Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 4:02:38 PM EDT
Somehow I got this annoying "passthrough" software on my home 'puter and I can't get rid of it.

My home page is AR15.com.  However, when I boot up Internet Explorer, I get the following page:

http://v2603.ecpm.com/passthrough/index.html?http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=5

I've searched for and deleted the following terms from my PC, but still get this annoying page:  v2603, ecpm and passthrough.

What else can I do to get rid of this???

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try going to your Tools menue and clicking on Internet Options.  You can set your homepage there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just use Netscape or Mozilla?

[url]www.mozilla.org[/url]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not just use Netscape or Mozilla?

[url]www.mozilla.org[/url]
View Quote
b/c they both suck?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Swire, did that, still get the passthrough crap before it goes to AR15.com where its supposed to go, but the tool bar crap comes with it.

Troy and Big Bear, thanks for the help.  I'll try it when I get home tonight.  I recall a popup that only had one option for clicking and I couldn't get rid of it, I must have hit the "accept" button too soon.

Thanks for the help.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I downloaded Ad-aware and ran a scan about 8 times before I got 0 returns and I deleted (quaranteed) all the files it found.  The software still sent me to a strange place for my home page and I still have the annoying search bar at the top.

Any other ideas?

thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
no run spybot-search&destroy, it will catch a few things that adaware doesnt, i use both.

[url]http://security.kolla.de[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, rebooted and the Passthrough crap seems to be gone and the IE home page stays AR15.com GD page, which is good.  Progress.

I still have the annoying search bar, but I went to the "View" and "Toolbars" menu and found out that the annoying searchbar is labeled:  "dgpssjmchwi", all lower caps.  Did a seach of my hard drive and found no results.  I can turn off the searchbar, but I'd rather get rid of it permanently.

I'm running Spybot now (thanks Freeride!) and getting lots of hits.  I guess I'll have to read the Help file to find out what to do about them.

Any ideas on getting rid of the "dgpss.." searchbar??

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
go into Control Panel / Add Remove Programs. anything there that does not belong should be removed

if you have questions about what can be removed safley or what should post here. someone can help you out. Seachbars generally have actual instal entries in the add/remove programs panel.

lop.net, distributed.net NewNet Domains, ect. all should be removed if seen.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Something that's a little ironic; we have a problem with renegade software that is doing more/different than it should (spyware).  The answer?  Go to an unknown wbsite and download some unknown (to you) software and run it!

And everyone always does it without question.

How do we know what this new software really does, or really is?  Gator sounded good when we downloaded it, as did WeatherBug.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok im gonna pass this little hint along.

DONT EVER EVER INSTALL SOMETHING A WEBSITE TELLS YOU DO INSTALL WITH A POPUP...GATOR, BONZAI BUDDY, COMET CURSOR...YOU NAME IT!

IF IT ASKS IF IT CAN PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR COMPUTER...[B]JUST SAY NO![/B]

also..download "accellerators" are up there on my list of CRAP.

there is a bit of discretion that goes along with this...use common sense.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ad aware as recommended the best piece of software you can have on your computer, period
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok im gonna pass this little hint along.

DONT EVER EVER INSTALL SOMETHING A WEBSITE TELLS YOU DO INSTALL WITH A POPUP...GATOR, BONZAI BUDDY, COMET CURSOR...YOU NAME IT!

IF IT ASKS IF IT CAN PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR COMPUTER...[B]JUST SAY NO![/B]

also..download "accellerators" are up there on my list of CRAP.

there is a bit of discretion that goes along with this...use common sense.
View Quote

Cynic
;)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Weatherbug?  What evil does that one do??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Start - Run - regedit

This gets you into the registry where all this pop up crap hides. But don't ask me what to delete.

I once found a web site that told me what to delete in there and it got rid of all ecpm spy software I had.

Search google under regedit and you might find something.

Not much help but Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Along those same lines...what do you do when the install/un-install program will not un-install?

I have some crap on mine that will not un-install...it won't let me un-install. What do I do?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It calls your boss and tries to get you fired. [:D]

Actually it's benign.

[url]http://ww3.weatherbug.com/WCAU/default.asp?cid=211[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It used to install Gator, a spyware; and another one that escapes me.  I'm glad they cleaned this up.
This was several years ago; they may have been duped at the time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This page tells you how to get rid of it.

[url]www.doxdesk.com/parasite/lop.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who the hell is Mitnick?
View Quote

He's the friendly fellow who helped me with my computer about 10 years ago, I think.   Sorry, I have to go --  it's another phone call about some stuff I never ordered or received.....
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#24]
There was a thing that went around just over a year ago, GoHip.  It would hijack your homepage, no matter how many times you reset it, each time you rebooted, back to GoHip. Also, when you tried to go to Ebay, it would hijack you and send you to their auction site.  

No one who got this knows how it got on their computer.  It spread like a virus through email, but was not considered a virus.  Only known cure was to go to the GoHip site and download an uninstall.

Many programs that come with spyware (the game Mahjong is one) will leave the spyware even after you uninstall the program.  This crap hides way down in the registry and reinstalls itself each time you reboot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm running Spybot now (thanks Freeride!) and getting lots of hits.  I guess I'll have to read the Help file to find out what to do about them.

View Quote

Once Spybot has finished it's scan it will have a list of the spyware it's found in the main window. At the bottom of the window should be a button labelled "fix problems" (or words to that effect. Not at home right now). I click that and it deletes all the spyware it found. I haven't had any other problems so spyware isn't messing up any of the legitimate software for me, just the spyware.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Everytime I open Internet Explorer I get additional windows opening for crap like:

"The amazing X2L Camera"

- or -

"Robotic internet cam"

and other crap.  Any way to stop those without giving up IE??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Spyware is pretty good crap.  I was gonna recommend it, but I was WAY to late.  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I just finished getting rid of the same sort of problem.  Every time I started Explorer, I'd get some search page.  I downloaded Ad-Aware and it found/deleted a bunch of files, but the problem was still there.  Last night, I bought/downloaded McAfee's virus scan software and ran it.  After almost two hours of scanning, it found four infected files files and deleted them.  No more problem.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I ended up with "Xupiter" crap on my computer one time.  It was the only software I couldn't figure out how to get rid of.  I killed it, disabled it, and hacked though it, but it's bloody carcass stuck with the machine until it finally ended with a total system reload.

"Scratch-n-Win cards" are another one that I used to get.  It seemed like every other day it would show up.

People that load software onto your computer without your consent or knowledge ought to be shot and stabbed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top