Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:06 AM EDT
My systems is getting old, and now my CD rom died on me. I bought it in 2000. yea some of you would cringe but everything costs money, even ammo.

I'd like to be able to play some of the newer games, but I don't have to have it high resloution photo realistic like some of the programs are able to do with the right hardware.

I would really really like wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Hell I'd say wireless everything but they probably don't have that. Other than word processing, games and the internet I will not really use it for much else. I'm not trying to solve the mysteries of the universe on my machine and need the number crunching power. I like the flat screen monitors because of space reasons but they are on the pricey side.

I don't want to spend a lot of money. What does the computer nerd crowd say?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 9:45:10 AM EDT by operatorerror]
Not a computer nerd. Heck, I'm lucky that I can remember how to turn the danged thing on! But I just built a gaming system with my 14 y/o son. The boy is a friggen wizard!

Anyway, gaming systems are probably the most expensive systems that you can build, so be prepared.

ETA if you want high end, cutting edge stuff. If you can settle for decent performance, you'll be okay.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:47:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 9:48:14 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
I have no link to them whatsoever. I just really like their website and prices. The last 3 computers I have got for me or for other people have come from these guys.
www.xtechnology.com

You can select a motherboard with the things you want and then add components to it untill you have a computer, then they will put it all together, test it out and send it to you.

Although you do have to know a little about what you are doing. But they also have some nice pre-set-up computers for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:56:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:00:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Its fairly easy (as long as you don't screw up the MOBO and CPU compatability like I did)
Go AMD
Get ASUS Abit motherboard.

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:01:34 AM EDT
send me the parts and i'll knock it together for ya!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:02:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Its fairly easy (as long as you don't screw up the MOBO and CPU compatability like I did)
Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

add 1 gig of ram, an nvidia 6600GT video card, a dvd burner, and a 160 gig harddrive and you're done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:05:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:05:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 10:06:50 AM EDT by Max_Mike]

Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Abit looks like it may not survive the year... and Asus is better anyway.

I suggest as cheap as memory is get 2 gigs... you will need it next year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:08:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 10:09:39 AM EDT by adair_usmc]

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

and Asus is better anyway.

Dont get me wrong though, Asus isnt bad. I would rather not have a computer than have anything other than an Abit or DFI motherboard though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:10:51 AM EDT

Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

Abit is teh Suck.

Asus is the way to go. Of the 10 computers I've built using ASUS boards, I've had one failue. The fan on the chipset in my A8N SLI failed. I called up Asus and they sent me a new fan. No problem bob.

Go with an AMD 64, 939 pin set. High end NVIDIA or ATI vid cards.

SATA Hard Drives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:14:17 AM EDT
Just built a AMD Athon64 dual core 3800+, 1GB RAM, 6600GT video card, Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI (Newegg $109) for my cousin. When you can install XP Service pack 2 in 8 minutes, it is FAST!!!!

I am very impressed with the Gigabyte board, I am normally a Asus man, it came with everything but the kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:16:37 AM EDT
I am in the same boat as well. I need to build a new computer for the wife but have been out of it for a long time.

I need:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Video Card
Hard Drive (maybe)
DVD-Rom (maybe)
Power Supply

Trying to get the first four items on my list for around 200 - 250.

Is it possible to get good items for that price point?

I'm looking for specific makes / models if you guys can recommend anything.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:17:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
Just built a AMD Athon64 dual core 3800+, 1GB RAM, 6600GT video card, Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI (Newegg $109) for my cousin. When you can install XP Service pack 2 in 8 minutes, it is FAST!!!!

I am very impressed with the Gigabyte board, I am normally a Asus man, it came with everything but the kitchen sink.

How much did all that cost?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 10:19:08 AM EDT by adair_usmc]

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

Abit is teh Suck.

Asus is the way to go. Of the 10 computers I've built using ASUS boards, I've had one failue. The fan on the chipset in my A8N SLI failed. I called up Asus and they sent me a new fan. No problem bob.

Go with an AMD 64, 939 pin set. High end NVIDIA or ATI vid cards.

SATA Hard Drives.

Never said Asus made bad boards, but Abit and DFI do in fact make a superior product. Overclocking is always better on Abit boards, that is a fact.

Definately stay away from ATI cards, nvidia is the only way to go anymore. ATI is still trying to pull thier head out of their ass over the 7800 release, and wont be able to even come close with a competing product.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:20:09 AM EDT
Asus is good, but Anus computers are great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:21:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goback:
I am in the same boat as well. I need to build a new computer for the wife but have been out of it for a long time.

I need:

Motherboard
CPU
Memory
Video Card
Hard Drive (maybe)
DVD-Rom (maybe)
Power Supply

Trying to get the first four items on my list for around 200 - 250.

Is it possible to get good items for that price point?

I'm looking for specific makes / models if you guys can recommend anything.

www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=13710

Just add a HDD, PS, CDrom and case.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:24:47 AM EDT

Never said Asus made bad boards, but Abit and DFI do in fact make a superior product. Overclocking is always better on Abit boards, that is a fact.

Definately stay away from ATI cards, nvidia is the only way to go anymore. ATI is still trying to pull thier head out of their ass over the 7800 release, and wont be able to even come close with a competing product.

Abit does not make a better board. I have seen more dead ABIT boards than any other brand (well except maybe older gigabyte boards).

In my experiences I have had more problems with ABIT than ASUS and will stick with ASUS. Support is good with ASUS and the quality is far beyond ABIT.

ATI cards are also good cards. The X800 is a great card and drivers are better than NVIDIA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:30:55 AM EDT

The X800 is a great card and drivers are better than NVIDIA.

False, especially if you use Linux at all.

The 9800 series were great cards, no doubt there.

X800......not so much. Cant do HDR properly, and no SM3.0. Teh suck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:32:11 AM EDT

The X800 is a great card and drivers are better than NVIDIA.

False, especially if you use Linux at all.

The 9800 series were great cards, no doubt there.

X800......not so much. Cant do HDR properly, and no SM3.0. Teh suck.

Again you have no idea what you're talking about do you?

And no, not all of us use linux.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:48:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Go AMD

You'll be fine.

Fixed for you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Abit looks like it may not survive the year... and Asus is better anyway.

I suggest as cheap as memory is get 2 gigs... you will need it next year.

Asus A8V socket 939 is a great choice right now. Athlon 64, SATA...

Jim
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:53:15 AM EDT
www.Tigerdirect.com

you can buy the parts, barebones (semi-put-together computer), entire computer, or accessories. They even have an online tutuorial of how to put much of it together...but its always good to know someone in the business.

Essayons
Top Top