Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 9:13:44 PM EDT
Got a new television and home theater setup.  The TV is a 27" Phillips and the home theater is Magnavox.  Sounds great and compared to my 10 year old TV the new one is great.  

So...Any good?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're happy with it then be satisfied.  Those of us that have upgrade-itis might not be.  

I'm on the verge of being cured of HT upgrade-itis.  But I think it is going towards my AR15s, or maybe my car.

What do you have questions about?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If the TV is the right size for your seating distance from the set, and the home theater system sounds good and has a minimum number of connections you have to deal with, you did good.

I used to think you had to have the exact super duper high tech equipment to do home theater right. Now I've realized that having something that works well and you're happy with is much more important. Plus I'm much more friendly to integrated systems than I was in the past. Too much futzing with wires and plugs for my taste.

When I have my own room dedicated just to watching movies, then I'll worry about getting the uber equipment and hooking it all up right. Better yet, I'll pay some poor schlub to deal with all those wires.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wanted to know if I chose good stuff and any tips I might need to know.  I haven't bought new electronic gear barring guitar stuff in 6-8 years.  The HT was 199.99 and the TV was 249.99.  It was actually what my wife wanted for her Bday so she picked it out.  I know nothing about any of it.  Just trying to get some insight.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You may hear from some some people that watching a movie with a home theater system costing anything less than $X just isn't worth it. Ignore them. Honestly, all that really matters is that when you watch a DVD is that you and your wife enjoy it.

Tips: Just be sure to RTFM so you'll get the most out of your equipment. It may do some things that surprise you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
RTFM?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Read The F*ckin Manual[BD]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
ahhh!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, if it sounds good, go with it.  I sometimes think I would prefer a less accurate setup, since I can't tell you how many times I've reached for the phone only to find out it was the tv, or went to answer a doorbell ring or a knock that wasn't really there either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
How big is your room?  27 inches seems a bit small for the TV set, especially when 32 inch sets are getting so cheap now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you're happy with it then be satisfied.  Those of us that have upgrade-itis might not be.
View Quote

Just like guns, cameras, computers, or anything else, you can always spend more $$$.

More $$$ = more performance.

I'm disappointed with movie theaters lately, I've got better sound at home.

And you followed the best rule - Bose Blows!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. I wish I could watch new release films at home.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep, at home I can actually hear the 5.1 difference...

specially when the .1 kicks in.. wooo, that subwoofer does the job. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too. I wish I could watch new release films at home.
View Quote

LoL.  I wish too.

But is sure is nice being able to hit the PAUSE button to take a leak!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I am a bit of an audio-phreak. I worked at a high end audio store when I was in college and have been unable to shake the bug. I have no need for the likes of Krell and Mark Levenson; but am generally uncomfortable when I am listening to just the TV speakers and not my theater -- even with sitcoms! Good audio is an acquired taste and the best analogy I have found is to use automobiles as an example. If you own a Camaro and have a never driven a Ferrari, then a Camaro is the fastest car on the planet. However, once accustomed to the Italian sports car, it is very difficult to have a good time in the Chevy. Getting from point A to B seems monotonous...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#15]
What is 5.1?

7.1 is the way to go!!!!!

If it sounds good to you then it is good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

(until you hear something that really [i]IS[/i] good!)
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

(until you hear something that really [i]IS[/i] good!)
View Quote

That's pretty much what I think I was trying to say. There is always something better, so LOOK OUT! Home theaters have a way of digging into  ammo budgets...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
The amazing one is Bose - they suck SO bad.

Bose does a GREAT job of marketing, and they tweak the system so you *think* they sound good.

However, they are very tiring to listen to, very inaccurate and expensive for what you get.

Once someone educates you on the difference, then you can listen to a quality system, the difference is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Ditto on the Bose comment.

Bose sucks!!!!

It's good to see that others are getting the message. The only good thing they do is marketing.

Good luck on your system.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I saved a copy of THE BOSE FAQ that details the problem.

Looks like it got sued off the Net, but I can email it to any interested parties.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been slowly getting my home theater up to speed.  I just purchased a nice set of Sony surround sound speakers with subwoofer and a THX certified Kenwood Audio/Video receiver.

That's attached to a 27" Sony WEGA television (picked it up about 3 years ago) that has almost as many inputs as the receiver.

The Sony DVD player is hooked up via the 5.1 surround sound.  The second DVD player (does CDR and has been hacked for all region viewing) is hooked up via the component video jacks.  VCR, Beta, Cassette deck, CD/MiniDisc combo, Laserdisc, phono and, soon, my Playstation.  And I will still have room to hook stuff up.  
[bounce]

The receiver can be hooked up to a small amp so you can run a seperate set of speakers elsewhere in the house.  Mine will be wired to the speaker run I made for the back deck.  Although I could use the room B video out and that amplifier to watch whatever I wanted on my TV in the bedroom.

Sony does have a nice plasma screen out that would fit into the space above my gas fireplace (entire home theater is built into the wall).  However, it's still around $5K.  Maybe in another year or two.

The receiver I just retired from the living room was bought back in the late 80s at Radio Shack for about $100.  I got my $$$$ worth.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Just wait until you are spending more on cables than your 1st system.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The amazing one is Bose - they suck SO bad.

Bose does a GREAT job of marketing, and they tweak the system so you *think* they sound good.

However, they are very tiring to listen to, very inaccurate and expensive for what you get.

Once someone educates you on the difference, then you can listen to a quality system, the difference is simply amazing.
View Quote

Agreed on all of the above.  

However,  they do make a great little set of computer speakers.   I travel a lot, and needed a small self-powered two piece system.  'Media Mates', $99 at Best Buy.  Concert videos and movies on the laptop are quite good with these.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just wait until you are spending more on cables than your 1st system.  [:)]
View Quote

LOL yeah I was thinking that I spent more on just my cables than on his whole system but I'm trying not to let the HT snob in me out.

I prefer watching movies at home than at the theater, I got a better setup, better sound, more comfortable, no sticky floors, no patrons with respiration problems, affordable snacks, etc...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL yeah I was thinking that I spent more on just my cables than on his whole system but I'm trying not to let the HT snob in me out.

I prefer watching movies at home than at the theater, I got a better setup, better sound, more comfortable, no sticky floors, no patrons with respiration problems, affordable snacks, etc...
View Quote

Yep, all true.

How about when you have so many DVD's you have to bring a list w/you to the store to make sure you don't buy dupes!

I've got mine on an Excel spreadsheet, and download it to a Pocket PC.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, all true.

How about when you have so many DVD's you have to bring a list w/you to the store to make sure you don't buy dupes!

I've got mine on an Excel spreadsheet, and download it to a Pocket PC.
View Quote

Yeah I got that problem too, I keep my dvd list on excel and my palm pilot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah I got that problem too, I keep my dvd list on excel and my palm pilot.
View Quote

So, how many?

I'm over 400 now.  Really slowed down the last few years, once DVD's survival was ensured.  Before that, I was buying fast & furious, just in case.

I use THE CUBE for storage.  They ain't cheap, so it's hard to stay ahead of my storage needs.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13095[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I upgraded my TV/HT system just before the Superbowl.
I love it!
Went with the Pioneer 45TX receiver, combo of Sony - JBL - Pioneer and RS speakers in a 7.1 setup.  Pioneer DVD and a new 32" Sony WEGA(what a heavy mutha).
I honestly think my home system sounds better than the movie theatre, especially when playing THX 7.1 DVD's!

B-Buy
O-Other
S-Sound
E-Equipment
[url]http://www.intellexual.net/b.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, how many?

I'm over 400 now.  Really slowed down the last few years, once DVD's survival was ensured.  Before that, I was buying fast & furious, just in case.

I use THE CUBE for storage.  They ain't cheap, so it's hard to stay ahead of my storage needs.
View Quote

Last count was 679, I use something similar to the cube, my unit holds 400 dvds, using 2 of them. I'm really slowing down as well, only buying movies that I've seen and know are good and worthy of another viewing or two, rather than just buying hoping it's a good movie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#30]
My 1st DVD player was a rebranded Toshiba under the Mitsubishi label.  About $900, as I recall.  1st generation.  It's in the bedroom now.

My next one was a 4th gen Denon.  Cheaper (a bit) and WAY better.  Nice not to see the layer changes any more.  [:)]

Remember the whole Divx scam?  Man, I was glad that died.  Too bad Sucky City didn't go belly up on that deal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Divx, yeah I remember, I still don't go to circuit shitty, I've never forgiven them. My first DVD drive was on a computer I bought and I hooked it up to output to my big screen and my pro logic receiver at the time. My current HT system costs more than my last new car.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is 5.1?

7.1 is the way to go!!!!!
View Quote

Except no DVDs are encoded for 7.1 yet.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#33]
We went whole hog when we moved into our new house and made the family room a home theater room.  Got a 57 inch Sony 700 HD widescreen RPTV, Yamaha 6.1 receiver, Boston Accoustics speakers, and Panasonic progressive scan 5 disc DVD changer.  Muy expensivo, but we make up for it by going to the movies less.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Bose FAQ:

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html[/url]

My current TV:
[img]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/Sony_HS-10.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/hs10-faq.html[/url]

I currently am set up in my living room. The room is kinda small, so I am limited to a 80" 16x9 screen. Combine that with M&K speakers, M&K subwoffer and a Denon sound system, my HT beats the local new theater.

My HTPC controls the media. That and a gyration mouse, surfing the net with a 80" screen is cool.

After seeing the Matrix reloaded this weekend, my wife told me our system is better. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's my setup at my last house - small room.

I'm planning on adding a movie theater in my basement at the new place, so I've only got a temporary setup right now.

I miss my 50".  My 27" just isn't cutting it.

[url=http://userweb.suscom.net/~sbritton/home%20theater.htm]Old setup & equipment selection[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My current TV:
[url]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/Sony_HS-10.jpg[/url]

I currently am set up in my living room. The room is kinda small, so I am limited to a 80" 16x9 screen. Combine that with M&K speakers, M&K subwoffer and a Denon sound system, my HT beats the local new theater.

My HTPC controls the media. That and a gyration mouse, surfing the net with a 80" screen is cool.

After seeing the Matrix reloaded this weekend, my wife told me our system is better. [:)]
View Quote

Damn that's nice.  Wish I had the room for a projector, but it just ain't happening in this house.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#37]
While no DVD uses "True" discrete 7.1 encoding, there are DVD's encoded using Dolby Digital EX, THX Surround EX & DTS Extended Surround (DTS-ES).
These have the surround rear channels matrixed.  A HT receiver that can decode this matrix greatly adds to the surround experience, imo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#38]
And you are going to need these to !!!
[img]http://members.rogers.com/j.hem/1.JPG[/img]
[img]http://members.rogers.com/j.hem/2.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#39]
sony str4es (7.1 i think)
Paradigm 90p main (3 8" subs in each)
Paradigm center
Crap JBL rears
sony 36" wega
sony dvd/sacd
sony cd 5 disk

For those that dont have it - SACD absolutley ROCKS!!!!  GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My current TV:
[url]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/Sony_HS-10.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Damn that's nice.  Wish I had the room for a projector, but it just ain't happening in this house.
View Quote

You may be surprised. We have the setup in in a 13' room. That's all you need.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You may be surprised. We have the setup in in a 13' room. That's all you need.
View Quote

It's not really the size of the room...there just isn't anywhere to mount the projector because of the height and angle of the ceiling.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#42]
The trap here is for people who are never satisfied with what they get and they get trapped in an eternal upgrade cycle.

It really helps to kind of keep this stuff in perspective.

Nice to know one of the nuts though.  Good source of cheap goodies.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Just wanted to know if I chose good stuff and any tips I might need to know.  I haven't bought new electronic gear barring guitar stuff in 6-8 years.  The HT was 199.99 and the TV was 249.99.  It was actually what my wife wanted for her Bday so she picked it out.  I know nothing about any of it.  Just trying to get some insight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

[url=http://userweb.suscom.net/~sbritton/home%20theater.htm]Old setup & equipment selection[/url]
View Quote

Getting the dreaded red X on your link page, but noticed the Def Tech's.  Gotta Love 'Em.

I've got the BP2000tl mains (built in side-firing 15 inch 500 watt sub in each), CLR3000 center (built in 10 inch powered sub), and another Def Tech 15 inch sub.  Old school JBL's as surrounds with an older 12 inch sub hooked into the rear channels.

Use 5 Carver amps, mono, 500 watts to each of the main 5 speakers.  

Love to crank up the lobby shootout scene from the Matrix.  When he get's to the rooftop, bending over backwards as the bullets whiz, the shockwave off this system is awesome.  People have actually ducked down on the couch.

Got a Sony DA4ES reciever on Saturday.  Taking out an older ES preamp and DD processor.  It is a royal pain to disconnect everything and get it hooked back up properly.  Plus having to rebuild a rack.   Hope to finish it tonight.  

New receiver is 7.1 capable.  Hmmm....  That means an extra new set of rear surrounds....  

Like somebody said, it just never ends.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top