Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2002 12:00:55 AM EDT
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this yet as it hasn't received much air time on tv, but a pretty serious threat may be developing in the Texas area. Seems a truck carrying a huge amount of cyanide (described as very potent)was taken by armed men and possibly, I repeat possibly might be heading toward the US. The Border Patrol is on their highest state of alert.

Not sure what these guys are up to but either they knew exactly what they were stealing or had zero idea what was on it. I just hope they catch these retards before they either try to use the stuff as a weapon or before they crash the truck. I bet the Mexican officials are hoping they don't crash and spill this into a stream or something!

Anyway, here's the full story if anyone wants to see it.... http://www.nbc5i.com/news/1457550/detail.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Troubling, but as usual, the media didn't give enough information. Was it Sodium Cyanide, Potassium Cyanide or what? If it is used for poisoning water supplies, most water treatment plants will detect it immediately before it gets to anything near dangerous concentrations. If it is used for a gas type attack, they will need to steal a tanker of acid, probably Hydrochloric, to make a big enough gas cloud to do real damage, closed spaces aside.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.nbc5i.com/news/1457550/detail.html[/url]

And here is an idea about what they could do with it.[url]http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=05052002-100113-2355r[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting the clickable URL. I apologize to everyone in regards to not being able to do so myself. Seems this is a hard site to learn to operate. I don't know how to post clickable links, quote people, nothing!At least I can field strip my AR and AK! lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Reply with quote.

-When reading someones reply, there will be a set of quotation marks at the top directly to the right of the date and time that reply was posted. click on that and it will allow you to reply with his/her quote.

Everything else.
- When you go to the reply screen and the box pops up for you to type in, the lower left of that box has "Board Code" written in red. Click on it and it will explain everything.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Reply with quote.

-When reading someones reply, there will be a set of quotation marks at the top directly to the right of the date and time that reply was posted. click on that and it will allow you to reply with his/her quote.

Everything else.
- When you go to the reply screen and the box pops up for you to type in, the lower left of that box has "Board Code" written in red. Click on it and it will explain everything.
View Quote

I'll be darned! It works! LOL. Thanks for the info. I guess that's a question I should have asked a long time ago.....but out of fear of looking stupid I hesitated. Then by not asking I confirmed I am stupid! LOL.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Truck load of cyanide stolen about the same time 25 Islamic extremists illegaly enter US.  Not good!

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,52628,00.html[/url]

Shok
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wonderful.  This is just what we need.
Someone remind me:  Are our borders still WIDE OPEN?

-Gloftoe
View Quote

you seem so insensitive.  of course our borders are wide open because we don't want to inconvenience any illegals trying to enter the country well, ah, illegally.  
carrying those suitcase nukes, explosives and other articles required to spread their special version of religious peace and love requires much effort and we should have rest stops with snacks and beverages so that they can enjoy their travels and remain fresh and rested to ensure success of their planned activities.
this also allows for posting more staff at train stations and airports to stop the real threat to freedom - passengers with nail clippers.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
What I would really love to see would be a bunch of armed civilians take these guys out as they are about to dump it into a water supply without causing any kind of spill.  Maybe that would shut the anti-gun idiots up once and for all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
really love to see a bunch of armed civilians take these guys out as they are about to dump it into a water supply without causing any kind of spill.  Maybe that would shut the anti-gun idiots up once and for all.
View Quote

Ahhhhhh--- but then it would 'prolly be Politically incoorect, or we used excessive force, someone would find something to complain about...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
really love to see a bunch of armed civilians take these guys out as they are about to dump it into a water supply without causing any kind of spill.  Maybe that would shut the anti-gun idiots up once and for all.
View Quote

Ahhhhhh--- but then it would 'prolly be Politically incoorect, or we used excessive force, someone would find something to complain about...
View Quote
Ahh, but at this point in time after 9/11 and stopping terrorists from doing something like that might wake up the majority of the public to say screw PC and anti-gunners.  In fact, bitching about excessive force might just backfire on some of these groups.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I just saw on CNN is was sodium cyanide. Im not a chemist so what would a person do with this stuff?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
really love to see a bunch of armed civilians take these guys out as they are about to dump it into a water supply without causing any kind of spill. Maybe that would shut the anti-gun idiots up once and for all.

Ahh, but at this point in time after 9/11 and stopping terrorists from doing something like that might wake up the majority of the public to say screw PC and anti-gunners. In fact, bitching about excessive force might just backfire on some of these groups.
View Quote

Just for a quick Refresher course, why don't you rent 1941 with John Belushi and Dan Akroyd, because that is what you would have. Total frickin Anarchy.

"Those Japs are sneaky Bastards,Sir?!"

Ben
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just saw on CNN is was sodium cyanide. Im not a chemist so what would a person do with this stuff?
View Quote

Mix with hydrochloric acid. You get a cloud of hydrogen cyanide. Same thing they used to flood gas chambers. A "bead" of sodium or potassium cyanide is dropped into a cup of hydrochloric acid. The hydrogen cyanide gas "boils" off and kills the lucky contestant in the hot seat...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Why in the hell do I have this sinking feeling?  

Ben
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Not specifically mentioned in your original post, [b]Charging_Handle[/b], but the truck was hijacked in Mexico. Border crossings reportedly have been put on alert, so getting this rig into the U.S. wouldn't be easy. Thus, I'm wondering if the intended target is someplace in Mexico (assuming the motive is terrorism, of course). For example, Mexico City is one of the largest, most densly-populated cities in the world, making it an ideal target for chemical attack.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Skibane,

We don't even yet know what the intentions of these people were. I mean for all we know, these armed men could have just been Mexican hoodlums who wanted a set of wheels and this rig was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They may not have had a clue what the cargo was.

On the other hand, if it was Islamic extremists behind this, you can bet money that they aren't out to get Mexico City. They are out to get us or something relating to our interests. Also, don't count on them keeping this truck. If this was a planned hijacking by terrorists you can guarantee they had a place to go to with the cyanide and a plan for getting it to where they want it. They could off-load it onto another truck and split it up and try to sneak it into the country in seperate and smaller units. Or as all one unit. This stuff could be used in any number of ways, including our food supply, mixed with acid to form a poisonous gas or in smaller amounts mixed with acid inside closed in spaces. Another possibility could be our water supply, but most water plants have detection devices that should pick this up before it reaches critical levels. Still not a pleasant thought and we may never hear anything said about it until people are dropping dead.

Another possible plan could be to use it against one of our military bases somewhere. Come to think of it, Panama isn't too far from where this was stolen. Do we still use that facility for anything? Maybe they hope to hit Gitmo in Cuba. These people are hopelessly crazy and would try anything.

At any rate I hope they catch these guys...be they terrorists or street hoodlums. Because with such a volatile cargo as cyanide....intentional or accidental release could be disasterous. I just wish the news media would cover this and the story about the arrival of possibly 25 more extremist fundamentalists into the country. Instead of worrying about some political mumbo jumbo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top