Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/10/2010 2:26:48 AM EDT
All of a sudden, my Apple Aiport Extreme isn't working well at all.

Setup is as follows:

Motorola cable modem - Airport Extreme - Wifi signal for laptop and cell phone and 1 hard wire ethernet connection off the Airport.

I am getting maybe 15-30 minutes of internet connectivity and then I have problems.

On my desktop PC: I can't access internet sites. Windows says I have "limited connectivity"

On my laptop PC: "Windows cannot connect to Dave's Network"

On my Nexus One cell phone: I click the network to connect and it just never connects, no error codes or anything.

In order to fix the problem I have to unplug BOTH the Airport and my modem and plug them back in. Doing this to just one or the other doesn't solve the problem.

What do you guys think, do I need a new router? Also, I just got my Nexus One yesterday. I'm assuming it's a coincidence that this started happening yesterday as well, as I don't see how my cell phone could kill my network.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:13:17 AM EDT
Update. When I plug the modem directly into the desktop PC, everything works fine. So, it's a router issue. Do routers "go bad" and just simply need to be replaced? I've had the Airport Extreme for about 2 years now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:16:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:
Update. When I plug the modem directly into the desktop PC, everything works fine. So, it's a router issue. Do routers "go bad" and just simply need to be replaced? I've had the Airport Extreme for about 2 years now.

You might try and reset the router but you will use all of your information on it, and then you will have to enter it all in again.

Check your cable you are using to make sure it is not bad, going from the router to the PC
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:54:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Delta:
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:

You might try and reset the router but you will use all of your information on it, and then you will have to enter it all in again.

Check your cable you are using to make sure it is not bad, going from the router to the PC

I don't have the CD that came with the router any more, but I think I can still reset it without any major issues. I don't think the cable from the router to the PC is the culprit since I can't connect to the internet via WiFi using this router, either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2010 8:02:58 AM EDT by rxdawg]
Updating firmware - there is a windows utility you can download if you arent using a Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2611

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

Edit: Heat issues are a known problem too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:20:13 PM EDT
Airports go bad, just like any other router. I'd go ahead and pick a new one up, either a new Airport or a Linksys router...just something basic, you don't need to spend a lot unless you need the signal to pass through several walls or long distance. I've run Linksys routers with Linux firmware for years...I've replaced 3 so far...about once every 2-3 years.
Top Top