Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:02:48 AM EDT
I know this is a gun board, but with so many people visiting I thought it might be worth a try asking this here.

I have a freind who had a stroke last winter and only has use of his one arm. This man loves to fish. I saw him today and I guess I wasn't thinking and asked him if he was getting ready to do some fishing. His eyes teared up and he looked at me and said in one of the most sad voices I have ever heard "How Mike....how?"  It was all I could do to keep the tears back myself. I told him that there must be a way he could still fish and I would ask around.

Have any of you guys have a suggestion, idea, book, video, website, whatever that could get someone fishing that only has use of one arm?

Thank you,
Mike/Sandman67  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The solution may be as simple as going fishing with him and helping him do it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to rig up some kind of belt to hold the rod and he could set the hook and reel with his good arm.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Can he turn the reel?

If so, you do all the casing and hook setting.

Try getting a hold of a rehab center at a hospital.  My uncle is on a vent and can't go out much, let alone move at all.  And they have take the people who are on vents fish before.  I don't know how they did it exactly but, they had pics of the patients in the hall.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
fhnbinc.org/gear.html#shake

that is amazing.

Sandman, if you can swing it, you are going to make this guys year.

make sure to check out the whole page, it is brilliant adaptives
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My advice...

Just take him.. bring the fishing gear, and just experiment.

You and him just need to be patient.. and keep an open mind.

He should be able to cast with one arm, and you should find some type of support that he could use to hold the fishing pole.. while he reels it back in.

The bottomline here is; (probably common sense)

Its not how well he fishes.. or what he catches etc. Its that he is out, giving it a try. He can't give up, and he'll need you there to push and guide him.

My 2 cents.

Some links;

www.sheltonproducts.com/handicap.html

www.howellstackle.com/products.html

Good luck.. let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The solution may be as simple as going fishing with him and helping him do it.

exactly... make it work.  I know for me, half of fishing is just being out on the water with my buddies.  Invite him out like it's just another day.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a public  tv show here in Kentucky called "Kentucky Afield".  The host of the show has no right arm, not sure how he lost it but even with a prostetic arm he has no movement or control over it al all.  This guy get's out and hunts with a rifle and even a bow and arrow.  He also does a lot of fishing.  So it can be done.

Here's a link to the show.  They have an email address.  Maybe you can explain the situation and they can give you some pointeres on how to get him started.  fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=191&NavPath=C105
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I know Cabela's used to sell a reel with a small motor that reeled the line in for you. I'm thinkig it was with the salt water stuff, so you might want to check there first.

Kevin
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
All you need to do is clamp his fishing rod to a big CB antenna mount spring, and let him take it from there.

He can run the reel with one hand, if it's not swiveling all over the place.   Stake the spring into the ground on shore, or modify a rod holder in a boat.

Hell, I might even try this myself -- I can't believe I haven't thought of it before.  

ETA:  Usual disclaimers apply; Always wear full-face protection when approaching ANY preoccupied, excited, or distracted fisherman.  Experimenting with fishing gear may yield unexpected results.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I am not sure of what kind of fishing you guys do but here in Fl. some of the commercial fishermen use electric reels. These are saltwater rigs for large fish and probably would not be appropiate for fresh water fishing. I have heard of stroke victims here using these reels when they have the use of only one arm. It sure would be worth looking into, maybe they make them already for handycap fresh water anglers and if not maybe one could be custom made. Any one who would help someone participate in a hobby he can't do anymore is truly a good friend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on the Cabellas...I remember seeing it in a catalog.   Bass Pro may have something similar
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe purchase a Shimano Spirex reel so that he can cast with one hand. Also found this which could hold the pole while he retrives the bait. www.3rdgrip.com/pages/1/index.htm Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I think that both of you will feel really good if you go out and give it a try.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Like others have already said, just take him out there and I am sure you will figure something out. Just getting out will be a great start.

I also found these sites.
Access to Recreation

Elec-tra-mate
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#18]
doggone it... there must be some dust in the air here again......

we have some really great people here.......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys are awesome. I will spend the next few days checking out all the links you all have provided and tell him that yes Bob, there is a way you can still fish. This guy was so sad it hurt to talk to him. But after seeing some of the things here, I know he does not have to lose his favorite pastime.

He should be ok money wise, but I really do appreciate that offer BK

Thank you,
Mike/Sandman67
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Effin ARFCOM.......

Good onya...all of ya!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
My mother had a stroke years ago (almost dies because of it and went through years of rehab)...she basically has the use of one side of her body and is confined to a wheelchair most of the time...

She has found many ways to adapt and to live a fairly normal life...goes to the grocery store by herself, cooks dinner by herself, and so on... amazes me all the time.

She has worked with the diasbled all of her life (she was a vocational rehabilitation counselor), and ironically became disabled herself. Finished her MSW after her stroke, in fact...

I think she could offer this guy some advice...

IM sent with her E-mail...

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
My daughter had a stroke at birth, now 13 going on 14 years later, she still has problems with her left hand. Being a baby it was a easier transition since babys dont know anything, they adapt quicker than an adult. She can use her left arm to an extent, but when she was smaller and I would take her to a pond to fish, I would bait her hook and everything, got her a zebco 33, the one with the push button, she got where she could throw it pretty well, when she would catch a fish she would stick the butt of the rod in her chair and crank with her right hand. She would loose a couple of course, but to a kid, the excitement is seeing the bobber go down, right? If she would catch one too big she would just hollar Daddy! and I would help, she didnt mind at all. Shes a straight A student now and has a wonderfull ability to draw, and wants to be a artist or designer after college. It is managable for her to fish, but, you will have to help out also. In time it doesnt really matter if they catch anything or not, just being out there. Just remember its all about them, and your friend is lucky to have you as a bud. Good luck and God bless.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Google  Lure Launcher  also,maybe the ticket alone or with some of the other suggestions. Sometimes people need a friend to point out the situation isnt as bad as it seems. Adapt and overcome.
A friendof mine(PH at D-Day,court steno at Watergate,) had a stroke. He loved to shoot the M-1 Garand. Got him to coach younger shooters and get an Ar15.  Adapt and overcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top