Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2002 6:04:49 AM EDT

I have a high speed internet connection. It works great unless I set the browser security settings the way I want them. If I do that I might as well be on a 1200 baud modem. It is very slow.

Is there a way to make my browser as secure as I want it and still browse at acceptable speeds?

I do have a router and firewall software but am tired of having to reformat my hard drive every 4 to 6 months because my virus software has somehow become disabled. Among other things.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View Quote

/me suggests telling us what browser you're using first :)

PS As if I didn't know ;)
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of security settings are you wanting that is causing your connection to slow down?

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Kar98, maybe I have my tinfoil hat on too tight, but, I want absolutely zero intrusion into my computer or information sent from my computer that I don't have total control of.

Call me obsessive. I at least want to cut it to a minimum. So I don't want to run any scripting, no cookies, no active X controls etc. I tried turning them all off. Then to prompt, but I was constantly having to allow or disallow scripting or cookies.

I wouldn't mind formatting my hard drive if it wasn't that I use my computer for other things besides browsing. I was thinking about a second computer but can't do it right now.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm using Explorer
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to [url]www.zonealarm.com[/url] and get the [b]FREE[/b] zonealarm firewall. And leave your browser on the default.

[8D]

editad do to speeling difikalty
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, with Internet Explorer 6 (plus all the updates from the Windows Update site) I can turn off all cookies (and turn them on for certain sites only, if I feel like it), turn off all active x and scripting crap, doesn't seem to slow down browsing as such. In short, I've set it to the highest safety mode,
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks, I'll try upgrading. I'm using 5.0 now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top