Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Piss poor shot at that range...

???

+1

+2

+3 and how do you know what the range was???
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It was right through the heart!  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
at the start of the video it looks kinda like the guy who shot about 5 times and the deer looks at him then walks away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you talking about. Blood is gushing out of that deer like a firehose.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it were right through the heart the deer would have been dead immediately, wouldn't he?  The hunter probably just hit one of the major arteries.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
He was dead, but just didn't know it yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
at the start of the video it looks kinda like the guy who shot about 5 times and the deer looks at him then walks away.

I was gonna say the same thing.   Maybe he ran back to the store real quick and bought a case of ammo?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
You haven't shot many deer have you?  This year the deer I shot had it's heart split in two by my slug and still ran 50 yds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
You can sure tell who has hunted deer before.

The only thing odd about that shot was how long he remained conscious while losing that much blood. He stayed up about 10 seconds longer than he should have been able to.

Could be that the rifle/round combo was not all that great as he did not go all the way down after the shot..    
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You haven't shot many deer have you?  This year the deer I shot had it's heart split in two by my slug and still ran 50 yds.

I have shot 0 deer.  I was just asking, I have no clue.  Since people who get heart attacks or get their jugular cut (hence no blood to the brain) seem to usually pass out or die immediately, I figured a deer would too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Shouldn't need to drain much blood out
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
seen footage of large affrican game getting heart shot with major caliber round and running 200-300 yards before falling over want to say it was a zebra but I cant remember
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#24]
quick, someone go post it on PETA's forums.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The only thing odd about that shot was how long he remained conscious while losing that much blood. He stayed up about 10 seconds longer than he should have been able to.

Could be that the rifle/round combo was not all that great as he did not go all the way down after the shot..    

I have killed two deer.  I have been skilled(read lucky) enough to completely dibilitate the deer I have shot.  First deer was a head shot, dropped where it stood.  Second deer was a spine shot, dropped where it stood.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And make sure to provide a link.  

Even DU would make a good place to post that vid.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
People realize something is wrong and will usually stop and say omg i've been shot. Animals don't know what happened and will just do what instinct tells them, usually run.

IIRC It takes 7-10 seconds for the lack of blood flowing throught the body for the body to quite working. The only way to get a critter to drop on the spot is to hit the central nervice system.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it's behind the heart, that was an easy shoulder shot and it should have dropped the deer dead in it's tracks, presuming of course he used a suitable rifle/bullet combination. That deer bled out from artery damage.

ANdy

I retract that its right through the heart.... it does have some serious arteriel spray.  But I have seen plenty of heart shot deer than sprint farther than the deer on the video.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have killed two deer.  I have been skilled(read lucky) enough to completely dibilitate the deer I have shot.  First deer was a head shot, dropped where it stood.  Second deer was a spine shot, dropped where it stood.

The spine shot probably took longer for the deer to actually die than the deer on that clip.
The deer in that clip was dead about the same time it hit the ground.

A spine shot deer will usually lay there for quite a while before it stops breathing... This is how hunters get killed by a deer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it were right through the heart the deer would have been dead immediately, wouldn't he?  The hunter probably just hit one of the major arteries.

I put one through the heart once. It ran about 100 yards, then dropped and went end over end.

If that was "through the heart" then there would not have been a "pump". Probably through the aorta, or one of the pulmonary (lung) arteries.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like a Monty Python sketch!

It's only a flesh wound!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#33]
some of you REALLY need to research this phenomena:

google Fackler emotional fainting
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The spine shot probably took longer for the deer to actually die than the deer on that clip.
The deer in that clip was dead about the same time it hit the ground.

A spine shot deer will usually lay there for quite a while before it stops breathing... This is how hunters get killed by a deer.

You are very correct. She went down from the spine shot but was not dead.  I quickly ran to her and did a neck shot from about 20 feet.  That ended it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

and say that you are outraged because the John Brady who made the video is the grandson of Jim and Sarah Brady
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and say that you are outraged because the John Brady who made the video is the grandson of Jim and Sarah Brady

Better yet tell them that he used the hunting rifle Sara bought him a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have shot 0 deer.  I was just asking, I have no clue.  Since people who get heart attacks or get their jugular cut (hence no blood to the brain) seem to usually pass out or die immediately, I figured a deer would too.

You've been watching WAY to much tv.  I'm an EMT and I've had people shot through the heart live up to 2 minutes after a 5 minute response time in my truck.  Actually I had one live, but it was a 9mm  no shit  it was 9mm hardball.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an EMT and I've had people shot through the heart live up to 2 minutes after a 5 minute response time in my truck.  Actually I had one live, but it was a 9mm  no shit  it was 9mm hardball.

No need to peep.  Everyone with an IQ above 4 knows that .45 auto is far superior to 9mm in every way imagineable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it's behind the heart, that was an easy shoulder shot and it should have dropped the deer dead in it's tracks, presuming of course he used a suitable rifle/bullet combination. That deer bled out from artery damage.

ANdy

Shoulder shot?  I'm not sure what you mean? In this country, we shoot deer in the boiler room, and bleeding out is the result.  Shoulder shot ruins meat, prolongs kill, etc.  

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
www.boxofficemojo.com/images/bambi_review.jpg

I hate that movie.  

I don't know how many times someone has said "You kill Bambi!?" to me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Shoulder shot?  I'm not sure what you mean? In this country, we shoot deer in the boiler room, and bleeding out is the result.  Shoulder shot ruins meat, prolongs kill, etc.  

Please elaborate.

+1000

A chest shot is a perfectly humane way to kill an animal and still preserve as much edible meat as possible.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I prefer neck shots. Being colorblind and finding a blood trail among all the different colored leafs is a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I've seen a deer run about 15 yards after being hit by a .375 H&H, then again, the rest of them fell down very dead on impact...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm...if it was right through the heart, then what was causing the blood to pump out?  it was most likely an artery...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Is that a canned hunt?  .

Bobby Hill would know "that ain't right"

I just shoot it them the neck/spine and be done with it. seems unnecessary to waste the heart like that to me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Nothing wrong with that shot at all.

I shot a doe in the shoulder this year with a muzzle loader. The shot ruined a lot of meat and hit both lungs but no bone. She still ran a good 100 yards.

Sorry to spoil anybody's view of hunting, but "boom flop" is less common than a short run.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I've shot deer with a .454 Casull using 260 grain HPs. There was no heart left and they still ran. One actually jumped 8 feet up in a tree while on a dead run and got stuck in a fork. [had to get the neighbor to help me get it out]
Lots of people have obviously never shot anything except paper.

Ever hear of shooting til the threat is eliminated in a self defense situation? Many times it's because a threat is dead but they just don't know it yet and in the meantime they will try to kill you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.boxofficemojo.com/images/bambi_review.jpg

I hate that movie.  

I don't know how many times someone has said "You kill Bambi!?" to me.

you should respond with "well, now you won't hit bambi with your car."
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#50]
It looks as if it was a veinous shot. If it was artrial it would be pumping. It looks like it was pumping but I belive it was from the deer running. When the deer stands still it just pours out. Or the heart was completly destroyed and blood was just flowing out of the chest cavity. I teach SABC and thats one of the ways you can tell what kind of bleeding you have. Bright red and pumping, arterial. Dark red and flowing is a veinous bleeding. Either way it did the trick. BTW nice Deer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top