Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:21:32 AM EDT
My new driveway has streaks of GA red clay stains all across it.  Zud, Rust Away and even muriatic acid doesn't have much effect.  It's coming up one way or another.  Anybody know of a product that will make it a little easier and safer than dynamite?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Jack hammer.

Sounds to me like you will be fighting a losing battle. Paint it some color where it won't matter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Bleach maybe?  Worked for me on tire stains
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The problem is that concrete is porous and the red clay gets down into it. Red clay doesn't bleach very well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nope.

I have been working on a product that will remove the red clay stains off of new bricks on homes.

I have tried several formulations and have had very limited success.

AFAIK there is no commercially available product that will completly remove it.

Sandblasting works best.

If you really want to get aggressive apply a concentrated aluminum brightener acid to dry concrete, then on top of that apply a corrosive degreaser (something with caustic).

Wash this off with a pressure washer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

I have been working on a product that will remove the red clay stains off of new bricks on homes.

Sandblasting works best.

If you really want to get aggressive apply a concentrated aluminum brightener acid to dry concrete, then on top of that apply a corrosive degreaser (something with caustic).

In my area, it might be illegal to do that because of pollution issues.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If the concrete finisher stepped into some red dirt, and then continued to work, he will have put red stains down into the concrete.

If he set his trowel down on the dirt, and then used it, it will have worked the stains down in there.

Either would be about impossible to get out.

Some of us are more careful than others
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I can never get enough of the "Hivemind" threads.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...even muriatic acid doesn't have much effect....

Use a stronger concentration of muriatic acid.  If it's not working with the stuff you have, you likely are using a "consumer grade" acid.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Sandblasting works best.

In my area, it might be illegal to do that because of pollution issues.

Nope again.......it will result in a neutral solution. (unless hydrocarbons are removed along with the iron ore clay.) I should add in most areas. Some extreme envio. areas may have strict pressure washing guidelines......but in that case just using water and not capturing it would be illegal.

The only thing that would be illegal is if the run off went into a storm drain.

That is '60's technology for cleaning
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...even muriatic acid doesn't have much effect....

Use a stronger concentration of muriatic acid.  If it's not working with the stuff you have, you likely are using a "consumer grade" acid.

Muriatic will etch your concrete.

Be careful.

I make a muriatic based concrete remover that is used for concrete trucks.

It WILL munch concrete.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It's really blood isn't it?
This red clay is just a story to cover up your illicit evil doings!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
It is a result of run-off after the concrete had set.  I think sand blasting may be the only way.  F the EPA.  They can deal with a little short term pollution or a blast that will take most of north GA with it.  
Tyrant bastids.  

GD it, maybe a few blast from 2" with the 50BMG might show that concrete who the boss is!!!!  (I gotta think about that one)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I can remove blood.....and bodies....there is a lot of construction going on around here.   Deep holes waiting to be filled with concrete.  And busy bodies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

GD it, maybe a few blast from 2" with the 50BMG might show that concrete who the boss is!!!!  (I gotta think about that one)

Video.....we will need lots of video
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Muriatic acid is HCl. "Muriatic" means "from the sea"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Muriatic will etch your concrete.

Be careful.

I make a muriatic based concrete remover that is used for concrete trucks.

It WILL munch concrete.....

Agreed.  I thought about placing a "warning" on my post, but I figured if he is trying it already he MIGHT know what he is doing with it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
What ever you do......don't say 'fabulous' in a hivemind post!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's really blood isn't it?
This red clay is just a story to cover up your illicit evil doings!

+1

Next time do it in the bathroom.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Just pour a buncha nasty old used motor oil on it...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I've  removed some red clay stains up with slowly pressure washing the concrete.  It didn't work well, but it helped.

I've also put Quickrete concrete resurfacer on a stained sidewalk to make it look new.  I don't know how well it would hold-up to driving on it.

The best solution is what my boss did at his house.  After getting tired of continuously having his driveway stained by runoff red clay from construction across the street, he put an epoxy surface on the driveway.  It looks good.  He has several relative that have cars that leak oil, and to clean them up now you simply wipe-up the oil with a papertowel.  In his garage he used two custom colors with a non-slip surface in a checkerboard pattern.  It looks great.  The cheap epoxy surface he tried lasted about three months before it started peeling.  He had a customer of ours that epoxy coats industrial concrete floors sandblast it and put their coating on it, and it's lasted over five years.  If you do it, do it right.z
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I've already stopped the problem from reoccurring by replacing ALL the red clay with green's mix.  I've got some super hot, sulphuric like drain cleaner.  Will give that a try.  Then the concrete shade concrete stain just might work.  Otherwise it's going to be sandblasting or a jack hammer

Wait just a minute.....I'm gonna try a blow torch on it too just to see what it will do.  Report to follow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Bzzzz bzzzz BZZZT! Bzz bzzzzzz. . .
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Order some lab grade hydrochloric acid from Fisher Scientific.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Preassure wash that bitch with simple green.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top