Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:08:01 PM EDT
WTF.

i hear about guys shooting a gong at 200 yards and im thinking to myself.... i haven never heard of hitting a gong. i have never seen one advertised in a shooting publication. WTF are people talking about?

is this just a way of saying a metal trash can lid?

or are there actual gongs to shoot at that doesnt pucnture after hitting it with a 5.56 and 7.62*51?

help a brotha out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Uncle gets together with some of his friends every year with "Gongs" set up at 1,2,3,4, and 5 hundred yards.

Basically, it is just a Solid Piece of Curved metal, that goes "gooong" when it is hit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
the gong is just any metal target you hang out there to shoot at. I've seen steel plates, sewer access covers, and where I shoot, old scuba tanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I can only half-help you - couldn't tell you where to find them or what they're made of. I have seen them and shot them - they're pretty damned thick and look/feel like cast iron skillets. I've also seen ones that are equally thick but just look like beat-to-hell steel. I've popped ones with .45-70s LRNs at 200 yards and ones as close as 100 with 165gr .30-06 FMJs - loud and left a bit of a crater but no punch-throughs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Check here: www.mgmtargets.com/

Generally they're talking about a big piece of hardned steel. In the case of MGM targets, they're armor plating. And to answer your question, YES, they'll stand up to 7.62 for a long time as long as you're not repeatedly shooting the exact same POI inside 50 yards or so.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a gong, it's called a "beast rifle gong" I think the guy stopped making them, but you can find them if you google that. It took a LONG time to ship, but is very cool. it is made out of armor car plate and is about 2' by 3' and hangs from chains in a metal stand. When it is hit by a bullet it makes  BOING! sound and you can tell you hit it, plus it moves from the impact of the bullet.

I have also used other metal targets suspended from wires, thought it takes some experimenting to find ones that will last (we didn't know anything about metal, just bought junk from the junk hard and experimented) We had one piece of metal of an old tractor that was almost as tough as the beast rifle gong.

The beast rifle gong is REALLY tough. I have fired thousands of rounds of pistol ammo and .223, 7.62x39 and 308 at it and it looks fine. I banged it with 7mm rem mag also. Great stuff. I looked into having a run of them made, but with steel prices up I don't think I could have them made cheap enough that I could even break even on them.

They are WAY more fun to shoot than paper. The only downside is they are kind of big so you don't exactly have to be careful about your shooting form and trigger control to hit them. I got pretty sloppy in my shooting after about a year of mostly shooting gongs v. mostly shooting paper targets.

Range I belong to has gongs of various sizes, from 6" circles, to 12" squares. Anywhere from 100-200 yards. It's fun to keep hitting the 12x12" gong at 150 yards with repeat shots, keeping it moving back and forth.  Now those 6" circles at 200 are a bit tougher, but I can still hit them about 75% of the time with my Aimpoint.

And yes, the gongs are tough. Many hits with .308 or .30-06 APs, and hardly dinged at all. ..223 leaves lead smears and that's all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
plow discs
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top