Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2002 8:30:05 AM EDT
[url]http://cbs2.com/AP/APTV/State/CA/n/CA--People-Heston-kn/news_html[/url]

Good wishes help Charlton Heston in Alzheimer's battle

Sunday August 18, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) Oscar-winning actor Charlton Heston has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of concern by well wishers following his announcement earlier this month that he has symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease.

Heston said a telephone call last week from President Bush meant a great deal.

``He wished me well and was proud of what I had done for my country,'' the actor told the Los Angeles Times. ``Which is, perhaps, overstating it a little.''

Heston has also received calls from Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and former First Lady Nancy Reagan, whose husband, former President Reagan, also has the degenerative brain disease.

During the conversation, Nancy Reagan gave Heston and his wife, Lydia, her private phone number and encouraged them to call. ``She talked to Lydia and to me, and it was really a nice thing for her to have done,'' said Heston, 77. ``She didn't really need to do that. After all, she's the president's wife.''

In his first interview since his Aug. 9 videotaped announcement, Heston said he has no plans to retire from acting. ``I feel the way I have been always feeling,'' he said. ``Now, I understand the chances are very slim that they will remain that way.''

Heston, who won a best-actor Oscar for ``Ben-Hur,'' said he has a movie project this fall, but was reluctant to discuss it.

Heston, who has served as president of the National Rifle Association since 1998, said he plans to continue his political activism and will hit the campaign trail this fall on behalf of candidates, both Republican and Democrat, with similar beliefs.

When asked what he meant when he said in his announcement that he was facing the future with courage and surrender, Heston said: ``Sooner or later, the man with the scythe comes along and says, 'It's time.'''

When that time comes, Heston said he would like to say, ``OK. I had a great run.''

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if he said anything to her about her cancer?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think he told her to keep lighting up those marlboros.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think he probably forgot all about it.
Its easy to forget things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top