Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:55:17 PM EDT
Well?  Is there a way to take regular cheese and turn it into cheese dip?

When I melt cheese in the Microwave it only stays liquid for a few seconds.....

Anyway
thanks
!Matt
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Velveeta seems to be the answer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
velvetta
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Velveeta

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
melt some butter, add a little flower until it's a somewhat thick paste, then add a little milk and cheese and then heat until it becomes a nice thick dip.  Feel free to add spices and what not.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
im not a chef but i did stay at holiday in last night.....

ive seen them make a white sauce first with butter and flour then add milk. when that sauce thickens you add any grated chese you like and it will be a creamy saucy consistancy. sorry cant do in the microwave - you bachelor you
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Just buy that can of processed cheese food dip they sell over by the taco shells and refried beans. Tastes like 7-11 or movie theatre nacho cheese so it isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
im not a chef but i did stay at holiday in last night.....

ive seen them make a white sauce first with butter and flour then add milk. when that sauce thickens you add any grated chese you like and it will be a creamy saucy consistancy. sorry cant do in the microwave - you bachelor you

bullshit, I do it in the microwave all the time.  Just have to stop and mix it every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You can add a tsp of water to the velveeta for longer last.  Same for cheese.  Maybe cooking oil too, I haven't tried that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
whoops enigma snuck in on me as i was typing, another holiday inner
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
velvetta and rotel.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Use Campbell's cheese soup and milk, but just a bit of milk and add some flour to thicken.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1 the quick tasty way
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
shredded cheddar + cream

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I found some great cheese dip by the chips in the grocery store.  It was the "white" cheese dip, Monterey Jack.  This is what my wife gets for sending ME to the store.  I found some great eats there, she seems to not find this good stuff.  Whassamatta with her?

Velveta, heated, add a little milk and keep it warm, but not enough to bubble.  You can do this even better on a double boiler.

While this is melting, FINELY chop some onion, green and red peppers, not a lot, just a little, saute in a frying pan with some butter.  When the onions just start to turn clear, add the onion and peppers to the cheese.  Add a few tablespoons of salsa.

NOW get the chips, beer, kick the kids off the TV, retrieve YOUR remote, and enjoy.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
This works for me:

The Base:
6 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise

The Stuff:
1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach
1 1/2 cups thawed, chopped frozen artichoke hearts
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat base in microwave. Boil spinach and artichoke hearts for about a minute or until softened. Mix it all up and break out the chips....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Equal parts Butter + Flour = Roux... Pronounced "Rew"  (Roux should be cooked at a medium heat to remove the taste of flour)
Its the same thing that is used to thicken soups, stews and sauces
You have different types of Roux.
White Roux (Light color almost beige)
Blond Roux  (Golden color)
Do not burn the Roux (cause it tastes like crap, and an overcooked Roux loses nearly half its ability to thicken)

Another thickener is: Corn Starch + Water = Slurry
Used for Egg Drop ,Italian Wedding and other broth soups
(Slurry does not need to be cooked but when added to a soup or sauce the soup/sauce needs to be at a low boil in order for it to thicken.)

OR

If You Wanna Do It The Easy Way You Can Use Velvetta
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And hot sausage.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Another good dip is

Mayo
Sour Cream
Onion Powder
Diced Green Onion
Garlic powder or fresh
And a touch of Ranch Dressing

People will love you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top