Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/21/2016 7:40:21 AM EDT
Here`s the deal.  My wonderful FIL is a retired family GP. He was a small town DOC for fifty years and is in a home now. His office was in a residential structure about fifty yards from his residence. Wife and I were "cleaning out" his office space a while back.  I was specifically looking for drug samples, unused script forms , dangerous drugs etc. I found everything I thought and was able to properly dispose of all that I found. Later that day my wife comes walking out of the office saying "Look what I found!"

It was a pair of cans of ether (unopened) from the FIFTIES! They had been in a cabinet in the "kitchen" area of the office. I know this is some BAD stuff so I quickly grabbed them and set them on the ground without them blowing up in my hands. Later I moved them back into the office into a secure place and we locked the doors. I have called the fire dept. ( no help) the sheriffs office ( no help) the ATF (no help) and several hazmat disposal companies ( no help). These cans have white crystals around the edges of the lids (picric acid?) and I`m at a loss as to what to do with them. I`m afraid to transport them due to the explosion risk. Any ideas from all you brilliant folks out there in ARF land?

I , if I could safely transport them , have a place to shoot them and maybe have some tannerite fun but putting them in an ice chest in the bed of my truck and then being possibly rear ended on a 200 mile trip doesn`t seem to smart.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not nitroglycerin -- I'm not sure I understand where the danger is.  You can buy ether at your local auto store.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not nitroglycerin -- I'm not sure I understand where the danger is.  You can buy ether at your local auto store.
View Quote

It becomes unstable over time.  As flammable as gasoline if I recall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more flammable than gasoline to begin with.  

It's still not some kind of an explosive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Potato gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You called the fire Dept over cans of starter fluid?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if serious......
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure whether to or or
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Open  cans outside.

2. Let evaporate.

3.Dispose of empty cans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm assuming since they're in cans that you can't see if crystals have formed.  The peroxide crystals are what explode, not the diethyl ether.  Do not try to open the cans.  The crystals often form on the threads and the friction of opening the can may detonate them.

Seriously, this is the time to call 911.  We had a similar incident for which the bomb squad had to be called onto campus when I was teaching during grad school.

And whatever you do, don't move the cans again!  (That's like Bugs Bunny testing for artillery shell duds.)

edit:

Yes, I'm a professional chemist with extensive experience in organic syntheses.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Even unopened Ether can form crystals of explosive peroxides. Which is why the OP is seeing crystals on the outside of the cans. The OP shouldn't move them AT ALL if he's seeing crystals forming around the caps. What he should be doing is getting in touch with any hazardous waste disposal companies in his AO.

I'm not sure where in Texas you are OP but here's a list of hazardous waste disposal companies in Texas.

Hazardous Waste Disposal

Also, tag for update and outcome. Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Gramps a junky?

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Your not getting any help because it's not what it seems, throw it away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Put them back on the curb and put a free to pickup ad on craigslist.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the responses guys. I`m aware of the "crystals on the lid issue" but I never the less have to move them some way. None of the hazmat guys I spoke with would do anything. At this point I`m thinking move them outside if possible and use a pellet gun to punch a hole in them from a safe distance. This is in my old home town that has "grown up" and now it is illegal to discharge  a BB gun in the city limits. I don`t know personally anyone on the fire dept. anymore even though a very close friend lives across the street and is a retired VFD chief from back in the day.

For you pros that responded,,,is there ANY safe way to move them again? Am I likely to be blown up, burned to death by trying?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Set them in a tree and shoot them!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Just open and allow them to evaporate...
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#17]
BTW I googled and found a video of the ATF disposing of a similar can and it made a LARGE boom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#18]
call your State Police.
ask for their Hazard /Bomb Team Head. if nothing else sometimes they like to use situations like this for training. I'm surprised the Fire Dept didn't jump on it like a Russian Oil Tycoon and a miniature giraffe.

this is a tricky deal. I agree that a hazmat team should be called out. I deal with chemicals daily. 60 year old Ether with crystal erosion and building is sketchy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
call your State Police.
ask for their Hazard /Bomb Team Head.

this is a tricky deal. I agree that a hazmat team should be called out. I deal with chemicals daily. 60 year old Ether with crystal erosion and building is sketchy.
View Quote

That is the ONE group that I have not called. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
If it has crystals that is bad and needs a bomb disposal team.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Light that shit on fire. From a distance, of course.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Now I'm confused. Is the stuff really dangerous, or is OP being a ninny?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now I'm confused. Is the stuff really dangerous, or is OP being a ninny?
View Quote

It's dangerous. The little crystals are what are unstable. Over time the Ether becomes unstable and as crystals form it becomes explosive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Ether, "does this rag smell funny to you"
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I`m guessing here but each can has appx. 2 grams of crystals that have built up around the lid/caps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#26]
There is NO safe way for you to move it.  The bomb squad will transport an explosion-rated container into the house and have some dude in EOD armor place the cans in the container.

Let's take a step back and see what the worst case scenario is:

If that stuff detonates during transport, it will spray and ignite the diethyl ether.  Heaven forbid it happens within your house.  Whatever you're imagining, it can be a lot worse.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Send it to Bill Cosby

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Not sure how I would handle it.

But I do know I'd document everything you've done to dispose of it safely and who you've contacted. That way if something does go wrong, you'll be able to tell whoever that you did everything possible to dispose of it correctly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#30]
You have several small pipe/can bombs that can go off whenever the fuck they want.

Weird that no one wanted to help
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Tagging for outcome
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#32]
This "clean up" has been a process. There is also an old functioning x-ray machine. The structure has no real value other than it has become a "cost" center with regards to settling his estate. I just don`t want anyone to get hurt. I found the info on the DPS website for their bomb squad. I`ll call them this morning. Don`t know what to expect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This "clean up" has been a process. There is also an old functioning x-ray machine. The structure has no real value other than it has become a "cost" center with regards to settling his estate. I just don`t want anyone to get hurt. I found the info on the DPS website for their bomb squad. I`ll call them this morning. Don`t know what to expect.
View Quote

Hide you dog, just to me sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
call your State Police.
ask for their Hazard /Bomb Team Head. if nothing else sometimes they like to use situations like this for training. I'm surprised the Fire Dept didn't jump on it like a Russian Oil Tycoon and a miniature giraffe.

View Quote

+1

50 years old?  It's especially dangerous if the cans were partially empty.  

What size are they?  I'm imagining a gallon each.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#35]
From memory they appeared to be full. Quart size cans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I`m guessing here but each can has appx. 2 grams of crystals that have built up around the lid/caps.

View Quote

It's also the crystals that have settled to the bottom of the container you have to worry about.  If they detonate, they will disperse all the ether and you'll get a secondary fuel-air explosion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Dibs?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#38]
pour it into the nearest storm drain. Its not exactly rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Out of curiosity, any pics of what you're working with??
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
No pics. I`m 200 miles away. Won`t be back for a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Set them in a tree and shoot them!
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag for outcome.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
call your State Police.

View Quote

This.

Diethyl ether peroxide formation is no joke and can explode due to friction or impact. Don't touch or move the items any more. Do not expose them to light any further. If you have to ignore the aforementioned, then also don't open them up for evaporation - which will only form additional unstable Diethyl ether peroxide.

Lots of jihadi's around the world have either failed embarrassingly or have been killed or maimed themselves in trying to produce TATP which is peroxide based - and very powerful, but unstable - explosive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Send it to Bill Cosby

View Quote

I came here to post this.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#45]
All you need now is a cargo van and duct tape.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#46]
What has this country come to?

I would build a small fire, maybe two a couple yards apart.

Put the cans in the center of the fire (don't light it yet).

Coat everything with gasoline, then make a nice trail about 50 yards away or so, unless you have roman candles.

Light trail, step behind cover.

It's starter fluid.  I could go to any farm around here and find old cans of it laying around.

Not something to go full retard over.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#47]
How did we ever win WWII?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Good luck, man.  We're all counting on you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#49]
The only logical thing to do it bring them to an empty field and set them on fire
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Tannerite is the answer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top