Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
Brake bleeding.  I had this dreadful chore on my list due to my aversion of replacing calipers, master cylinder and most importantly, the ABS unit.  I got a MityVac hand pump to ease the chore only to be disappointed in the bubbles leaking around the threads on the brake bleeder screw.  The instructions suggested a layer of grease to seal the thread leakage but that didn't seem right, grease=thickened oil and oils are bad for brake systems.

What did I use?  Plumber's putty.  Cheap, on hand and worked for the remaining three corners.  I rolled a 1/8" diameter "rope" and wraped this around the screw/caliper joint.  Perfect seal and easily removed.  No chance of it migrating to inside the brake system.

Just got back from a test run.  Could not get the wheels to lock.  And that is a good thing because the pedal is rock hard and the ABS is working properly.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a great tip!

I had the same problem several weeks ago. I tried using a vacuum pump, but eventually ended up pumping the master cylinder by hand instead...Damned bubbles!

Speaking of vacuum pumps, I see a lot of used moisture aspirator pumps at thrift stores around here. They're powered by 120 VAC, are commonly used for relieving medical respiration problems, and normally generate positive air pressure (essentially, a glorified aquarium pump). However, the two of them I bought also had a vacuum side fitting on the pump motor that wasn't connected to anything. All I had to do was open the case, move the air hose over to this fitting, and viola: A vacuum pump for $5!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top