Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2001 12:39:16 PM EDT
Greetings Everybody,
                   My wife and I are planning on buying our first house together next summer. And I need some suggestions on good locations.

Currently we are living in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia (ugh!).

Here are our needs:

(1.) Warm Climate, Job Availability, Low Taxes, Cheap Homes, decent schools.
(2.) VERY PRO - GUN and Conservative (my requirements..since I am further to the right than Barry Goldwater ever was..)
(3.) hopefully a chinese community nearby.

(4.) We want to buy a new home from a Builder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
BostonTerrier...

I'm imprisoned in PRKalifornia as well.  

If you're a techie think about Austin, TX. It's a nice place - gets a bit warm but electricity is cheap, so you can press that nice A/C button.
Prob a bit slow now due to tech slump but that'll end eventually.

Austin gov't per se can be a little ditzy-liberal, but by & large middle class folks are pretty conservative.

No state income tax. Property tax varies by sewer & school district so look into that when you're selecting homes.  Plenty of new homes  around last time I checked (1997).

And you're in TX so no gun issues. (CCWs.  Lotsa places to shoot too - many pawn shops, etc have indoor 100yd ranges.)

Given that UT & high tech are present in the area there are quite a few folks of Asian descent there although prob not a real "Chinatown" or Chinese community nearby.

And it's a nice area too.

-Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some good tech opprotunities in the Dallas area also. Even if you aren't interested in that kind of job, Dallas is a big place and I'm sure you could find something you would like. It is definately a warm climate, I pray for snow in the winter. As bwiese said, there are hardly any gun issues at all and once licensed you can carry almost everywhere. There are a couple of Chinese communities in the area and plenty of new homes for you to buy. Another thing, the overall Dallas attitude is much farther to the right than that in Austin.

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top