Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 4:37:06 AM EDT
I've need to patch a hole in some drywall, but the wall has that orange-peel type finish.

I know how to patch the hole, but how do I replicate the finish?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
bump.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
how did you make the orange peel type finish in the first place? Usually they sell kits, or somebody used 2 different color paint and a sponge to make the finish. If you did not originally do it, you might as well repaint the room . Its probrobly time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done it before with a roller when the paint was semi dry and adding another coat or two. Didn't match 100% but is close. Use a primer as well so the new paint doesnt get sucked up into the mud and drywall.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to your favorite DYI center, in the drywall section should be cans of spray on drywall texture.  One should be a "orange peel".  

Patch hole, texture, prime then paint.

Simple
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
ONce you get that can of Drywall Tecture - Do this 1st!!!!!

Get a smaller piece of dry wall that you have primered.  Practice on that sample piece before you actually spray your wall.  You will find out what works best to match.

The stuff is not cheap BUT it does work.  It come sin a Red and White can!  Same size as paint can of bigger.  I use it very very often in my rentals!

good luck!

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Get a smaller piece of dry wall that you have primered.  Practice on that sample piece before you actually spray your wall.  You will find out what works best to match.

The stuff is not cheap BUT it does work.  It come sin a Red and White can!  Same size as paint can of bigger.  I use it very very often in my rentals!

good luck!

Do you happen to recall what the name of this product is?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
One company is Homex, their can is red and white.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Home Depot has some pathes that are peel and stick and are pre textured. Have used them and they work great!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck!

Do you happen to recall what the name of this product is?

I think Home Depot carries SprayTex drywall texture spray and probably other brand names.

I can't link directly to the Home Depot page with the product on it, but if you go to www.homedepot.com and search for "spraytex" it should take you to it so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.

ETA: pic added.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

good luck!

And remember, there is not a lot of product in the can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
[And remember, there is not a lot of product in the can.

It'll help is you put the can in a pan of warm water before you use it.  This stuff is notorious for not going as far as the label says.  Buy extra, return what you don't use.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Patching drywall and then trying to get texture to match the rest of the wall is very difficult. if you want itto look good then do the whole wall. Do you have access to a compressor? Get a HF texture sprayer for 20 and a box of texture. Patch the area well and then retexture the whole wall. if done right no one will ever be able to tell where the patch was.here is a pic of a wall i textured after a patch. Can you tell me wherethe patch was??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top