Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:56:36 AM EDT
Just curious if anyone has read the book about him by Buchanan? If your a fan of Teddy Roosevelt or hunting ,read it. Its one hell of a good read, kind of like a turn of the century version of an epic arfcom thread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure did and cited it in my article about black Confederate sharpshooters.  The most important thing I got out of it for my research is how a black man, although not allowed to enlist as a fighting soldier, could be allowed to fight.  The distinction is between official Confederate policy that did not yield to having black soldiers until the very end when it was a matter of too little, too late, and the status of slaves who sometimes fought.  There are numerous Yankee reports of blacks Confederates shooting at them.  Those blacks were not soldiers. Rather, they were slaves who were permitted by their masters to fight.  It was a matter between an owner and his chattel, in this case, human property, of which the right of the owner to use his chattel as he pleased could not be infringed upon by the Confederacy.

The article was shared with many of the National Battlefield Parks and I believe Maj. John Plaster took the information from my article and used it in his book, the History of Sharpshooting and Sniping.

You can buy the article from The Company of Military Historians.  Ask for Vol. 59, Issue #2.  Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top