Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:45:27 PM EDT
I'm considering getting High Speed Internet (Cox) service.  Cox offers a self-install kit.  Reading what is contained in the kit, I can't find anything I need in there.  It contains cables and a splitter, but I have that.  There is a vague reference to some software contained therein, but I cannot determine what it is.  I have a browser (IE) and e-mail client (Outlook [not Outlook Express]).  When I activate and they give me an account & password, I configure my browser and mail software (and install a cable modem) and I'm good to go, right?  Or can any of you tell me what software is in that kit that I need?

Thanks in advance...
DrMark
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a modem, cat 5 to go to computer, acess to free cable line.  Call their support and have them set you up
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask if it's a USB cable modem (compatible with Windows OS) or if you will need to open the case and install a network card inside your PC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Cox HS Modem setup.  Works great.

Don't screw with it.  Call them and let them do it...that way if it fails, they fix it...free.  You muck about with it and it don't work...YOU pay to fix it.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the Cox HS Modem setup.  Works great.

Don't screw with it.  Call them and let them do it...that way if it fails, they fix it...free.  You muck about with it and it don't work...YOU pay to fix it.

JMHO.
View Quote

I [b]wish[/b] RoadRunner had a self-install when I got my cable modem.  The zit-faced "technician" screwed my computer up pretty badly and never did get my modem working.  He managed to corrupt my network configuration so badly that I gave up and reformatted.  (I do this a couple times a year just for the heck of it, anyway.  [;)])
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I let Cox do mine mid 2002...It's working great now (once Cox got rid of RoadRunner).  I have 4 machines on my lan 2 of which are wireless.

It's very cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top