Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:20:37 AM EDT
A couple of weeks ago my home computer died (there was an awful burning smell coming from it). I tried a new power supply, but that didn't do anything. Then I tried a new motherboard, and that didn't do anything either. THEN I tried a new case (with a new power supply) and it still refused to start. When the power switch is pushed, nothing happens. Yesterday I installed a new CPU, and still nothing happens (actually, when the power swich is pushed, the cooling fan (on the case) moves for about 1/10 of a second, and then stops. The case lights flash also for 1/10 of a second, and that's it).

It is an ATX motherboard with an AMD Athlon. What is there that I could be doing wrong? It's not that complicated or hard to put together. Just to be safe, the colored cables (the ones that run from the power switch to the Front Pannel Connector) go on the left and the white ones on the right?

What else is there do here? The only components I'm recycling from the old system are the disk drives, everyting else is brand new.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to illwillpress.com then click toons..... Third row 5th one over. Tech Suport. That will help you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you read the manual?

Most ATX connectors will only go on one way, so as long as you have the connector seated properly, it should work.

Check all your connections, read the manual, it's probably something simple.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Dumb question: Did you try a different outlet or even circuit?  How about the power cord?  
When you say 'new', you mean new out of box with documentation, or just 'different' ?

Will check the thread before dinner.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
post pics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Could also be a CPU clock error.  Check the manual for the correct jumpers you need for the speed proc you are using.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Plug the power cord into an outlet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Plug the power cord into an outlet.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Could also be a CPU clock error.  Check the manual for the correct jumpers you need for the speed proc you are using.

+1 some motherboards are shipped with jumpers in the wrong position.

eta:  make sure you have that 12V yellow wire plugged into your motherboard from the power supply.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem with one of my computers.  One of the USB ports was screwed up and would short out a chip on the motherboard resulting in the lovely smell of  a frying computer.  If you were connecting or disconnecting any USB device check and make sure the are ok.  I could easily see the fried chip when I opened the computer and checked the motherboard
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]
^^^ What he said.

But , I try with just the mobo, cpu/fan and RAM- no add on cards and then see if it will it post.

ETA: did you double check the way that the CPU is seated??? can you see it from the side to make sure it is level????

See if you can get into bios and check the CPU temp... I realize that tough to do if it won't boot at all..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
as i understand it it's not even completeing a post prior to bios load. My money is on a blown CPU and possible a blown new MB. that or a bad CPU fan.

sounds like CPU...but what about the smell??? I usually only get that from a bad PS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Pull the cmos battery and put it back in.  I went through every fucking thing I could possibly think of when I just built mine like 3 months ago.  It would not post and I was like wtf kill me now.  My buddy was like pull the cmos battery and I did and bam it worked.  I have no idea wtf was wrong, but it worked.  Worth a shot for the 20 seconds it takes to do it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
That smell was the Magic Smoke escaping from your computer.  Once you let the Magic Smoke out of the computer it is very hard to replace.  So hard that most people never even try to do it, they just go out and buy a new computer that has the Magic Smoke pre-installed.  Good luck finding the Magic Smoke replacement kit !  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
sounds like CPU...but what about the smell??? I usually only get that from a bad PS.

Or fried CPU because the fan was not seated
properly. Toms Hardware did a failure test on
CPUs and an Athlon will fail within a minute
with no fan.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you let out the magic smoke.  

Do NOT replace CPU without replacing motherboard at the same time. One being bad can kill the other.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or fried CPU because the fan was not seated
properly. Toms Hardware did a failure test on
CPUs and an Athlon will fail within a minute
with no fan.

The test I saw, They pulled the fanns off of a running CPU,
and the CPU's shut down and protected themselves....

They were the hig end FX's and such. Takes a good sized set to pull the fan off a $900 CPU.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#22]
if there was a "bad smell" it could affect anything in the box.  strip the system down to minimum.

you might need to replace the memory, system board, and cpu all at once., and video card and anything pluged in to the board.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you plug it in?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#24]
The motherboard only has two jumpers, and those look OK.

Things that are brand new (NEVER used):

Motherboard
CPU
Case
Power supply

I have checked all the cables, it looks OK (I think), but the darned thing still won't come to life

And yes, it has been plugged on to the AC outlet...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Are there any extra studs making contact with the back of the board?

ETA: Try to run it out of the case and on the box the mobo came on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are there any extra studs making contact with the back of the board?

ETA: Try to run it out of the case and on the box the mobo came on.

There might be a couple. I'll try taking the thing off the case and see if it makes any difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#28]
One thing about smell...A number of new components will give off a crappy smell when new. Power supllies are a major culprit. I had a Giga-Byte board that wouldn't boot like yours. Most boards are jumperless now so I removed the CMOS battery and waited a few. When I popped the battery back in the machine booted just fine.  Make sure the capacitors surrounding the CPU socket all have flat tops.  If they are bubbled up, they're dead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Checked the CMOS jumper?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Go to illwillpress.com then click toons..... Third row 5th one over. Tech Suport. That will help you.

That is a great site.  Another afternoon wasted, it's as bad as finding a new good webcomic.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#31]
CMOS jumper is set at "normal" position.

The motherboard was installed with the old CPU, when that didn't work a new CPU was installed, along with a new (virgin) CPU fan. I'll try it later with the board out of the case, and see if I have a short somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top