Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:24:06 PM EDT
Saw this one late at night many years ago, I would like to find it now and watch the whole thing. Here's what I can recall...

It was a black and white movie, set in the pacific jungles during WWII. The climactic scene was an all-night defense of an American Marine position, a line of entrenched foxholes, and the hero character had a .50 cal and a box of hand grenades. There was Banzai charge after Banzai charge, and in the end the only one left alive was the hero (and the cameraman).

I had THOUGHT that this was an Audie Murphy movie, but in looking over his filmography I don't think that's right.

BTW, this is NOT the Robert Wagner movie where the small platoon has foxholes dug up to the edge of a cliff, overlooking the river. That was a cool movie too but not the one I'm looking for. (jeez, I'm bad with titles).

I know this isn't much to go on but can any of you guys tell me what movie this is? Hope it's avalable on DVD, but that may be wishful thinking.

THANKS
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Back to Bataan?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Back to Bataan?

my thoughts too ....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Bataan. If the last guy on the MG is Robert Taylor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
And it was an Army unit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Correction.

I meant to say Bataan too:

Bataan

For a while I thought it might be The Pride of the Marines, so I went to double-check.
But Bataan seems to be it.

Back to Bataan has John Wayne in it and has a happy ending.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, "BATAAN" sounds promising from the description.

""Bataan" is the fictional story of 13 men who stayed behind, holding a bridge, and fighting to the death a rear guard action to ensure the success of the Allied forces retreat from the Philippines...

The audience live with the soldiers their last heroic days: George Murphy, an Air Force Lieutenant secretly reliable; Lloyd Nolan, the smart Corporal with compassionate qualities; Thomas Mitchell, a career NCO; Deni Arnaz, a friendly Spanish soldier; Barry Nelson, the competent Matowski; Lee Bowman, the Captain who falls with a bullet; Robert Walker (in his screen debut) who almost breaks down from homesickness; Kenneth Spencer, the black soldier with an undisturbed force and simple dignity, and Robert Taylor, the tough heroic Sergeant alive in the face of the enemy, who sets up his machine gun and keeps it firing until the end..."

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a John Wayne movie. Amazon has a double feature deal with BOTH Bataan and Back to Bataan for $11. I preordered one (release at the end of Aug) and we'll see if that's the movie I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help guys! I'll let you know!

And now I'm wondering...was this a trilogy? Bataan, Back to Bataan, and then maybe Episode III, The Empire Strikes (Bataan) Back?

Nevermind....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Bataan was made in 1943!  That's damn near live!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the movie starred Jeffrey Hunter. Not sure of details. He was one of three left  in the squad providing cover.
Age has certainly clouded my memory.hould
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the movie starred Jeffrey Hunter. Not sure of details. He was one of three left  in the squad providing cover.
Age has certainly clouded my memory.
I should of read the rest of the thread

Jeffrey Hunter:

The Frogmen (1951)
imdb.com/title/tt0043565/

Hell to Eternity (1961)
imdb.com/title/tt0053901/
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Pride of the Marines- maybe?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember this movie to and am thinking more along the lines of 'Pride of the Marines.'

Here is an exceprt from the IMBD review section by Michael Bo.

"The film is about Philadelphia smart alec John Garfield who goes to war as a marine and after a nightmarish evening in a foxhole, with Japanese soldiers eerily crying out at him and his buddies "Mariiines, tonight you die!", he is blinded by a hand-grenade, and dumps his girlfriend back home rather than have to depend on her after coming home."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top