Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 12:07:40 AM EDT
Does it bug you when people don't introduce themselves? I'm not talking about a huge party but at a small 'gathering'.

I was at a friends birthday party today and  maybe a fourth of the people introduced themselves to my buddies and me. There was maybe 25-30 people there. I don't expect a handy just a simple introduction maybe a handshake would suffice. It helps the party flow when people know each others names. Who wants to go to a shindig and just hang out in the corner with the group they came with?

I had a good time and met (ETA:most of the people) BECAUSE I went and socialized. Is this a lost art? Are introductions just a thing of the past?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I had a good time and met everyone BECAUSE I went and socialized. Is this a lost art? Are introductions just a thing of the past?

Would you like a cookie?
 Why do you feel the need to meet everyone there?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#2]
So you met a bunch of people instead of having a good time
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a good time and met everyone BECAUSE I went and socialized. Is this a lost art? Are introductions just a thing of the past?

Would you like a cookie?  Why do you feel the need to meet everyone there?

Here's a tip for you.

Introduce yourself at a party and you might have some friends. Maybe even a woman.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Introduce yourself?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Our culture is becoming less and less polite as a result of everyone subscribing to different social rules if they have any at all.  The rules are not there to "infringe" on your right to act like a douche, they are there to prevent misunderstanding and enhance communication,  if you do any of the things listed below then you are wrong and/or simply ignorant of your own cultures (assuming your an American).

1. wear a hat indoors
2. talk on the cellphone at the dinner table
3. bring a sidearm to the dinner table
4. eat steak with a salad fork
5. fly a US flag upside down (unless of course your hoping a passing ship will see it and rescue you)
6. the list goes on and on............

.....and while it's not actually "wrong" I am also of the firm belief that anyone who puts "steak sauce" on steak should be shot and deserves neither steak nor sauce.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Our culture is becoming less and less polite as a result of everyone subscribing to different social rules if they have any at all.  The rules are not there to "infringe" on your right to act like a douche, they are there to prevent misunderstanding and enhance communication,  if you do any of the things listed below then you are wrong and/or simply ignorant of your own cultures (assuming your an American).

1. wear a hat indoors I live alone and If I want to wear a hat in my own home that's my own business.

2. talk on the cellphone at the dinner table Again, I live (and eat) alone so if I want to take a phone call...

3. bring a sidearm to the dinner table ???

4. eat steak with a salad fork What's wrong with conserving your flatware?

5. fly a US flag upside down (unless of course your hoping a passing ship will see it and rescue you)

This one does seem kind of tacky, but the way things are going I won't fault anyone for doing it.

.....and while it's not actually "wrong" I am also of the firm belief that anyone who puts "steak sauce" on steak should be shot and deserves neither steak nor sauce.
I fully support this point

Comments and stuff.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. wear a hat indoors I live alone and If I want to wear a hat in my own home that's my own business.
2. talk on the cellphone at the dinner table Again, I live (and eat) alone so if I want to take a phone call...
This one does seem kind of tacky, but the way things are going I won't fault anyone for doing it.

.....and while it's not actually "wrong" I am also of the firm belief that anyone who puts "steak sauce" on steak should be shot and deserves neither steak nor sauce. I fully support this point

Comments and stuff.

all those assume your at a sit down dinner with others  breaking bread while armed is the height of rudeness!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fully support this point

Comments and stuff.

all those assume your at a sit down dinner with others

I would do things differently when having company or going over to a friends place.

breaking bread while armed is the height of rudeness!

Tell that to all the dinner pic posters!

Good points.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
No it doesnt bother me. I really dont like most people
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does it bug you when people don't introduce themselves? I'm not talking about a huge party but at a small 'gathering'.

I was at a friends birthday party today and maybe a fourth of the people introduced themselves to my buddies and me. There was maybe 25-30 people there. I don't expect a handy just a simple introduction maybe a handshake would suffice. It helps the party flow when people know each others names. Who wants to go to a shindig and just hang out in the corner with the group they came with?

I had a good time and met (ETA:most of the people) BECAUSE I went and socialized. Is this a lost art? Are introductions just a thing of the past?

I am afraid those types of manners are a thing of the past / better days.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No it doesnt bother me. I really dont like most people

this
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought the thread title was a set-up for this:

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hi!

I'm Brion.........pleasure to meet ya !
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Forgive me if I don't shake hands.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

breaking bread while armed is the height of rudeness!

Then what is the point of BBQ guns?  Seriously, being armed at the dinner table is not rude at all.  The rest of the stuff I can agree with you on, especially the steak sauce one.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hi my name is....

Slim Shady?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. wear a hat indoors

How does a Texan list this as a social no-no?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi my name is....

Slim Shady?

Winner.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forgive me if I don't shake hands.

You don't have to shake hands. A simple "hey I'm ______" is all I'd like.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think it's common courtesy.  I also posted this at 0200 on a Saturday morning. Probably not the most social ARFcommers on at this hour.

Night Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. wear a hat indoors

How does a Texan list this as a social no-no?

One does not go to a sit down dinner armed,  it's just not done.  I see now that I must revise the invite list for my annual "strippers in evening gowns ball".
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I am almost always armed when I sit down to eat, whether at home or out to eat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top