Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2015 8:09:59 PM EDT
I put this in the revolver forum, but figured on more traffic here.

I was given a Smith and Wesson Model 19-3 today.  S/N 2K20xxx.  It came in a plastic hard case with
badly deteriorating foam.  It has been in this case for at least 7 years.

It looked like hell when I took it out of the case.  The foam adhered to the gun and made me
think the bluing would be shot.

Once cleaned of all the foam and old gunk, it looks pretty good, some holster wear but not
too bad.

My wife is now wanting it for her nightstand gun.

I have two questions.

First, where should we look for nice grips for this gun, that would fit a smaller hand (the avg woman's hand)?
The worn grips on it are the S&W standard wooden (target?) stocks, they look pretty bad and she does not
like the feel.

Second, where would I look for new foam for the case, or should I just toss it?

Thanks.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hogue grip is decent.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The model 19 is a K-Frame same as the model 10. K-Frame grips are abundant and available in so many different configurations they will please anyone. Just shop around and find what she likes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My 4" Model 19 is probably a 19-4; I can't say enough good about it.

It's a S&W K-frame, so start with Google and "S&W k frame grips" and you'll find plenty.  Depending on your wife's hand size, you may want small to medium grips.  I don't know if the 19-3 has a square or round butt, but make sure you get the right kind of grip.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have boot grips from Craig Speigel.  Mine are Rosewood.

online photo storage" />

host image" />
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I cant see your pics, but I 'll google the name. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

When I quoted your post and posted mine, I CAN see your pics if I click on the link in the quote.
I will definitely look at those.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
They come up for me so I don't know why you can't.  He makes fantastic custom grips.  Ahrends is another name but Speigel is the best in my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, walk into a big gunstore with lots of grips.  Have her try some out on the '19 to see what her hand likes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I waited about 6 months for mine and that was about 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely a pair that fill in the valley between the TG and grip (like posted above). That will help with smaller handed users.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definitely a pair that fill in the valley between the TG and grip (like posted above). That will help with smaller handed users.
View Quote

Thank you for that heads up, I did not know that.  I 'll have the wife look at both of his recommendations.
Still have not figured out how this gun became hers............

ETA  should have also said she would like to dress it up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Hogue grip is decent.
View Quote

They sort of look like this.........

Sorry, I can't remember if this one is a genuine Hogue.  I got them with the purchase of the revolver.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Ahrends Grips
They are noticeably thinner than the stock S&W grips.
Is it a square butt or round butt?
Some examples. There are other styles.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
When I first started policing we were issued the model 66 which is the stainless version of the 19. I was partial to the stock

wooden grips. Take a pic of the open cylinder with the ejector star pushed open.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.herrettstocks.com
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Pachmayr SK-GP Gripper Professional grips.  About $40.  You can thank me later for ending her search early.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Grips need to fit the individual.

When I carried a K frame full time as a uniform duty gun, I used Pachmayr Presentation Grips.  There are several variations to the Pachmayr theme.  So be sure to check out the entire line that will fit a K frame.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to spend crazy money you can have Keith Brown make you a set.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally am a fan of the old S&W "Magna" grips combined with a grip adapter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Try Ahrends Grips
They are noticeably thinner than the stock S&W grips.
Is it a square butt or round butt?
Some examples. There are other styles.

View Quote

I'll second the Ahrends grips.  I have them on K,L, and N frames.  The original target grips are a bit large but the Ahrends are just the right size for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to all who responded.  We finally got a set of S&W finger groove stocks.  She loves them

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have small hands and use the Hogue wood grips on my M19. They are great.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Holy cow, MOST of this thread is folks just showing off their (very) pretty K frame grips without regard to actually solving your wife's problem. If you want to spend big bucks on some gorgeous grips that might not work at all for her, go ahead.

On the other hand, follow the advice of the couple of folks that have suggested the Hogue rubber grip, or the Pachmayr Gripper Professional. She will feel that the texture on either will help her hold on to the gun better and they are both relatively small while having material in the right places to cushion some recoil. Both, however, do leave the backstrap open, which will transmit steel to the web and palm of her hand during firing. My wife has a preference for the Hogue.

You might get less traffic in the revolver forum, but beware of the garbage that you have to sift through on GD, the majority of us are idiots...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
A better bet is to use the Service Stocks and the Tyler t-grip
They fit smaller hands better, and are inexpensive.

This M&P pre model 10 is a K frame, the same as the Model 19

I carried this Ruger Speed Six on the Job and has a similar Service Stock and Tyler T-grip

This Model 36 was my BUG for 20years on The Job.
Service Stocks, Tyler T Grip

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
If the stock grips are too big for her you really don't have a lot to choose from. Most after market grips fill out the frame more making the grip larger. If it was a round butt model you would have a lot more room to play with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top