of years, I rode a 250cc single as my only transportation. It was just fine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Well also the zuma may be 2 stroke, at least ones that are a few years old, and those need to much work and maintenance. Maybe I will just buy a new ak at the gun show today, some reason ever since I took my cash out, and counted it I have to spend something. Thats why for so long I never counted it. I will just scour craigs list for a few days, only one ruckus on there 2009 but they want as much as a brand new one out the door and its used
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a ruckus and its pretty slow. I think ive gone around 43ish down big hills for my max, but theres one really steep hill by my house that I can only go 10mph up. I also have a 2005 which has less power than the new ones. Kind of annoying but i use it just to get around town where theres no speed limits over 35 so im good. Dont by a ruckus if you are trying to go fast. You can mod them pretty easy and125 cc swaps are pretty common. If you're really interested go look around on Total Ruckus. Make sure you read up before posting though cause they can get pissed if you ask something thats "obvious" to them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave up on a scooter for now, bought an ak at the gun show instead. Happier now, spent less money too

I did look on total ruckus, alot of modding done there. I did see mention of a older super ruckus or something like that, I think it was a 250. That would be pretty cool but they dont make those anymore.

Later I may just go back to a dual sport, 250 size like kawi makes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yamaha makes a 125 Zuma that looks pretty competent.

ETA: I rode Pighelmet's brother's Ruckus a few years ago, it would do 35-40 with a clean haircut. That's indicated, not certified calibrated. I like the concept and idea but they are a little out of their element outside of the neighborhood. Acceleration is where it hurts. Love to have one for my rural place up north though!

The Zuma50 a buddy had wayyyy back in 1990 was pretty quick, topped out about 35-40. He could tear me up getting to 30, but my YSR50 had another 25mph in hand, easy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Last week I ended up getting a good deal on a zuma. 2005 with about 3500 miles for $500, but then was raped by the dmv for $500 in expired registration fees the seller didnt tell me about, I knew it was expired but assumed it was non op, or that the dmv starts fresh with a new owner. Only had to put new front pads on, and clean off all the dust, thats it. Already got 300+ miles on it with no problems.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last week I ended up getting a good deal on a zuma. 2005 with about 3500 miles for $500, but then was raped by the dmv for $500 in expired registration fees the seller didnt tell me about, I knew it was expired but assumed it was non op, or that the dmv starts fresh with a new owner. Only had to put new front pads on, and clean off all the dust, thats it. Already got 300+ miles on it with no problems.

Umm, you cannot be held responsible for the previous owners registration fees.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something very not right there...
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for info on this little thread highjack.

A couple friends of my girlfriend have Rukuses (Rukii?).  I know he rides it to work quite often on side roads.  He said recently '35mph downhill with the wind at your back'.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
these look pretty cool http://moto-scoot.net/

cooler than a scooter anyways
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UMM yes I can and did. Maybe in other states your not but here I was forced to pay, since I had already purchased the scooter. They said by law he was to have disclosed this to me, all it said in the ad was registration was due, not overdue for 3 years. I guess I could sue as he did not help me out at all after I told him about this. Maybe he knew thats why he was selling it so cheap, maybe he didnt know. Now maybe if I was to transfer it out of state the fees go away, or the dmv bullied me but I had no choice since here it must be registered insured and plated, and I must have a M1 license to ride it too. In the end I still got it less then blue book, runs great BTW.

Wonder if I canceled the plate and got a new one if thats a way around this. Ive seen alot of used cars for sale where you need to get new plates. Should of asked about that.

Up hills its around 30-33 depending on how steep, and flat out 39-40. Down a hill 43+ but gauge stops at 40. So far everywhere I go its good enough. Im mostly stuck on hilly roads 45+ speed limit so I always try to take the long slower way.

Im over the DMV bullshit. Took a few days though.
Now im on a new pissed off mood, as my insurance has went up for my class c license $80 because I now have 14 years of perfect driving record, yes perfect. They said im at a bigger chance of getting a claim now because of all the years of a perfect record. I think I have entered the twilight zone. I fought them about this for 2 days demanding the statistics they claim on this, but I have lost the battle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Personally the ruckus wins in looks and the zuma next for me, but I had to get the zuma because of price, and the huge storage under the seat, the ruckus has no storage actually none enclosed.
I admit most other scooters do look ghey, mine at least looks off road looking....
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#16]

This really looks neat. But looks very tiny like a pit bike. Think how scary it would be to be in a huge trucks blind spot. Its bad enough on my scooter and not having alot of power to get in front.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens here in Oklahoma as well. It's a $1 a day but they cap it at $100.

I still think it's bullshit. I feel if I want to store the car and not drive it, I should be able to let the tag run out and not get penalized. They don't see it that way. Auto registration is just a fucking tax anyway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally the ruckus wins in looks and the zuma next for me, but I had to get the zuma because of price, and the huge storage under the seat, the ruckus has no storage actually none enclosed.
I admit most other scooters do look ghey, mine at least looks off road looking....

They make aftermarket storage boxes that go under the seat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make aftermarket storage boxes that go under the seat.

Oh , all I saw was a net as an add on, but the seat is still low so you end up with about half the space. I actually use both my seat and top carrier alot when shopping so it works out great for me. Plus the ruckus I was looking at had no rear rack so I would of had to make one or buy one for my top box anyways. Im sure there are a ton of ruckus parts I know nothing about, there are so many add on parts for them they end up looking like a whole different bike. They are still the best looking all tricked out with the huge rear tires and stretched swingarm.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://moto-scoot.net/images/sachs_madass_125_black.jpg

This really looks neat. But looks very tiny like a pit bike. Think how scary it would be to be in a huge trucks blind spot. Its bad enough on my scooter and not having alot of power to get in front.

Does that thing say "MANASS" on the side?!  

DO NOT WANT!

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
maybe its french   monass  thats how I would pronounce it
but yeah it needs a better name
saw some videos, its a decent size and shift gears so you can really get the power out if it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://moto-scoot.net/images/sachs_madass_125_black.jpg

Does that thing say "MANASS" on the side?!  

DO NOT WANT!

No, more like MADASS. You should check out the website. They even have an ASSPIPE for it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Well after having the zuma for a couple of months I just sold it and bought a new zuma 125. Its bigger of course, 4 stroke and fuel injected. Bone stock it blows away my heavily modded zuma 70cc 2 stroke so im not even going to mess with modding this one, performance wise. Ive gained 10+ mph going up hills now and 15+ top speed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top